Why isn't the story of SAMPSON quickly and clearly regarded a myth?

by Terry 45 Replies latest watchtower bible

• darwin
    darwin

Terry remember this song?

In the Bible one thousand years B.C.

there's a story of ancient history

about a fellow who was strong as he could be

until he met a cheating girl who brought him misery.

Oh Delilah made sammy's life a sin

and he perished when the roof fell in

there's tomorrow so listen to me pal

there's a little of Delilah in each and every gal.

Oh run sammy' run on your mark you better start

Delilah 's on her way I soon as trust a hungry lion then a girl with a cheating heart. Song by Neil Sadaka remember him.

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

My favorite part of the account is the week long party before everything went down.

I believe the bible says "because that was the way the young fellows used to do it"

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Simon: I posted about this a while ago ( Is the WTS backing away from "Bible Tall Tales" ? ) and called him Sampson too ... so it's Samson rght?

Biblical names are usually transliterated into English (or any other language). Strong's says the transliteration is Shimshown, pronounced as shim-shon, and means "like the sun."

---------------------------

And there's more than magic hair in this story. There's also magic water: ( ch15:19) " Then God opened up the hollow place in Lehi, and water came out of it. When Samson drank, his strength returned and he revived. So the spring was called En Hakkore, fn and it is still there in Lehi."

• Terry
    Terry

DARWIN: I remember Neil Sedaka.

He's the only artist to ever record entirely reworked and rearranged versions of the same song a #1 hit TWICE with the exact same song.

" Breaking Up Is Hard To Do " (No. 1, two weeks: August 11 and 18, 1962

AND 1976 version also hit No. 1 on Billboard's Adult Contemporary chart.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Terry - "Why isn't the story of SAMPSON quickly and clearly regarded a myth?"

Because once you reclassify one Biblical epic as mythical, where do you stop?

The Exodus? The Deluge? Eden???

(or to go the other direction) The virgin birth? The miracle of the loaves and fishes? The resurrection???

x

Eventually, the temptation to dismiss it all as potentially mythical becomes too great to resist.

And that prospect is simply unacceptable for some.

• cantleave
    cantleave

mgmelkat - I think the article you linked to can be completely debunked by the sentence at the bottom..........

SOTT can’t confirm this story or the research it suggests took place , however, we have wondered on many occasions, what is the use of hair and why so many legends refer to hair as being a source of strength, from Samson, to Nazarenes, to the Long Haired Franks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit