How did your family react when you made it known that you did not want to be a JW anymore?

by Yondaime 53 Replies latest jw experiences

• Yondaime
    Yondaime

Please share your experiences.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

I was 13. I was disowned. My dad didn't speak to me for months despite living in the same small house with him, mom, 2 brothers and a sister. We have a barely workable once every few years stilted contact kind of a relationship these days. Thank god I was never baptised or it wouldn't even be that. I feel sorry for him. He has missed out on a lot.

• bigmac
    bigmac

my born in wife was appalled. it was the beginning of the end of the marriage. i was no longer her trophy jw pioneer servant public speaker catch.

• blondie
    blondie

My family had been shunning me when I was a "good" jw. I am inactive...nothing changed. jws love judging others....they will make something up

• Divergent
    Divergent

It is totally impossible for me to ever make it known to my family that I do not want to be a JW anymore. The best I can do is to fade, which I am still trying to do. It's not easy when most of the family are die-hard dubs!

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

All my siblings had left years before and welcomed me with as much love, affection and excitement you could possibly imagine. My parents were sad, but deep down totally understood due to me being married to an elder that more resembled a member of ISIS than your average husband. Even after being DF'ed, my JW parents have continued to stay very close to me through the years.

• kairos
    kairos

No support, just shunning.

---

They ( we ) were trained to love the Org/GB/Watchtower over family.

• Blackfalcon98
    Blackfalcon98

I havent told them. I've managed to open my families eyes a little to the unchristian behavior but mostly my negative comments have gotten alot of cognitive dissonance.

• Blackfalcon98
    Blackfalcon98

I havent told them. I've managed to open my families eyes a little to the unchristian behavior but mostly my negative comments have gotten alot of cognitive dissonance.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I was not baptised.

They all talked behind my back, sent elders to my door (who I sent away). They kept in contact with me, in part to borrow money, and in part . . I just don't know why.

And, in part to gripe to me about their own JW issues, and then to try to reconvert me a few days later. Strange behavior, until I figured it out. They have misgivings, voice them to me, then feel guilty, then decide to be loyal to Jah, then try to reconvert me becuase preaching solidifies their shaky faith.

Throughout all of this, they give me digs on my family, life, job, new truck, successes, compare me to others . . . oh, it's pure hell. Underneath, they really don't like me becuase I've succeeded without the cult and am happy. And, as long as they gripe about me living my life wrong, they don't have to examine their own issues. They have decided to not marry, no children, not go to college, gave up hobbies they enjoyed . . . .

I finally had to take a break from them for my own sanity. I don't hate them, but they aggravate me to no end. Been the best few months of my life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit