After Years of Silence My Father Reaches Out to Me

by truth_b_known 22 Replies latest jw experiences

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Brief history:

I was a born in. My parents were uber-dubs, but never worshipped the organization. It was always about Jehovah, Jesus, and the brothers. In other words; my parents are real christians. My father was an elder for years until we moved and he was persecuted for professing to be of the annointed.

I faded in my thirties and moved to another state. Two years after I invited my parents out to visit my family and I. It ended in a train wreck because my father tried guilting with the scriptures to get us to go back. After my parents left I believe I spoke to my father twice on the phone. Both times it was Memorial week and his tone was that of a Witness trying to encourage an inactive Witness to go back. That was 2010. We never spoke again...until recently.

My father has called me twice in the past two months. Each time he never spoke once about Witnesses, the Bible, religion, or anything related. He simply wanted to talk. He wanted to know how my family was doing. He asked me to e-mail photos of my kids.

I was floored. I believe in his old age he is realizing that family is more important that a publishing company in New York. I'm sure the recent changes in the religion have had some effect on him. How could they not? Since day one in the religion my father professed to be of the annointed, making him part of the Faithful and Discreet Slave Class and now he's just rank and file. Don't misunderstand me; he never boasted of this or expected special treatment. In fact, he was always very humble about of the subject. I didn't even know until a friend's mother told me when I was 12. That was because A) He never told me and B) he always partook very discreetly so as not to make a scene.

I don't see my father just leaving like I have because he has spent the past 4 decades in. However, I get the impression that he is no longer going to let his choice of religion get in the way of having a relationship with his kids.

• cantleave
    cantleave

2014 is coming to an end and I think many older, long serving witnesses are becoming disillusioned. This disillusionment may help them reprioritise what is really important in life.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I am cautiously optimistic for you. I hope he doesn't have any ulterior motives. But I think aging in this religion makes most people wonder and number of things, particularly why Armageddon is taking its sweet time in getting here.

A few years back I think my Dad finally realized that he had grown old and that he was going to die. He has alienated most of his family who aren't JWs. The other family who are JWs don't have much to do with him either.

The failed promises of this organization are its achilles heel.

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

That is very good news! All the best!

• Legacy
    Legacy

Hi,

Someone a while ago mentioned the same thing...that one of their parents got back in touch with them after many years of no communication. I also commented that we will see more of this .....as you say your Father most likely realizes that family comes first...& as you grow old, oh sure there are the friends in the hall, but they are too busy...they talk the talk & the comments are great regarding helping the older ones, but in reality, NOT.

The veil is coming off some of the friends eyes...the end isnt' here ...yet....many thought they would be in paradise by now...NOT...Many see TTATT, but don't want to be tossed out, so they are reaching out to ones who are no longer in the congregation, because who else can they voice their thoughts to.

Many of the friends know that the society flip flops, but they have decided to stay, for their own reasons....Me, I know all they teach is not in the bible, but I have made some nice friends/aquaintenances....I also keep my friends that are not in the truth..it gives me an even balance.

I am happy your father reached out to you....as I said..or, did I...LOL...at the end of the day, we have our families...they are our support group...the brothers/elders, would love to be there for all the friends, but some have their own agenda...they have families too...they are most likely burnt out...from their family & hall responsiblities. At the hall, they have to constantly put out little fires because the friends are high maintenance. Little complaints here & there...like little children...most witnesses are needed & just whinny kids in adult costumes...

Don't shun him...don't be what you hate...Love, conquers all..

Legacy

• MissFit
    MissFit

Follow his lead and foster a relationship based on love and family. Leave the religion out of it. Maybe you will get your dad back in your life.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

It's weird, because it seems the older my jw mom gets, the more spiteful she becomes. However, she has shunned me for 26 years and my brother for the past six of them, also because she didn't like being confronted with the child abue that she permitted to happen while we were growing up.

It sounds as if your dad is being genuine. It will be nice to have him back in your life just as a father, not a jw father.

• Tenacious
    Tenacious
    "My father was an elder for years until we moved and he was persecuted for professing to be of the annointed."

From the 2011 August 15 Watchtower section Question from Readers:

"Memorial partakers. This is the number of baptized individuals who partake of the emblems at the Memorial worldwide. Does this total represent the number of anointed ones on earth? Not necessarily. A number of factors—including past religious beliefs or even mental or emotional imbalance—might cause some to assume mistakenly that they have the heavenly calling. We thus have no way of knowing the exact number of anointed ones on earth; nor do we need to know. The Governing Body does not keep a list of all partakers, for it does not maintain a global network of anointed ones."

The GB after noticing the ever increasing number of anointed decided to put this statement out and then subsequently established that ONLY the GB from now on would be the "Faithful and Discreet Slave." The GB was not going to give up power or prominence to anyone regardless of Jehovah's decision. Also, the GB does in fact maintain a list of ALL members that claim to be anointed. The WT maintains an exhaustive and comprehensive list of every single member who has ever been baptized. This is something that most members do not know or could care less about. Most members would be surprised perhaps even shocked to see all of their congregational activities recorded and kept on file. Gotta love the transparency.

In other words, your Father remains a regular rank and file member although personally being invited by Jehovah God to rule with Jesus.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

t b k,

I'm 68 years old and it took 64 years before I finally 'broke the spell' of the wtbts. Of course I had doubts along the way but when ttatt really hits, drastic changes can occur. Like your dad, I would have shunned my 'inactive' children before ttatt finally set in for me.

Hope your dad is waking up!

just sayin!

eyeuse2badub

• FirstLastName
    FirstLastName

I am happy for you. Two weeks ago my mom called and asked me over for dinner. I was suspicious and asked if everything was okay. "Yes", she said, " I just miss you and want to see you."

Sometimes its simple as that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit