really? they are going 'out in service' today?

by sowhatnow 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

my mom tells me last night that she and 'the group' is going out tomorrow. [ god, she cant talk about anything else but her 'freinds']

OMG why???? leave people alone already!!

good greif shes only going out because the circus overseeitall is visiting shed never go out if he wanst there.

how many of you actually caved and went out on a holiday?

i never would do that.

• Justnowout
    Justnowout

Never. Not even as an elder. I flatly refused. It always seemed "wrong" to me, even as a true believer

• Divergent
    Divergent

Service. Service to who? To God or to men? This is the part which witnesses simply don't get...

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

We used to be told by the elders that there would be special arrangements for a few hours on the _____ holiday and we were to meet at the hall at 10am. The plan was always to visit those new to the cong who were spending their first holiday without the "worldly" trappings -- never to go door-to-door.

Apparently the "special arrangements" were for all the elders to stay home.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

My first year in, I was recruiting on Thanksgiving and saw 6 cars at a home we were calling on. They said, "Now is not a good time as we have family in." I realized that ringing bells when people were with family was a bad idea. I never did Thanksgiving, Christmas again. I never did Halloween, New Years Day at all ever. We have to have proper boundaries. I knew, even as a full-fledged follower.

• BU2B
    BU2B

My wife, who had the flu and a fever yesterday has just gone out to "meet the group" She feels she has to because she signed up for the 30 hour pioneer for the month. She had a look on her face so I knew not to say crap about it. Its just not balanced.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Like Justnowout, I refused to go out on holidays, or even on holiday weekends.

• blondie
    blondie

Don't do New Years Day either even in the afternoon...wake up a lot of partiers with hangovers.

Did many in your congregation(s) go out?

• BU2B
    BU2B

I feel that it is rude and inconsiderate to interupt people while they are visiting with out of town family, cooking, opening gifts etc. It is a intrusion. Bottom line. I felt uncomfortable with this even as a child, even though it was talked up as being a fine time to get people at home. Most people were visibly irritated, even more thaan usual. The last thing people want to hear is "have you ever wondered why god permits evil" Very poor taste.

• sparky1
    sparky1

Pre 1975 my whole family always went out in service on Thanksgiving. I remember going out in the early 70's doing the Kingdom News tract work on Thanksgiving. We were out most of the day and it was spitting snow to boot. Oh the memories that come flooding back.........................

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit