Hearing Kingdom Songs on Dateline.......sickened

by Mulan 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Dawn
    Dawn

Do you know what I noticed?? How "hum-drum" they sing - no feeling, no joyfulness. Just blah blah blah.

I really noticed the difference when I visited a Baptist church for the first time! In that church the singing was unreal - really strong and from the heart. Not at all like the "praises" you hear from the Kingdom Melodies.

• SYN
    SYN

Since I haven't yet SEEN dateline, I'll have to reserve comment, but I have a definite feeling that hearing those melodies will cause me more discomfort than that hot jalepeno I had the other day.

"Vaccination has never saved a human life. It does not prevent smallpox." The Golden Age, Feb 4 1931 p. 293-4 - The Sacredness of Human Blood (Reasons why vaccination is unscriptural)

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey Mulan,yeah I heard the songs.Never did like them,its painfull to listen to something that bad.When I was a kid I complained to my parents about how bad the KH songs were,I got shit for that big time.I didn`t want to push it,so I just kept quiet.I had been beaten for less...OUTLAW

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

My skin crawled listening to that music too! It's amazing how smells and sounds can bring up such strange and terrible memories and feelings. Hated it! "Be Forgiving"??? Yeah right, like that's what they ever do! Blech.

• waiting
    waiting

My husband just laughed and said they were still as crappy as he remembered them. But it put an authentic touch to the segment - as any jw will recognize those same jw (crappy) songs.

Oh, and the picture of the songbook (and bible?) was a snappy touch too.

I think about every 5th frame showed the front of a KH or Bethel building. Worldly people might not recognize the jw name - but probably will those words on the KH.

Good thinking on the producer's part.

waiting

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Oh yeah, I was scrambling for the remote to hit the mute button - being newly out I still get those crap songs playing in my head occasionally -

• Quotes
    Quotes

(Beans, this is for you!)

Brothers and Sisters, please stand and sing together Song 110: Be Forgiving based on Eph 4:32. And in particular, Brothers and Sisters, this is for Bro. Beans' sister, who should cultivate forgiveness for Bro. K Lloyd who "slipped" in a moment of spiritual weakness, and diddled her. But don't worry, he got what he deserved: he's not an elder anymore! And now, song 110.

Lovingly our God Jehovah
    For our sins provision made,
    Sent his Son to be our ransom,
    Thus extending needed aid.
    When we really are repentant,
    His forgiveness we can claim
    On the basis of Christ's ransom,
    Asking pardon in his name.

But God only grants forgiveness
    To those who like him woud be,
    Who, forgiving freely others,
    Show true love and empathy.
    O since we are so imperfect,
    We all frequently transgress
    By some thoughtless word of action.
    Hence we all need forgiveness.

Surely days of bitter sorrow
    Our forgiving can prevent;
    By it we show loving kindness
    That indeed is heaven sent.
    Our forgiving others freely
    From the heart proves us mature,
    Shows a depth of understanding
    And helps them peace to secure.

True forgiveness is a virtue
    That we all should cultivate.
    It will keep us from resentment,
    From the bitterness of hate.
    When we truly are forgiving,
    We resemble God Most High,
    Who takes pleasure in forginving,
    And his grace we magnify.

===========================
    For interesting Watchtower Society literature quotes, complete with references but without any editorial, check out: http://Quotes.JehovahsWitnesses.com
  • ashitaka
    ashitaka

HAHAHA....my whole fam was watching it (newly outed), and we were all creeped out by it. We all laughed at the pictures of death and destruction being showed on national television-it just shows that we are the wise ones, to have gotten away from people so vile.

But, the songs were definitly creepy to hear again. Made me want to throw something at the TV...all those calm, friendly voices which can turn so evil as soon as you're not one of them anymore.

ashi

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Hello Mulan,

Oh yes, an involuntary shudder shook me upon hearing those tunes. It just was so eery, felt like just yesterday (21yrs), the whole 'lets rise and sing song #'....the half hearted effort made by all...my efforts at 'taking the lead' huuummmmff singing loadly those cultic phrases.

It's amazing what mind control can do.

Danny

• Mulan
    Mulan

Hey Danny. Long time!!!

My husband was on the phone earlier, with our eldest son, and he said "were you as creeped out with the music, as I was?" I love that expression........'creeped out'.

Marilyn (aka Mulan)
    "No one can take advantage of you, without your permission." Ann Landers

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit