My JW Friend Has a Response to DATELINE

by Mister Biggs 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

As most of you know, I am an 'Undercover Brother' (someone who appears to be an exemplary JW but is making strides on escaping).

My wife is a loyal JW. Since we had the Book Study last night I needed to tape the show. (By the way, my wife knows about my doubts...). Anyway, as we were leaving for the BS, she asked me if I had the VCR set to the proper channel. Thank God because I had it set to tape the 'VH1 Soul' channel!!!

We got back home around 9:00 EST. I immediately rewound the tape and started watching DATELINE. To my surprise, my wife sat there and watched it with me. She saw the need for a change in policy as far as Elder's not encouraging the victim's to go to the police. She had tears in her eyes and she was sad to see that pedophiles can go door-to-door.
    I thanked my wife for watching the show with an open-mind.
    So, a small victory in my household.

And then...

My phone rings around 10:30.
    My JW friend calls me to ask me if I heard about the show.
    "DID YOU HEAR? dID YOU HEAR?"
    Me playing dumb..."Hear what?"
    Him: "The Dateline thing"
    Me: "Oh, yes. We saw it, actually"
    Him: "Yo! The end is coming. Prophecy is coming true! First they attacked Christendom, NOW they're attacking Jehovah's people!"
    Me: "Do you think?"

My friend kept going on and on...then he told me something that I found hilarious...

"When I was at my Book Study, the phone rang (at the Hall). I picked it up and someone started yelling at me, saying, 'I'm watching the show right now! You Jehovah's Witnesses harbor child molester's! You make me sick!' "

Me: "When you received that call did you know anything about Dateline or did you find out about it after the Book Study?"

Him:"After the Book Study"

Me: "So, what did you say to the person?"

Him: "I said, 'Have a nice day' and then hung up the phone"

This JW friend also said that at his sister's TMS they read a letter instructing them how to respond to this issue.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I hope you responded like a true friend: "ya know buddy, I love ya, but you have your head stuck so far up your ass that you look (almost) normal.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Yo! The end is coming. Prophecy is coming true

So it was prophesied that they would be busted for protecting pedophiles? And this is a sign that they are god's people?

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• Quincy
    Quincy

Biggs...Im glad your wife watched it...Hopefully it opened eyes of JW's....I guess we will see right? Q

• Almost There
    Almost There

Biggs,

I'm glad that your wife watched and was touched. He reaction may be an indication that a seed was planted.

After the show, I called my elder father. He said the show was prepared very well. And he believed every word of the program. He feels that the WTBS need to give the victim more assistance. And he thinks that a pedophile SHOULD NOT be allowed to go out in field service. But, like your friend, his spin was back to us living in the the last days, and that you have to expect these kind of things to happen. He also, thought that it was Jehovah who was helping to clean up the organization. He gave me the same ol bullsh*t about imperfect men running the organization.

I really feel that this program has helped to plant a little seed of doubt in many witnesses, or water to those who already had a few seed planted. I'm just hoping the WTBS bullsh*t responses will help fertilze the seeds.

• lisa king
    lisa king

A pedophile should be reported to the police whether a JW or not or from any religion, it is sick! It is alright the elders turning round saying just wait the organization will be cleaned up. In the process how many lives are being destroyed while the innocent families are waiting. Then in the end the victims become disulsioned and distrught.
    If a person cannot go on field service as a known smoker,what more of a pedophile who defiles others!
    It is just a matter of reputation for the governing body, who would want to join an organisation if they knew about this.
    That is why it is all covered up, and the innocent suffer like always.

• Hmmm
    Hmmm
    ...Jehovah who was helping to clean up the organization

Jehovah is helping clean up the organization, but his 'mouthpiece' mercilessly pounces on any who had anything to do with the expose.

Hmmm

• mrs rocky2
    mrs rocky2

Persecuted for righteousness sake. Hmmmm. "The Christian, however, must be certain that what he suffers is really for a righteous cause." Insight on the Scriptures, Volume 2 page 610. This paragraph also cites 1 Peter 2:11,12 about maintaining our "conduct find among the nations, that, in the thing in which they are speaking against you as evildoers, they may as a result of your fine works of which they are eye witnesses glorify God in the day for his inspection." Since when is child molesting righteous? Secular courts have had enough evidence to convict the accused. So these ones do not fit the scriptural definition of 'persecuted for righteousness sake.' What of the Watchtower Society itself? If their policy and procedure for handling pedophiles allows reproach to come on the Organization is this 'persecution for righteousness sake'? I don't think so. The bottom line is still what would be the loving thing to do? Is it loving to ignore innocent children? If handled properly, an accusation of child molestation need not become public knowledge until the point that there is proof and yet the child's welfare is protected, reputations are not soiled. But the proper authorities need to be allowed to investigate. Bill Bowen and Barbara Anderson should be applauded for trying to initiate a change in policy. Wouldn't it be a good idea for loving shepherds, which is what the elders are supposed to be, to receive training to handle these matters? Isn't that what Jehovah and Jesus would want? How many more will be stumbled because those placed in positions of authority within Jehovah's Witnesses have mistreated the flock. Who are really bringing reproach on God's name? Hmmmm......

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

Yo, Adrianne...I mean...mrs rocky2-

Excellent points you brought out.
    Thank you!

• Nikita
    Nikita

((((Biggs))))

That is so great your wife watched! I was wondering how that would all play out!

So, the thought came to my mind that some were being warned not to watch and some were being prepared on how to respond, but wouldn't you think that the WTS would advocate their people watching, if for nothing else than to see where the Dateline episode angle was coming from? To not act like they were "blindsided" when people call the hall or see them on the streets?

Nikita

"I think you ought to like what you do. Because there's a reasonably
    good chance no one else is going to."
    Rich Mullins

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit