Family Gathering ( or the day also known as Thanksgiving)

by Theredeemer 29 Replies latest jw friends

• awakenyr2004
    awakenyr2004

We had something like family day when we were kids. We would have a family gathering and all the parents would give their kids gifts. They were just trying to make up fo no Christmas. Can't fault them for that. :)

• rebel8
    rebel8

There used to be a large "gathering" every year on Thanksgiving with a traditional meal and football watching. There was nothing different about it, except if you went to your relatives' to do the same thing, you were weak.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Yup. We had turkey dinner with all the traditional trimmings on Thanksgiving every year because, "turkeys are on sale and everyone is off work."

My JW aunt started having a "toy party" every year when her kids were young (but old enough to feel the sting of being left out of Christmas). I believe she had it in summer. Not sure the kids were mollified, but I'm sure they were confused.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Exactly, BizzyBee, I came here to post the same thing, "but turkeys are on sale now!" Funny stuff.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

They are setting arbitrary lines in the sand. Eating Turkey and stuffing on Thanksgiving: evil. Eating Turkey and stuffing the day after: perfectly acceptable. The reality is there is no reason not to celebrate thanksgiving, except that the powers that be don't like it. Most people know this and want to have a big family meal just like everyone else, so they do.

It's sad they can't just decide to do what they want in the first place, but that what happens when you are in a cult.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

My father was an unbelieving mate when I was growing up and the wives of such were told to fix the holiday meal for their husbands, so I never missed out on the holiday meals, if it wasn't at my house we always went to my godbrothers house ( godbrothers before my mother got baptized)

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

There's a "don't ask...don't tell" syndrome that is common among JW's. So long as you don't say anthing outloud....draw any lines in the sand, you can get by doing pretty much whatever you want. You can have a dinner on Thanksgiving (most jw's do) and no one bats an eye but as soon as you're honest with them and call it what it is, the game's over. They want to be lied to....they want their ears tickled and they get pretty virtuous when you don't play along.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Have they ever explained in Print why they are against Thanksgiving ?

• blondie
    blondie

My jw family would celebrate on the Saturday after Thanksgiving so it wasn't considered celebrating the holiday. The non-jw family were smart enough to see the hypocrisy and wondered why they didn't do the same with Christmas and Easter, celebrate a few days later.

• rebel8
    rebel8

They are setting arbitrary lines in the sand. Eating Turkey and stuffing on Thanksgiving: evil. Eating Turkey and stuffing the day after: perfectly acceptable.

Exactly, and it sounds familiar. Isn't there a scripture about it being ok to eat food that had been sacrificed to false idols? I can't find it atm.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit