Family Gathering ( or the day also known as Thanksgiving)

by Theredeemer 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Theredeemer
    Theredeemer

Witnesses desire so much to be a part of the "world" sometimes that they incorporate many traditions and call it something else. Isnt that how christmas, halloween and other holidays started to begin with?

The Superbowl (not an official holiday but very close) is a day of gluttony, drunkeness and the enjoyment of a violent game. Witnesses everywhere have parties and even go to different Congs. just to attend. What is the difference? Just because Christmas or other days are rooted in a long forgotten pagan celebration?

If armaggedon arrived right smack in the middle of a JW super bowl party would they survive? After all, Jehovah HATES violence!

• Theredeemer
    Theredeemer

@ Ignoranceisbliss I can think of a better way to spend the Thanksgiving holiday Ignorance: PREACHING! If you dont like it you can take it up with god!-TOMO III

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

That's hilarious!! Such hypocrites.

• kairos
    kairos

I've experineced "JW Thanksgiving" on the Friday after. ( then it's OK )

Same everything, just 24 hours later, so it's not wrong...

We were on a family trip one time. About ten of us at a coastal rental house.

We brought everything to make a traditional turkey dinner.

It was the week of Thanksgiving and we were going to make the dinner on Thursday.

My Uber Dub ( Ex bethelite/elder ) nephew started to freak out, as if we were preparing to do devil worship.

We agreed to make it on Friday. Problem solved.

Dummies...

• Theredeemer
    Theredeemer

I remember being so pissed because I always had meeting on thursday so i never got to just chill after eating three days worth of food. Instead I had to put on a suit and spend an hour an 45 min holding in mashed potato farts!

It also always pissed me off that it felt like we were always the only ones to actually show up to the meeting!! Last year was my first time not worry about crap. I got to hibernate the rest of the night. My wife and I were just talking about how awesome it is to just veg out on sat and Sun mornings and not have to worry about Service or Meetings.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Ha, ha! An atheist is better to a JW! LOL.

Skeeter

p.s. We had the same Thanksgiving, but it was just family. Always a traditioal family meal. We also had New Year's dinner on New Year's Day, always hte southern one. It had to be pork ribs, greens (for money for the New Year), and black eyed peas (for luck for the New Year). And, my JW uber-sister still makes it and SERVES it with the reminder too eat our greens and black eyed peas for money & luck. Yep, she even did it last year. I thought I was going to fall out of the chair. LOL

• Theredeemer
    Theredeemer

Here in South Texas so many witnesses eat Menudo and tamales on New years eve,which is a mexican tradition. Their excuse: Its on sale and available.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

In the Deep South, every jdub we knew had a huuuuuuge turkey dinner with all the traditional foods the Friday after Thanksgiving....cause that meant you weren't REALLY celebrating, right?

And so many families conventiently had "family day" (same as christmas but without the tree) in December. Hmmm....

Separate from the World? I think NOT.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

My granddaughter tells the story of how her (Jw) father and stepmother would go out of town to a cabin rented by the step grandparents around Christmas. They didn't decorate a tree but there just happened to be one there. They brought lots of groceries to make a big meal and gifts for everyone. The event was called Gift Exchange.

Marina

• awakenyr2004
    awakenyr2004

Ha Ha! This so true! As long as you make it clear you are only doing it because everyone is off from school/work there is no problem with getting together to share food break bread (sometime you even have a turkey since they are on sale) on TG day. My family used to do it often and I knew many others that did as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit