How Do You Answer Someone Who Says JWs Are Not False Prophets?

by minimus 60 Replies latest jw friends

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

adcms - g86 6/8 p. 9 "Would That All Were Prophets!"

You will be interested to learn that God has on earth a people, all of whom are prophets, or witnesses for God. In fact, they are known throughout the world as Jehovah’s Witnesses.

So the word 'prophet' is a synonym of 'witness'???????

I think the Org made a big mistake handing back their U.N. "library ticket"!!!!!

Christians are witnesses for God? Not in my Bible!!

Matthew 10:18 - ".....for my sake, for a witness to them and the nations.

Mark 13:9 - "......before governors and kings for my sake, for a witness to them."

John 1:15 - "John bore witness about him..." [JESUS]

John 5:37 - "the Father who sent me has himself borne witness about me."

John 8:18 - "the Father who sent me bears witness about me."

John 15:26,27 - "..will bear witness about me; and YOU in turn, are to bear witness."

Acts 1:8 - "You will be witnesses of me...."

Acts 4:17,18 - ...upon the basis of this (Jesus') .... upon the basis of the name of Jesus.

Acts 10:39 - "And we are witnesses of all the things he [Jesus] did..."

Acts 10:43 - "To him [Jesus] all the prophets bear witness....."

Acts 13:31 - "who are now his (Jesus') witnesses to the people.

Acts 22:15 - "because you are to be a witness for him [Jesus] to all men......"

Acts 22:20 - "......the blood of Stephen your [Jesus'] witness was being spilled..."

Acts 23:11 - "..... a thorough witness on the things about me in Jerusalem..."

Acts 26:16 -"I [Jesus]..choose you as an attendant and a witness..respecting me"

1 Corinthians 1:6 - "even as the witness about the Christ..........."

1 Tim. 2:6 - "......what is to be witnessed to at its own particular times."

2 Timothy 1:8 - "............of the witness about our Lord.. [Christ]"

1 John 5:9 - "the witness God gives...the fact that he has borne witness concerning his Son."

Revelation 1:9 - "....for speaking about God and bearing witness to Jesus."

Revelation 3:8 - ...."and you kept my word and did not prove false to my name."

Revelation 12:17 - ".......and have the work of bearing witness to Jesus."

Revelation 17:6 - "........and with the blood of the witnesses of Jesus."

Revelation 19:10 -".....the work of witnessing to Jesus.... bearing witness to Jesus."

Revelation 20:4 - "............ for the witness they bore to Jesus."

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Fantastic respones all!

I have often had a "brain haze inducing" situation regarding this topic!

Wrong is wrong...no matter how they spin it!

The WT 89 reference that Punk quoted is one of my favourites!...They realised they were wrong, and instead of 'owning' the error, they have conveniently tried to just cover it over with 'changed history' in the bound volumes and online!

That is called being DECEITFUL!...right??

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Oh and trying to prove this to witnesses is like the old Witch hunt trial days...

IF you get a witness to hear you out and admit that the GB and ORG were flat out wrong on so many failed prohpecies (or whatever they want to call it), you will still be condemned for being "subversive or disbediant to the GB...gods appointed channel" etc

SO you cant win either way!

Even if they get the point being made, they will still hang you out to dry, or throw you under the bus for exposing such!

Then you will be labelled as a "blatent rebel"

Arrgh....It is enough to make a head explode!

• Simon
    Simon

If you ask any JW what prophecies the WTS has made / got right then they will invariable say something about predicting 1914.

Voila, some quotes from their own articles / books and not only can you show they didn't but that they have since lied about what they said and when (books in the 1920's were still quoting 1870 dates).

If that doesn't start people doubting I don't know what will.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

If you ask any JW what prophecies the WTS has made / got right then they will invariable say something about predicting 1914.

Plagiarized from the Adventists.

So, at best, WT can only claim they proclaimed a false prophecy already proclaimed (also failed) by another false religion.

And, as you said Simon, everything WT now attaches to the 1914 date was originally taught as occuring starting in 1874. 1914 was supposed to be Armageddon, not the beginning of the Last Days.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

That was me probably a year ago - though I was also the one asking the question. You don't even have to find old publications, even the latest "God's Kingdom Rules" book admits that in 1914 they believed that JC's presence began in 1874.

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

"Tell me how you prove who a true prophet it."

The ORG has always used the counterfeit bill analogy. It is not necessary to prove what a counterfeit bill looks like. You simply need to be able to identify a REAL bill. So, put it on them. Tell me how you prove that you are a true prophet.

• whathappened
    whathappened

Did not Anthony Morris III, current governing body member state in the US Branch/Zone meeting just this month, that if you have a problem with anything he says you should take it up with God???

Pompous Ass personified!!!

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

And that's a real piece of irony because THE ONE THING so many JWs think Watchtower got right is one of the biggest failed predictions of all.

Watchtower PREDICTED that armageddon would culminate in 1914. But guess what? Didn't happen. End of story. 1914 stands as one of Watchtower's all time biggest failed predictions.

Here: http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com/2011/05/taught-what-about-1914.html

• BU2B
    BU2B

I would answer that they are false prophets by their own definition!

Awake!, October 8, 1968, p. 23 " True, there have been those in times past who predicted an 'end of the world,' even announcing a specific date. Some have gathered groups of people with them and fled to the hills or withdrawn into their houses waiting for the end. Yet, nothing happened. The 'end' did not come. They were guilty of false prophesying. Why? What was missing? Missing was the full measure of evidence required in fulfillment of Bible prophecy. Missing from such people were God's truths and the evidence that he was guiding and using them. But what about today? Today we have the evidence required, all of it. And it is overwhelming!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit