Scientists Should Not Dismiss Genesis So Quickly

by Chris Tann 112 Replies latest watchtower bible

• never a jw
    never a jw

So a scientific statement that sounds rather remotely similar to a little verse in the Bible proves what?... got it. The entire Bible is accurate, comes from God and should be read literally.

• Chris Tann
    Chris Tann

Sorry for the lenghth. Dont know how to do everything on my Kindle. I was reading how the universe was very bright at first so the earth could not be in darkness as Genesis says. This discovery shows that planets are formed in their own dark cocoon so to speak. As the planet sucks in the dust and such around it, gradually light penetrates to it's surface.

This can be what Gen. says when reporting "let there be light." The sun and stars had already been created, the light from it was blocked and gradually came through. Cofty, just because Iam reading one book about evolution, doesn't mean I'm going to believe it right off the bat. Sometimes things seem 100% true. All evidence points to it being true, but as time goes on things are proved otherwise.

A true example: awhile back a notorious criminal was arguing with a policeman. The officer was shot and injured. The criminal did have a gun on him, he was known for this kind of activity, he even admitted that he shot the officer. Later it was brought out that the officer had an illegal pen gun in his shirt pocket and in the scuffle it went off. When asked why the criminal lied about shooting him he said that nobody would believe him over an officer, so he pled guilty to get a lighter sentence. Point is dont discount something totally. Always leave room for further discoveries. Doesn't mean you have to believe it, just put a pin in it.

• cofty
    cofty

groan...

• cofty
    cofty

Chris, every detail about Genesis is 100% myth.

Twisting little details to retro-fit reality is a fool's errand.

Humans were not a special distinct creation. There was no orignal perfection and no fall. This is the key point.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

... groan...

Yes, just so.

Never before in human history have so many had to the opportunity to be educated, to so little effect.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

So, even if modern science and the Genesis account have some things (though not all) that could be construed as consistent with one another, what does that prove? Where is your argument going with this?

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

... Where is your argument going with this?

Down the sewer.

• Giordano
    Giordano

I looked up the author on Amazon.......... apparently he studied with the JW's as a young man.

I also read the reviews. The Hubble images were the most praised aspect of the book. Half the reviewers were believers and half felt that the science wasn't there.

I would suggest that the title of this thread is misleading as science was not allowed to suggest other claims about the universe on penalty of torture and/or being burned alive. It is religion that has held back science for centuries. Science has not dismissed Genesis until the 19th and 20th century.............. nothing quick about that.

There is nothing particularly true to be found in Genesis......... There is however a lot of truth to be found in science. Therefor Christians should not be so quick to dismiss science.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Sometimes things seem 100% true. All evidence points to it being true, but as time goes on things are proved otherwise.

Yes. At first reading as a child, the genesis account seems to be 100% true. Quite "reasonable." All the evidence (that watchtower supplied me) also pointed to it being true.

Cofty, just because Iam reading one book about evolution, doesn't mean I'm going to believe it right off the bat.

Actually, there is no need to "believe" in evolution.

Well, I suppose on some level, you do need to "believe" that you actually exist and that you are in fact reading a book.

Other than that. . . .

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

It would have made sense if

1. We are the center of the universe (which we aren't)

2. We were not made out of chaos (waste)

Even if the events of Genesis show us the exact situation (which it doesn't)... It then is still an observation of the syntaxis of what happened but not the exact cause of it. Why would a God use some crap from the universe to start something new and unique? It is against the laws of fysics, morals etc. And if it took billions of years you might as well call it evolution right?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit