Scientists Should Not Dismiss Genesis So Quickly

by Chris Tann 112 Replies latest watchtower bible

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

I.e........maybe in the future facts wil change to fit my world view......

smart!

• PhilJonesIII
    PhilJonesIII

This type of discussion really wears me down.

It is said that if you magnify a single atom to the size of the universe then some of the particles making it up would only be the size of trees. They spent over 7 Billion Euros to come up with that kind of knowledge. Most people will never get close to the level of math needed to begin to understand the what and why they do what they do in places like CERN.

So god created the heavens and the Earth and then produced a book describing how he did it?

Maybe god intended 'An idiots guide to quantum mechanics' as a kind of addendum for people to read in their spare time.

Galileo said the bible was about how to get to heaven, not how the heavens worked. This is why I get irked at claims that the Bible is a book of science. It isn't. The creation account occupies about three pages. We wouldn't live long enough to read a blow-by-blow account had it been provided. Its a bullet-point introduction that more-or-less agrees with what we see.

I do have serious misgivings about things like the sun standing still in the account of Joshua. Such an action would have turned most of them into pizza against the nearest object that was bolted down.

I also have serious misgivings about most of the rest of it. God: The one that worked out how to take all that energy, compressing it in to any number of elements that are screaming to rip themselves apart and just hold them there in a stable state. God: The one that made all the rules governing the combination of elements into compounds. God: The one that pulled off that neat trick of then animating said compounds and get this: Some of them are sentient, self-aware!

That is one seriously impressive piece of work.

So to explain it all he gives us the Bible and it all rather falls apart. This to me becomes like one of those 'how-to' leaflets you get with flatpack furniture: Translated from Chinese to German and then English, its supposed to be a concise description of 'how to'. About as useful as a bicycle to a goldfish. I still like their furniture though.

If God really did pull off the creation then I refuse to insult such a being by even suggesting the Bible is his work.

Had God written a book there would be zero ambiguity. There would be no dispute. There would be no question about what it says, ever. From poorly educated workers in paddy-fields to the brightest minds that ever were......no disagreement.......and that ain't the Bible.

• prologos
    prologos

cofty, the difficulty with 'creationists' of different hues is, that they take the exsistence of anything as evidence of a maker, or a former, an originator. They have never seen evidence to the contrary. nothing ever made itself. and

The stabs in the dark, the uneducated guesses of the genesis writers are a straw-man argument, and should be dismissed quickly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit