What really woke me up: I started noticing most JWS are weirdos..

by kneehighmiah 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Considering that the original disciples were (generally) "unlettered and ordinary", I didn't give any thought to the fact that JWs often were uneducated or outright strange. As a born-in, I also had nothing to compare it with since I did not associate much with non-believers.

What did start to wake me up, though, on a similar note, was when I observed Witnesses passing dubious urban legends onto each other. It was a red flag for me that JWs were so credulous towards information that came from fellow believers. Their lack of skepticism got me to wondering what other things they were accepting uncritically.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

"When I was about 14-15 I realized that I was already smarter than most of the r/f in the congregation," .

Yeah, sure. ALL 14-15 years old idiots believe they are smarter than the rest of the world. Super-egos believing they are outsmarting all others.

You have to show up with CONSIDERABLE weightier arguments than that one.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

When in, I thought about this at times too.

However, as you know, for a JW there is a scriptural answer for everything, and my indoctrinated mind would always come back to the following Bible verses ... which shouldn't wake you up, rather it should reinforce that JW's being full of weirdos meant you had the TRUTH® and how fortunate you were that you could be a part of it even though you weren't a weirdo yourself. (because no doubt most of us would exclude themselves as being one of the weirdos )

(1 Corinthians 1:26-29) 26 For you see his calling of you, brothers, that there are not many wise in a fleshly way, not many powerful, not many of noble birth, 27 but God chose the foolish things [weirdos] of the world to put the wise men to shame; and God chose the weak things of the world to put the strong things to shame; 28 and God chose the insignificant things of the world and the things looked down on, the things that are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, 29 so that no one might boast in the sight of God.

• kairos
    kairos

I absolutely agree that a good number of weirdos exist in every hall.

I can remember so many.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

No doubt about it, once you distance yourself from 'the organisation' (clue) and then return to visit friends/family, you see just how bizarre they are in beliefs and actions. My last encounter, a meal with several my age left me embarrassed how ignorant to world events they were. Then there was the constant homophobia and racism. This all in 2hrs over a meal. I was so shocked by the encounter and happy to go home, ashamed that I had been like that not so long ago.

The levels of ignorance can not be ignored. It's astounding what a JW will cold faced claim in 2014.

Indeed this is not unique to JW's, but then we are here because that is what we have experienced.

If you are questioning our doubtless bias on this topic of weirdness, a 10 min chat with an average person will send home the message loud and clear. Normal people think JW's are bat shit crazy.

• stillin
    stillin

Or, in the words of the late Jim Morrison, "people are strange when you're a stranger."

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Bat sh** nuts is how I describe 85% of the JWs. 15% are so humble, that the 85% really take advantage of them.

My sibling wanted to set up a play date with me and her bestie JW friend. This JW friend was a math teacher, intellectual, and soooo nice. I declined. Anyway, ended up the JW friend was on alot of meds and needed alot of professional help. Addictions, pain killers, bipolar, and stole money . . .

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

Almost all Witnesses long for the Day of Jehovah when he will slaughter billions of human beings painfully.....including the elderly, handicapped, and newborns. Just that mindset alone makes them weirdos.....actually Nazis in my opinion. Their eager anticipation of mass slaughter makes Hitler look like a light-weight. Any sane JW would get out immediately rather than be associated with such monsters.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Yet, I still am drawn to the notion that, selectively, weirdess has a lot to commend it - espeically if it is coupled with damn good looks and the promise of an intense, although fleeting thrill. But enough self-disclosure.

Steve2, stop making me wish that I was gay...and male...

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

My wife and I have always joked about the bible verse which describes god's followers as a "people peculiarly his own."

Peculiar indeed!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit