What really woke me up: I started noticing most JWS are weirdos..

by kneehighmiah 41 Replies latest jw friends

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

From an elder who came to encourage me....and I quote....

"For half these people......the truth is their LAST GRASP on reality and sanity."

Well......he was half right.

• steve2
    steve2

The question for humankind irrespective of religious beliefs is not are you weird but how weird are you? I'm fine with my weirdness, provided YOU are weirder than me.

• Fernando
    Fernando

@kneehighmiah

I too believe that the young people today are smarter than we were and are not as easily duped by religion/ists.

Would this explain why PEW found that two-thirds of those raised as Watchtower followers, are no longer members of the apostate doomsday cult?

Greetings

Fernando

• aintenoughwiskey
    aintenoughwiskey

I would say the wacky legacy doctrines, and time suck demands of the cult act as a filter to the stable and sane. Not to mention the 100% prophecy failure rate.

• tiki
    tiki

when i was involved it used to scare me to think of some of the morons that were going h-h - i am talking about genuinely developmentally disabled people with serious mental and emotional disturbances. what kind of drawing power would they have to a normal rational person seriously interested in the Bible.....but at that point i actually believed the religion had something meaningful to offer.

and then i remember one of those disabled/disturbed ones - when we were well into our fade she'd call and leave these long unintelligibly garbled tales of her daily field service experiences - the best of which were when someone actually took a magazine and said they'd read it - no doubt just to get her off their doorstep. she was calling to "encourage" us. hah.....i ended up just seeing the message and deleting. but, it is rather sad actually.....the poor thing actually believed she was doing a valuable thing........

so - yes there are plenty of weirdos in the org......and outside of it too. and there are some people that were pretty normal in the org as well.....deluded, but basically normal people wishing for a better life/world.......and now that have their non-spandex clad leader who from what i gather is about as weird as anyone should be allowed to get......but weird in a unique way. histrionic personality - grandiose delusional......etc etc.........

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

ok then doesnt that make all of us x jws weirdoes? and we were [or are for those still in] jws.

guess what, were all weird. lol

so then why did we not accept each other the way we can now? free to be open!

• tiki
    tiki

weird comes in varying degrees......

and - what is "weird" to one person may be completely "normal" to the next!

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

yea, isnt that weird?

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

For one of my husband's parents, it was a desperate attempt to "get away" from some pretty awful abuse. The entire family on that side was disfuctional , and yes, a pedophile abuser in the family was abusing the children. the mother of the family didn't speak to the father of the family for over 30 years ( or more) . They never divorced, but she was obivous about not speaking to him, telling other people in the room to tell him something if she needed to communicate with him. I think he abused the chldren, as well as one of the sons abused the children. All the kids in the large family left before they were 18. Most are still dysfuctional, a couple are mildly so. They all began attending the KH when the mother began to take them. Some kids were a little older, but most, or all, were baptised. They were trying to escape reality, and I guess the JW mindset is all about creating thier own escape from a bad life in their mind.

In my experience with meeting the people in the KH that my husbands family knows, and the family members, they are for the most part rather dysfuntional. Moreso than other people I know, since all people have some dysfuntion of some kind or another. Some are downright strange. I also believe this organization attracts those dysfunctional people in a disproportionate way. ( except those born ins who have no choice) The "it will all be oer very soon with paradise around the corner" and the "bad" people will be punished is appealing to those who are damaged by others or are ill, or have a desperate need for concrete answers to life, and need to be told how to live. ( nevermind they are madeup ones!)

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Does being a JW make you a weirdo - or, does the JW religion attract those beyond 3 standard deviation of normal? I think it is the latter.

There are many that are a bit weird, but I agree that there is a concentration in the JW religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit