Will Elders Still Perform Marriages If The Sister Doesn't Marry At Least A Ministerial Servant?

by minimus 14 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Based upon the last big meeting this past weekend, would it be proper for an elder to perform a wedding ceremony if the brother is not at least a Mini Servant?

• rabidewok
    rabidewok

I think yes as long as they are in good standing. Its still better to marry than to fornicate. lol

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I'm sure there will be a number of 'holier than thou' elders that will refuse to perform marriages on these grounds. That only seems logical than one of the 7 gods that you worship has already condemned the marriage as a mistake that they'll pay for.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Tight Pants Tony said "23 and not a ministerial servant." Plenty of marriages will take place where the guy is under 23- the technical loophole where an elder can do it with a clean conscience. JW men with all those women between 16 and 46 throwing themselves at you are not typically going to wait until 23 to lose their official virgin status.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I agree with OTWO -- plenty of marriages before the guy hits 23 -- in fact, MOST JW weddings are already with couples under 23 years of age. After that, if the Bro is not an MS they probably won't be allowed to use the Kingdom Hall.

Look for lots of Destination Weddings on the horizon.

Doc

• minimus
    minimus

Working in the spirit of the GB's counsel, I would think it would be poor judgment for an elder to marry a couple if they do not have the necessary spiritual qualities. Even being a Pioneer is not good enough for a 23 year old male....wow, talk about pressure!

• SAHS
    SAHS

If a couple in good standing is actually denied marriage just because the brother is not a ministerial servant, then the couple should definitely go to a Catholic church and get married there as a big F-you to the WTS! They would have every right to do so, and if they end up getting disfellowshipped as a result of it, then they should have an article about their experience printed in the local newspaper. That would only be fair. How dare the corrupt WTS try to enforce their kooky little rules on people even more than before!

• minimus
    minimus

so many rules....

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

it could be that this 'faith testing' announcement may have been directed to females not marrying any brother over 23 who is not yet a ministerial servant.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Why don't they just start the practice of arranged marriage and be done with it.

They have enough OT precedent for this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit