Lowering the standards: The sign of a cult struggling for survival

by Hidden-Window 49 Replies latest jw friends

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Aren't there studies which show that, counerintuitively, the more harsh & strict a religion is, the more its adherents tend to be fiercely loyal?

I can't point to one in particular, but I believe you're right. This is sort of the core of cognitive dissonance - the more people invest in a belief, the more resistant they are to changing that belief. The continued lowering of the requirements will result in the R/F investing less and less time/money/energy in their belief that the WT is the only true religion, and they will therefore be primed for awakening.

The other problem for the WT will be that any one with 2 brain cells to rub together that actually has fully bought into it will have no choice but to start questioning why everything is slowing down if we're so close to the end. At a certain point the questions override one's joy at having to do less and, again, they'll be primed for awakening.

Punky - thanks for the antimatter quotes, that really made my day. That's the sort of stuff that I enjoyed when I was a child, but now I look at it and realize that it was all based on some cursory sci-fi understanding of the way the world works. If Jehovah used enough antimatter to clean up even one skeleton, the radiation released would be sufficient to annihilate all life on earth many times over. It would essentially be the power of every atomic bomb on earth going off at once. But, by golly it sounds good, and it sounds smart, and it sounds like we researched, so let's put it in!

• game1914over
    game1914over

Great post!

It will only get worse as time goes by. Right now, everything is falling like a house of cards. The hardcore members are trying not to imagine that this is an epic fail. Some would have a mental breakdown and cannot face the fact that they've squandered their lives and other people's lives away for NOTHING!

Underneath all the smiles and pretending "spirituality", they really feel like

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

when they do away with disfellowshipping, THEN we will know they are on a sinking ship

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I believe the standards to become an MS or Elder will be lowered significantly since they are in dire need and these circumstances will only get worse.

To qualify to serve as a MS, is there something lower than

1) worshipping the GB, and

2) having the ability to "fog a mirror"?

Doc

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

To qualify to serve as a MS, is there something lower than

1) worshipping the GB, and

2) having the ability to "fog a mirror"?

Doc

Doc - you forget that there are lots of unwritten rules to qualify as an MS - reported service time must be above 8 or 10 hours a month on average. Meeting attendence must be high, and I've been told that I need to comment regularly at meetings in order to qualify as well. I'm sure there are more/different rules depending on the BOE in a particular congregation, too.

It's pretty funny, they once sat me down and read the scripture about what's required to qualify (1 Tim. 3:8,9,12) and they asked me what of those qualifications do I not satisfy. I honestly said "none" and they asked me why I wasn't an MS. I said "I don't know" (at the time I was still mentally in and this seemed like a better response than "It seems like too much trouble"). They then told me that I didn't comment at meetings enough and I didn't get enough time in service. I left the conversation wondering if we'd read the same scripture...

• SonoftheTrinity
    SonoftheTrinity

The lost lawsuits, the dwindling leadership....read the history of the Worldwide Church of God and Herbert Armstrong. I have every reason to believe that the JWs will go through a similar meltdown.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I still maintain an offer to help the Governing Body, the lawyers, the accountants pack their bags and take them to the airport where they can visit some islands with no extradition where they already transfered their money. Sure, I hate that they would "get away" but it would really speed up the healing for the 7 million or so that are held captive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qrhS80kUZo

Sung to the tune of:

Steve Miller Band – Take The Money And Run

This is a story about the Governing Body and the Loot.
    A bunch of fanatics who love to give the boot.
    They sit around the tower, feel high, and make the rules
    And here's what happens when they decide to run like fools
    They headed down to, ooh, St. Kitts
    Thats where they decided to give us the splits
    They did not want to go behind bars into the rock pits.
    The Governing Body took the money and run

Go on take the money and run

The J-Dub members may not want to relax this
    They want to know exactly what the facts is
    They don't wanna let those guys escape justice
    They gave up their livin' and now they are just pissed.

Tony Morris, whoa, whoa, he slipped away
    Gerrit Lösch caught up to him the very next day

They got the money, hey
    You know they got away
    They headed down south and they're still running today
    Singin' go on take the money and run

• westiebilly11
    westiebilly11

older publications seem written by men who genuinely used their intelligence to explain and reason with readers..but recent publications and articles seem written to indoctrinate by bypassing rational thinking.....I recognise little of the society I knew when i first came/went in some 30 years ago.....they seem to have nothing to say about anything worthwhile..

ps interesting comments 'I'm stuck in' above........

• SAHS
    SAHS

“Hidden-Window”: “Sometimes I think that they are trying to leave as little room as possible for intellectuals, since the more you think, the closer you get to figure out nonsense.”

“punkofnice”: “It's good for us that the GB are now seeking celebrity status and coming to the fore because 'the higher the monkey climbs is the more he exposes'.”

Here, here! I’m glad that the GB members are showing their faces around in person and on the Internet, because it gives the world all the more opportunity to see just what clowns and charlatans they really are. Their message now seems to be, “Don’t worry so much about being able to explain our basic theological doctrines, and don’t even worry so much about the preaching and teaching work – just as long as your socks and pants are properly in order.” What a dickhead you are, Anthony Morris III. If that is the best you’ve got, you should change to another profession. May I suggest circus clown.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

@OMWO, great song! I totally agree, I'd rather see them flee sooner than later even with all the cash.

@Steve2: "Fluff has seldom got such an earnest work-over." Dead on.

@im stuck in - controlling the masses through religion, schooling, and fear is a truth, not a conspiracy theory. Keep your chin up!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit