Lowering the standards: The sign of a cult struggling for survival

by Hidden-Window 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Hidden-Window
    Hidden-Window

Many of the recent changes in the Jehovah's Witness organization are a clear sign of a cult that is struggling for survival. The Internet has changed the scenario in a very dramatic way.

Many of us who for years struggled alone with doubts and cognitive dissonance thinking that we were the only ones, that we, as individuals were the issue, now know that there is a large community of individuals who see the organization as what it is, a mind controlling cult that is not only false, but also dangerous.

The Governing Body clearly understands the consequences of this awakening. This is why they are lowering the standards of what is required.

The elimination of the Book Study as a separate meeting, the creation of the laughable 30-hour auxiliary pioneer service, the 15-minute of service reporting, among other loving concessions, show that they are looking for ways to adapt to the new times.

I argue that this strategy will backfire against the Watch Tower. As we all know, lowering the standards also means that members will now find the way to have more time for themselves, away from the religion.

This will help to the erosion of mind control and increase the number of dissidents. This is the age of information. The spreading of the truth about the failures of he Watch Tower is unstopable. What do you think?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Amen!

One thing as a JW back in the day I did not have much of was free time. Today's JW's can show up at the dumbed-down meetings without preparing, can make a token appearance for recruiting time, don't need to waste time trying to understand any of the message.

While they have lowered the standards within the brain and heart and efforts, the Governing Body just can't help but be their own worst enemy and keep raising the standards as far as dress, grooming, obedience, staying away from independent thought goes.

Can you even imagine from all the things to choose from, taking "overlapping generation" as your way to motivate members?

Can you imagine getting over a million Witnesses to your Zone Meeting and just beating them up over stupid things like sock colors and tight pants? .....and generally forgetting to say positive things about how they are doing?

Did you ever foresee magazines so thin?

• mauiboy
    mauiboy

There will always be some die-hards who are so deep in, have sooooo many years invested, and know they have nothing else to turn to or go to, that will remain. But yes in-deedy, I hope you are correct and the vast majority come to realize TTATT. Here's hoping that each of us with family, friends and loved ones stiil 'in' see them 'out' sooner rather than later.

• Hidden-Window
    Hidden-Window

While they have lowered the standards within the brain and heart and efforts, the Governing Body just can't help but be their own worst enemy and keep raising the standards as far as dress, grooming, obedience, staying away from independent thought goes.

Can you even imagine from all the things to choose from, taking "overlapping generation" as your way to motivate members?

Can you imagine getting over a million Witnesses to your Zone Meeting and just beating them up over stupid things like sock colors and tight pants? .....and generally forgetting to say positive things about how they are doing?

Totally agree. They are also dumbing down the message.

• Zordino
    Zordino

Yes the cool aid has really been watered down. It'll hurt them but they'll survive. There are too many brainwashed dubs who will never leave.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

the laughable 30-hour auxiliary pioneer service, the 15-minute of service reporting,

I don't think these two things have anything to do with the other points, where I fully see your point. The 15 minutes thing has to do with aged and sick people and is not a lowering of standards, just a way of making them feel part of it all. The 30 hours thing is limited to three months a year and also falls within the same group as the 15 minutes thing.

Where the lowering applies, is to the magazines and brochures. Illustrations, fewer pages, broader margins, ball points, very simplified points. And it applies to the disappearance of the nicest meeting of them all, the book study.

• steve2
    steve2

Astute observations hidden-window.

Reduced requirements for pioneering, publishing, meeting frequencies and duration, reading/studying the "literature" and increased requirements for dress code reveal an organization losing its relevance but going down with a yapping fight. Fluff has seldom got such an earnest work-over.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Welcome Hidden-Window ! and I agree with what you say, I think too that these moves make it plainer to the R&F JW's that the GB are making it up as they go along, this cannot be from God, who "does not change", JW's must think deep down " so why should we actually take any notice of these men now ? "

Institutions like the Catholic Church have garnered more respect and continued support from members by making only small changes and concessions in a slow, measured way.

• designs
    designs

Nice

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

The Governing Body clearly understands the consequences of this awakening. This is why they are lowering the standards of what is required.

Do they though? All the Tony tight pants stuff and Heard with his misogynistic puke seems to suggest they still think they're gods gift.

I do however wonder if there is a panel that does all the background running of things...lawyers? I don't know.....like the world leaders seem to have advisors that subtly run things behind the scenes....Gordon Brown and G W Bush should never have been wheeled out to the public......Oh, and Kim Jong Un...he's a bloody legend in lunacy a bit like the GB.

There...defeated my own argument.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit