new neighbors

by Theredeemer 24 Replies latest jw friends

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

We had three Mormon families move onto our street where we used to live, they had just built a huge stake nearby. They were nice, but mostly kept to themselves, no recruiting. I had suspected they were Mormon, when my neighbor said "Its just as I suspected, they are Mormons". I said "It's not like it's against the law", she said "It should be!", lol. She had spent a miserable year in Utah once and had no love for them, they would look at her sideways for bringing a thermos of coffee to work.

It creeped me out a bit having them there, too much of a reminder of my JW days. It's strange that they believed such different things, but the culture was exactly the same. A cult is a cult. Well, at least they came to our annual Christmas Party.

• apostrate
    apostrate

This is a long story really, but I'm going to keep it short. I had a similar experience just a short time after learning TTATT.

My neighbor, who was a member of the Church of Christ, asked me one day if i would mind meeting her really good friends, who were husband and wife. I agreed, even though, like you, I suspected it was a recruitment meeting. So, I got all prepared regarding what I would say to them. BE CAREFUL!

When they came over to my apartment and started talking, they didn't let up! I couldn't get a word in edgewise! My brain simply shut down, just like it did for the 30 plus years when I went to the KH! They were an older couple and I didn't want to be rude, and I ended up just agreeing to whatever they said, just like I did as a JW. Then at the end of their 30 minute infomercial they handed me some literature and told me to study it for when they come back next week. Like I said, I just agreed just to get them to shut up and get them on their way!

After they left I felt terrible! I was ashamed of myself! I threw their literature in the trash. I couldn't believe that I literally went into a JW trance when they started droning on and on about their religion. I never invited them back and they never bothered me again and it soured my relation with my neighbor.

But, as I said, I was a new ex-JW at the time. I've learned a lot since then, and I'm ready to tangle with any cult member who wants to try me!!

• Theredeemer
    Theredeemer

So we went to the dinner last night. It was me, my wife, the couple and the "sisters" from the LDS church. We were hoping we would get away with no one mentioning religion. My hopes were quickly dashed when he told us that after the dinner he wanted us to watch a short video about their faith. My wife and I played it cool and we enjoyed the food they served; it was pork chops with broccoli.

So then came the video. It was called Treasures from Heaven: the John Tanner story. The jist of the video was: if you give all your money for the church, sacrifice everything for it and blindly follow you will be rich. Typical religious BS.

The funny detail was how this guy John had a infection in his leg, but by the power of God his leg was healed. Afterwards, John sell everything he owns and gives it to the church. Yet, this same god couldnt save his daughter from succumbing to an infection and dying when he was poor and traveling thousands of miles for Prophet Smith. Of course, they quickly mention the part about his daughter dying.
    The video really made no sense. Again, typical religious BS.

Anyway, after the video they asked about what faith we have. We mentioned how we used to be JWs and told them why we left; shunning, blood issue, weird rules and restrictions, armaggedon and so on.

The couple was shocked at everything, but the "sisters" had a very uncomfortable look specially when we talked about shunning. The couple mentioned how that was wrong and any religion that does that is not the truth. They are fairly new in the faith so I dont think they know that Mormons do shun.

Then I mentioned I am an atheist which was a probably a shock due to the fact that I was quoting scripture after scripture. I mentioned that although I am an atheist I do believe that peace among humanity is vital to keep our species going and what is important was to be a "good" person and if a particular faith gets you there well then good for you. Very trite but I was trying to be as non confrontational as possible. The couple agreed and they were excited to be our neighbors.

Our neighbors are older couple (60s) and I mentioned how if they ever needed moving things or yard work I would be glad to help them out. The missionaries were very sweet and tactful but I could tell that they were uncomfortable with the similarities between our former faith and theirs. At first they were preachy but once they knew me and my wife knew alot about their faith and the bible in general then they backed off completely. One of the girls opened up more, specially once I mentioned I play music. She mentioned how they only do the missionary work while they are in school and she cant wait till she is finished. HAHA. They offered to help us paint and do whatever minor work we are doing in our new house.

All in all, it was a good dinner.

BTW, the guys baseball card collection is out of this world!! He has every Mickey Mantle card ever made!! Babe Ruth, Yogi you name it! His collection is for sure in the millions!!

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

At first they were preachy but once they knew me and my wife knew alot about their faith and the bible in general then they backed off completely.

Its funny the way things always work out like that. Sounds like you handled it well.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

The couple was shocked at everything, but the "sisters" had a very uncomfortable look specially when we talked about shunning. The couple mentioned how that was wrong and any religion that does that is not the truth. They are fairly new in the faith so I dont think they know that Mormons do shun.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit