new neighbors

by Theredeemer 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Island Man
    Island Man

"@ searcher yeah I wondered how they would react if I go on detail about the cultishness of the JWs and maybe they would see the similarities."

Yeah! That's a wonderful idea. You can share with them your negative experiences and thoughts about JW culture that prompted you to leave. You can choose aspects of JW culture that mirror Mormon culture that way you'll actually be helping your Mormon neighbor to wake up to TTALDS without having to directly attack her religion.

• givemejustalittlemoretime
    givemejustalittlemoretime

ENjoy a free meal.

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Use the opportunity to get into a huge religious debate, hardly dinner conversation. After all, they invited you over under false pretenses and then brought up religion at the dinner table. Get on about how the bible is a sham, and the Mormon faith is truly for morons.

Get all schooled up on Mormons, real facts. Watch them squirm as you shed light on their silly beliefs and pick them apart piece by piece.

OR you could take your wife out to a nice dinner and movie instead. I'd love to go in your place, just to have the opportunity you have.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

We have had business friendships for a long time with some very nice people who are members of a big baptist church. When we told them we were no longer jw they began urging us to try going to their church. They don't get offended when I say, "I appreciate the invitations but you have no idea how sick I am of having the bible shoved down my throat for 30 years - I just dont even want to think about it!"

Marina

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

IslandMan, great idea. There are so many similarities (odd if you really believe "god" has only ONE org, no?) so it would be pretty easy to open their eyes to TTALDS. love that!

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

May be this is a bit off topic, but I thought the JWs had some pretty far out and fanciful ideas. But man!! They are nothing concerning all the BS and scandal that surrounds the mormon church. You will also find that the mormon church is currently having the same problem as the JW regarding members walking out due to information on the Internet.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Just another off topic point. Its amazing how two religions can be so theologically different and yet structurally and organizationally Exactly the same.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi Theredeemer, I have known Mormons, who are very nice. If they want to talk about religion, tell them how you feel and why.

The best way a Morman can learn that they are in a dangerous cult is for an ex-JW to explain that the WTBTS is a dangerous cult and what are the characteristics of dangerous cults. Let the Mormans draw their own conclusions.

Peace be wtih you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• talesin
    talesin

Hi. From my life experience, I would say "recruitment dinner". They identified as Mormons on first contact. Now, they learned you are a 'fallen' JW - this is when the new fundamentalist friend will jump to SAVE you! I've had it happen more than once.

Since these people are your physical neighbours, I will quote my father "good fences make good neighours". The invitation has been accepted. By all means, attend and enjoy. As another poster said, they are like the JWs, and most likely very pleasant folk. Let them pitch their religious talk, but like most non-religious people, don't take the bait.

Be casual in your non-belief, as if it is normal. IT IS! :D Leave with a smile, after you have, by your lack of interest in reilgious discussion, dispelled any fantasies they have about converting or saving you.

If you feel you must reciprocate the dinner invitation as a neighbourly gesture, do so. Once. Then, remain as that 'friendly family next door' who never really has the time to socialize. Once they realize you are not interested in Religion and God, they will most likely stay to themselves anyhow.

Luck!

tal

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

ask them about Smiths teenage brides....all "the witnesses" who claimed to have seen the book the book of mormon came from later went apostate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit