Muslim refuses to stand for the National Anthem

by designs 24 Replies latest social current

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf is perhaps best known for the controversy created when he refused to stand for "The Star-Spangled Banner" before games, [6] stating that the flag was a symbol of oppression and that the United States had a long history of tyranny. He said that standing to the national anthem would therefore conflict with his Islamic beliefs. On March 12, 1996, the NBA suspended Abdul-Rauf for his refusal to stand, but the suspension lasted only one game. Two days later, the league was able to work out a compromise with him, whereby he would stand during the playing of the national anthem but could close his eyes and look downward. He usually silently recited a Muslim prayer during this time.

In an apparent publicity stunt linked to this controversy, four employees of Denver's KBPI radio station were charged with misdemeanor offenses related to entering a Colorado mosque and playing "The Star-Spangled Banner" on a bugle and trumpet, in a provocative response to Abdul-Rauf's refusal to stand for the national anthem. [7]

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

When basketball players stand they make it look like everyone else is sitting down. Perhaps they should all not be allowed to stand for the National Anthem.

Many years ago I was at Wembley stadium indoor arena to see an ice-skating show. Jehovah's Witnesses had block booked a whole section. When the National Anthem was played, no-one stood. A gasp went around the arena and the skaters looked up. Apparently they assumed we were communists.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Interesting that this sportsman just used religion to promote his own selfish agenda and it was a publicity stunt. Some people can be so fickle. I bet he has never really been a practicing Muslim. Kate xx

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

This is protected speech. No other nation is so flag worshipping as the United States. The pledge of allegiance is a recent practice. Patriots such as George Washington, John Adams, and Alexander Hamilton never pledged allegiance to the flag. Maybe he was signaling his aesthetic views concerning our national anthem. My mother was expelled from high school for not saluting the flag. She had no choice if she wanted to live. I was able to pledge allegiance in the lower grades b/c there were no other Witnesses in the school. It felt nice. My parents never knew. This changed when dangerous neighborhoods were carved into my school district b/c of a lawsuit. Witnesses were in my home room. The details escaped me.

I prob. still saluted the flag. Sometime during the Civil War Rights movement and the peace movement, I decided I did not support my government's action in these areas. The principal gave me no lecture. He was understanding. Half of the African-American students and white radicals refused to salute the flag. There were more students not saluting the flag than saluting it. I am curious what the current practice is.

This player prob. does not care about commercial endorsements. Muhammad Ali comes to mind. I recall the venom and anger directed at him yet he became widely respected and not only for boxing. He stood by his principles.

• designs
    designs

Remember Tommie Smith and John Carlos at the 1968 Olympic Games in Mexico.

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

This is protected speech. No other nation is so flag worshipping as the United States. The pledge of allegiance is a recent practice.

Band.....thank you for you opinion of the U.S. pledge of allegiance, but this thread is about a prima donna athlete's ego being bruised and him using his Muslim faith as an excuse for sitting out the NATIONAL ANTHEM.

• designs
    designs

AM- interesting that his 'Religious Stand' lasted for only one game....

I attended our town's Planning Commission meeting recently and it opened with the Pledge of Allegiance.

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

I attended our town's Planning Commission meeting recently and it opened with the Pledge of Allegiance.

I think some people think they have to do something like the Pledge of Allegiance or National Anthem to make the proceeding more "official". LOL

I was dragged into the cult at a young age after I was use to saying the Pledge of Allegiance and singing the Nation Anthem. When I was on the school basketball team it was very nerve wreaking to stand with the team for the Nation Anthem, and then hem-haw around to make it look like you really were not comfortable doing it to the JW kids sitting in the stands.

I always stand for the National Anthem now, and would love an opportunity to say the Pledge of Allegiance free of Watchtower mind-control.

• humbled
    humbled

Why whip-saw he guy? Let him revel in the fact that no one will cut his head off for not standing for the pledge?

When you talk to your Muslim friends ask them if they do not appreciate the fact that they can kick an dscream in the U.S. about freedom of religion and you are pitched into a town square and stoned or such.

Either we are for freedom or we are not --just don't kill anybody-eh?

• humbled
    humbled

...sorry. i meant NOT pitched into the town square and stoned...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit