Muslim refuses to stand for the National Anthem

by designs 24 Replies latest social current

• designs
    designs

Cleveland Cavaliers Basketball player Dion Waiters stayed in the locker-room during the National Anthem at a recent game. Asked why he responded 'I am rededicating myself to my Muslim Faith'. Another basketball player recently refused to stand for the Anthem while on the court and was fined by the NBA, Dion chose to remain in the locker-room.

Have you heard of followers of Islam refusing to stand for the National Anthem or to say the Pledge of Allegiance on religious grounds.

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

Good.. fainalyl we can sperate Entertainment religion and politics.. Somene has sense... no wait he's a muslim...sad

• Simon
    Simon

I don't see anything wrong with this if other sports players are allowed to make religious poses during the game.

But lots of sports players are just after personal publicity as well.

It's hardly worth worrying about. It's not like basketball is even a real sport (boom).LOL

• prologos
    prologos

During the soccer World Championship many of the New Immigrant players did not sing along with the natives. No effort to integrate, participate in the gorgeous music, even for art's sake.

• Simon
    Simon

Flags and national anthems are artificial symbols of nationalism.

Not everyone treats them with the same reverence especially when compared to the US.

I think the level of respect depends on the occasion too.

Before a non national sports game? What the hell is it being played for in the first place?

For a national event - you are representing your country, if you don't respect it then refuse the selection.

If it's at remembrance day? Stand up and show some respect, its not the time for petty protests.

• designs
    designs

I had just not heard of a Muslim making a religious issue of this. I would imagine at any given sports event there are dozens to hundreds of Muslims in attendance.

Sitting during the National Athem at sporting events was always a little dicey as a JW. We never knew how the crowd would react. Usually some cuss words and dirty stares, at a closed circuit showing of the Indy 500 we (a group of 12) almost got into a fist fight the crowd got so angry.

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

I think this may be more about the ego of a prima donna athlete more than an actual religious conscience issue. Waiters staying in the locker room during the National Anthem coincided with his being taken out of the starting lineup. (he also missed the starting lineup introductions- a non-religious ceremony) The next game Waiters joined the team for the Anthem. Prior to his refusal to be present during the Anthem "for Muslim religious reasons" he evidently had no problem being present for he Anthem. Other Muslim players have no problem being present for the Anthem.

• designs
    designs

Ah! Thanks.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

I forget his name but there was a player for the Denver Nuggets several years ago (pre 9/11 I believe) that basically did something similar. I'll have to research it.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

i have heard of J.Ws refusing to stand for the national anthem or pledge of alligence.

And agree or not isn't such freedom of speech what the great war was all about?

I am ashamed i never used to wear a poppy....but i wear a poppy now, and do not judge those that dont.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit