Muslim refuses to stand for the National Anthem

by designs 24 Replies latest social current

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

The NBA will eventually find some way of accommodating "religious conscientious objectors".

Why?

Because a) the world is an increasingly multicultural place, and b) the opposite - i.e. shoving rabid nationalism down someone's throat - is just dickish behavior, and will ultimately affect the bottom line in a negative manner (same reason Walmart told the Religious Right to go f**k themselves when they tried to strongarm the chain into allowing evangelical employees to impose their beliefs on customers).

x

That being said, the guy didn't have to make a press issue out of it.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I have participated in two national anthems where the majority of the population 90-99% were Muslim and there was no lack of participation observed. No one was getting a scolding, so I am not sure where that comes from. I never heard of it and I have done some pretty serious Muslim things,like go to Mecca. No one ever gave a talk on the evils of national anthems. Arab countries all have them. I don't know of any Muslim countries that don't.

Maybe he was in the locker room so that he could pray at the right time? I have never heard of that particular 'religious stand" in Islam or among Muslims or Muslim nations.

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

i.e. shoving rabid nationalism down someone's throat - is just dickish behavior, and will ultimately affect the bottom line in a negative manner.

How is playing the USA National Anthem before NBA games dickish behavior that shoves nationalism down someone's throat? The National Anthem is nothing but a song of national pride written by Francis Scott Key, and is a long tradion of USA professional sporting events. Usually all that is ask of a player is to stand or whatever, and to be respectful. Canada does the same thing. In fact both countries play each others National Anthem as a show of respect. Other country professional leagues do the same thing. The Olympics does it for all countries.

Ultimately it could affect the bottom line of the prima donna millionaire athletes who try to use the Anthem for protests purposes. Profession sport leagues have been accomodating to any players with sincere religious beliefs. The bottom line is that the teams are under no obligation to draft these players. If any player really has a problem with showing a few minutes respect for this country or Canada's national Anthem, then maybe they should go play in another Country's professional league that is waiting to pay them millions of dollars to play a game. Oh wait, other Countries will require they show respect for their National Anthem also, but probably won't play them as much.

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/nba/dion-waiters-denies-missing-national-anthem-due-to-religious-reasons/ar-AA7aSYF

I went back and looked, and now evidently this NBA player is denying he missed the National Anthem due to Muslim religious beliefs. Sounds like another prima donna millionaire player making a show of themselves.

• Simon
    Simon

It surprised us how the national anthem is played before many events here in Canada, often both the Canadian AND the American one and whether it's a big televised event like hockey or a small rural rodeo (hey, you have to go to one).

All very different from how it was in the UK.

They even do it each day at school.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit