As I move further away from theWT.....

by Viviane 33 Replies latest watchtower bible

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Viviane: This move our from being a JW changed me, for the better, I think. My kids father is still a JW, recently they told me that he often blames me for them not accepting the JW religion, believing in evolution and using "independent" thinking. They said they didn't blame me. I told them I WAS responsible for that, as much as I could be, but rather than accept blame, I would list freeing their mind as one of my proudest and best accomplishements.

Anyting similar happen to anyone else?

I've got my hand up! Can I comment?

I've just turned 79, got chucked out just short of 60. I'd been more or less 'god-free' before I became a witness, (took me 3 years of going through all the motions-before I was sure enough to get baptised). I believe I was a sincere Christian/witness, who tried hard to be a 'footstep' follower of Jesus.* I tried pioneering for some 10 years. Wasn't always an elder (not quite a 'company' man) and when I was, and even when I wasn't, I tried hard to care for the 'sheep.'

It didn't take me long, even after a 40 year hiatus (wandering in the wilderness- haha) to go back to my god-free mind, as I guess some have noticed.

I also believe that I'm a better person than I was as a JW, I'm more thoughtful, at least.

And I still try to contribute to the benefit of humanity. I'm secretary of the Owners Corporation for the apartment block where I live. In the Australian system, that's a bloody thankless task, you have to (should), care for the building and its residents, when no-one gives a flying f**k. All unpaid.

* 1 Peter 2:21 - because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.

• prologos
    prologos

Viviane, of course, all religions are silly, cut from the same cloth, but does it follow that the universe made itself?* I remain a deist. Credit were credit is due, without worship, and anonymously.

* you try to do it, or part of it.

• Viviane
    Viviane

Stone the infidel! Yorickians attack!

I knew him well!

It all "Much ado About Nothing".

It's lately sounded like kids arguing over whether or not Star Wars or Star Trek is better. Who cares?

I've got my hand up! Can I comment?

Please do, Brother Fulltimestudent.

Viviane, of course, all religions are silly, cut from the same cloth, but does it follow that the universe made itself?* I remain a deist. Credit were credit is due, without worship, and anonymously.

Completely OT.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

From my reading here, it appears that most who leave the JWs become agnostics and more likely, atheists. Very few move to other religions. Perhaps that is because, as JWs, we believed all other religions were "false". Only the JWs were "true". So, once we established that The Truth(TM) was not "true" either, everything religious became a big lie.

I still struggle with the wonders of creation -- or "nature", if you prefer. I can't quite think of it as the "wonders of evolution". How does a bird know how to build its first nest? It never saw its mother do that.

Yet, why would a loving Creator allow the evil that there is in the world? Why would he allow His "children" to suffer (often for all of their lives) to supposedly resolve some issue about his position of power? An imperfect, "wicked" human would not do that.

It took me a long time to get to the point that the WTS has no kind of connection to God. I started with the thought that there was just some "leaven" in the Organization. Gradually I saw it is all fake. Lots of good people involved (just like most other churches or civic groups), but nothing of a divine nature.

Taking the next step seems even more difficult.

Doc

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

I go further, I hate religion, all of it.

That people can still believe in the crap that they do in this day and age and then force their children to believe in the lies too disgusts me.

The video cofty posted in the jgnat / islam thread highlights what religious conviction can do, nothing has changed in the 10000s of years of people believing in unprovable nonsense so it isnt something new.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

When Satan appeared as a serpent and tempted Adam and Eve, is it possible that the devil stole their extra chromosome causing them to fall into sinful behavior which has led to violence, evil, and death to be passed down through the human race?

Oh. My God.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Similar feelings to the OP. I get irritated when so and so celebrity or sports figure reference "GOD" as the reason for their success. So if he gets the credit, does he also get the blame for the starvation in Africa, or the abuse of children across the globe? Only makes sense now doesn't it, until they pull their special pleading argument out of their backside.

The sheer size of the universe itself tells me that those of us here are just lucky ones who get to spend a few decades on a tiny rock before we go to sleep. Enjoy it while you can.

• DJS
    DJS

Viviane,

What do you mean Star Trek or Star Wars?? The real debate is Star Trek or Star Trek Next Gen. Kirk vs. Picard. I avoid all religions and religious discussions, even trying to on this site. Religion is the problem; it will never be the solution.

As I've stated before, we will never reach the full potential locked in our DNA until religion ceases to exist. It is a crutch for the weak, an excuse for the malfeasant.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I do think religion is silly but sometimes I worry about those young people who are born into a religion and they are so sincere, like I was. People laughed at me and poured scorn out in fs and it pushed me further into the cult because I was genuine and the laughter hurt. Perhaps not respect but maybe empathy for those who were raised in religions and who just haven't had chance to think about reality yet because they are so young?

• pronomono
    pronomono

Digging into things also helps avoid the niggling "OMG, what if they are right?!" worries that are soon swept away with learning and information.

This is the stage I'm at right now. I'm on the verge of detesting religion, or denominations at least. I don't believe in saying that I'm of this denomination or this (within Christianity). To me, a Christian is a Christian. Who cares about differences of interpretation as long as you don't force your interpretation on others (which JWs and lots of so-called Christians try to do). I'm still on the fence about whether Christianity is right, or if Christians have simply created a false dilemma. Or if Christians are wrong, but a God does exist. Or if God does exist, but not as we envision or in the nature that we think. Or if I truly care about the answers to any of these thoughts. For now, I'm just learning and taking in information, taking the time to digest it without making immediate conclusions. I have plenty of time to decide, hopefully...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit