As I move further away from theWT.....

by Viviane 33 Replies latest watchtower bible

• DJS
    DJS

pronomono,

Take your time; there is no hurry. I always had issues with existence of a god. The last few years in the Borg (an elder at that) I began thinking of the WT as the truth (hate that effing word now) that acted like a cult. Upon exiting, which was before the full advent of the wonderful world wide web and all of its access to cult information, I took my time, knowing that the journey would end with digging up the foundation - a belief in god, jesus, bible. I've referred to it before as a Pink Floyd sojourn, another brick in the wall.

I removed each brick methodically, analyzed it carefully, and then threw it away. When the wall was gone, all that was left was the foundation. I dug that up and threw it away, and it is the best thing I've ever done. I am free to be who I am, and I like myself much more now than when I was a narrow minded, judgmental theist/Xtian/Dub, waiting impatiently on god to destroy billions of people for my benefit.

Kinda sort sick now that I think about it.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

All religions are an agreement to set of lies, so all one has to do to become spiritualistic in these religions is pick only one.

or we can accept reality for what it is and try and make the human experience the better for all concerned.

The choice is inevitably ares to make and we have to accept the forwarding outcome from that choice.

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."

" The sole meaning of life is to serve humanity."

" Joy can only be real if people look upon their life as a service and have a definite object in life outside themselves and their personal happiness."

" The chief difference between words and deeds is that words are always intended for men for their approbation, but deeds can be done only for God." - Leo Tolstoy

"If anyone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen." - 1 John 4:20

" He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?" - Micah 6:8

Why abandon the Giver of Life and Source of Love, simply because you have been lied to?

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

Prologos - GREAT STATEMENT! "

"Viviane, of course, all religions are silly, cut from the same cloth, but does it follow that the universe made itself?* I remain a deist. Credit were credit is due, without worship, and anonymously.

* you try to do it, or part of it."

• Hidden-Window
    Hidden-Window

I find myself in a very similar situation. The more I read from and listen to Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens and a few others, the more I move to your position.

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

The progressive movement from religion to facts I enver understod...I was always taught JWs were fscts.. thr creation book etc... whenI found out facts were wrong...well//// no religion... so forget that BS

• Viviane
    Viviane

Why abandon the Giver of Life and Source of Love, simply because you have been lied to?

You have some kind of proof that your diety is the giver of life? Please do present that.

Oh. My God.

I know, that article was amazing.

The real debate is Star Trek or Star Trek Next Gen. Kirk vs. Picard.

No love for Captain Sulu?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

viviane - "No love for Captain Sulu?"

Oh, my.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

In the years since I left I have moved to the only sensible position, which is to lead an Evidence Based Life.

If there is no satisfactory ( to me) evidence for a proposition, then said proposition simply is of no interest to me.

So that includes Goblins and Faries, Unicorns, and of course gods and godesses, along with new-ageist "spirituality", magic chrystals and all.

I am Not Interested !

I have need of my real friends, but no need for imaginary ones.

All religions use the same methods, are created for the same reasons, and all religions LIE !

I am a rational Lover of Truth.

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

I was loved most dearly, as a child, by my non-practising Catholic grandmother. I absorbed empathetically her reverence for her version of "God." I confused 'love' in general with God.

I had no instruction beyond a few anecdotal precepts to live by.

I only attended Sunday School once and it was traumatic. I never went back.

Then . . . along came my best friend who was a Jehovah's Witness.

I wrongly assumed his 'knowledge' of the Bible was evidence of a superior awareness of a 'truth' kindred with my grandmother's numinous passion.  I became a young Paduan acolyte and was served up on Jehovah's altar in Federal Prison.

'Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.'

It has been a long, hard, scarring journey.

I would assert somewhat confidently, any intelligent person can abandon emotional security for intellectual honesty after a mourning period, and several outbursts of post-traumatic angst.

Honesty is a scalpel, but belief is narcotic. How do you perform a necessary surgery and endure the pain?

My answer is this. You GROW UP.

Dammit, this is a human tragedy; abandoning make-believe can do damage like nothing else can!

I've been married and divorced 4 times. The worst break-up of all was my divorce from Jehovah. I outgrew the need to be in a dependent relationship, as well as that unrealistic premise: 'something is better than nothing.'

No, my friends, if you have a true 'nothing' it is far easier to survive than to support the habit of a false 'something.'

I am a true nothing. My life is a true nothing.

It is a beautiful lonliness I exeperience now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit