Words that irritate

by punkofnice 86 Replies latest jw friends

• stillin
    stillin

I'm tired of hearing "that having been said" and going on to something unrelated as though something was in sequence.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Zoos - Surreal Solutions

Stillin - That sounds like something from Ecclesiastes

• Divergent
    Divergent

Words that irritate me - Preaching, witnessing, pioneering, can you do more?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Just Kidding - Publisher, baptised, happifying.....and my old faves 'oldster', 'hazing' and 'hunker down' all of which are meaningless to we Brits.

Things like this show how selfish and feckin' lazy the WBT$ are by forcing Americanisms on to we Brits. It's only through Satan's TV channels that we get to hear these words and understand them. May all the GB die in extreme pain.

They need 'solutions'.

• galaxie
    galaxie

This is what I mean prezactly in fact it's excisely what I mean..??!!!.

Someone stop me now, my brain hurts!

Punk do you know what you have startitiated ?!!..

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Galaxie - Ferzackaly

• Splash
    Splash

When the WT study contains a word that no one has ever come across before it's always a laugh.

We had "impunge" (rhymes with 'sponge') mentioned in comments a number of times a few weeks ago. The word was 'impugn'.
    Another favourite that crops up is "hyperbowl" instead of hyperbole.

These are even better when they come from the School Overseer.

They must have missed those lessons in their Awake! education course.

The tragedy is, this happens in every single congregation and they are never educated to correct themselves.
    It's embarrassing.

Splash

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Splosh - Another favourite that crops up is "hyperbowl" instead of hyperbole.

Yup. Heard that ad infinitum.

They must have missed those lessons in their Awake! education course.

The tragedy is, this happens in every single congregation and they are never educated to correct themselves.

The happiest people on earth are unlettered and ordinary.....sadly they think this is a GOOD thing. TWATS!

• Divergent
    Divergent

"like bees that are molested"

Worst lyrics ever

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

The misuse of ironic/irony always gets me. I blame Alanis Morrisette.

Another one is the word "rim" used when someone is talking about the wheels on a car. I have no idea how that started, but in no way is a car's wheel the rim of anything. It has a rim, but that's only a small portion of the wheel, and is essentially never what the person is talking about. Drives me crazy.

Then there's just the common misuse of phrases that come about because no one bothers to actually listen to themselves and think about the meaning of the words they're saying, i.e. the eggcorns - "for all intensive purposes" (intents and purposes) "I could care less" (so you do care some, then?) "supposably" (instead of supposedly) or probably the most common, the use of "of" instead of "have" or the "'ve" contraction- he should of done it vs he should've done it, etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit