Words that irritate

by punkofnice 86 Replies latest jw friends

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I have words that irritate me and not always without reason.

My latest hate is the word: 'SOLUTIONS' as used by so many businesses in their title these days. Y'know, 'Something innane Business Solutions' and such balderdash.

I loathe that word now. Arrrrggghhhhhh! I surmise some 'offlish' using yuppie decided to hijack it, used it in a business title and a load of snobs and sheeple decided to use it. Bleedin' bandwagoning wazzocks.

When I was young a 'solution' was the result of a solute and a solvent mixing. It wasn't part of a bleedin' business title that some clever clogs invented.

I wanna be SICK.

Rant over.

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

punkie - I share your annoyance at the bastardization of the language by business jargon and I love your use of language: "Bleedin' bandwagoning wazzocks" is a thing of beauty.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I begin to hate words that are overused, and misused, to the point where they lose their proper meaning, and therfore impact.

One such that comes to mind is "Iconic", everything that half impresses some verbally challenged commentator is described as "Iconic", when it is nothing of the sort.

An Icon was used to channel a person's worship and aid them toward the spiritual, most of the s*** that is described as iconic does nothing of the sort, and isn't even worth a look.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I have an irritating phrase: 'let's be clear about this'.

Used by politicians to squirm out of a difficult situation whilst they befuddle the listener/questioner.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Frazz - the bastardization of the language by business jargon

Yes. that's the concept I had in mind.

Phuzzy - words that are overused, and misused, to the point where they lose their proper meaning,

Like 'pacific' instead of 'specific'?

and 'I should of...' instead of 'I should have....'?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

LUHE - irritating phrase: 'let's be clear about this'.

That reminds me of the WBT$'s 'Evidently(tm)'.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Well thoise mistakes are annoying, like the number of times you hear "Bought" instead of "Brought", but what I mean't was the overuse, everything being Iconic, or as our friends across the pond might say "AWsome !", when it is far from that.

Find another word, not the one everyone is using.

I must say that I think all of your posts Punkie, are Iconicly AWESOME !

• cofty
    cofty

"Incentivise"

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Phuzzy - Hey, radical dude! I am sick as a parrot at the end of the day and giving 110%

Cofty - I cringe at that one too...urg! Bleedin' business words.......is it even a word I wonder?!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The other one that comes to mind is "I am passionate about....".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit