New ExJW here for the first time.

by WideAwake7 51 Replies latest jw experiences

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I like what BalaamsAss, 3rdGen, and Searcher commented. Esp to make it clear YOU ARE HAPPY!

The greatest revenge is living a happy & successful life!

I would only add NOT to say anything incriminating if you want to continue a successful fade. Don't complain about doctrine or question New Light or do anything that could get some zealous Elder stalking you.

Looking forward to your Story.

Doc

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Welcome WideAwake. I'm looking forward reading your story. My wife is still active and a few weeks ago I saw an invitation to a wedding reception for two widowers from the congregation. I didn't say anything about it nor did my wife and I was happy she didn't. I still would have gone with her but I would have found it hard to face the JW fake smiles and phony love bombing. It's been 4 years since I left and except for no one person no one ever attempted to keep in touch with me...including ones who would embrace me at every meeting. I just couldn't bear have them attempting hugging me without saying anything. I have been left alone by the elders and I will not give anyone the false hope that I could return one day. But that's just me.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Welcome, and congratulations on getting out with your wife!

• mouthy
    mouthy

Welcome....

• Londo111
    Londo111

Welcome, WideAwake7!

• flipper
    flipper

WIDE AWAKE- It's really great to have you here on the board. Many of us have gone through what you've experienced and we are here for you. Hang in there and take care

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Congrats WA7 for kicking the Borg to the curb !!

But don't be surprised if you're asked questions at the wedding since you mentioned that some know your family has become inactive. You know how they are, "gotta get that time in" mentality. They'll just have to asked "how you're doing in da troof now". Just say you and the family are doing exceptionally well and just enjoy the wedding, after all it's a wedding not a return visit.

• DaleRivers
    DaleRivers

Welcome Wide Awake7!

Glad you and your family are out. I'm looking forward to hearing your story.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Welcome

The JWs will be split into three types.

The nice ones that treat you normally as if nothing changed

The judgemental ones that completely ignore you

The uber ones - expect a few of these - that remind you how bad the world has become and that you need to come back to the hall of you want to survive. I had a number of people tell me that at my fathers funeral.

You may also get a few comments about how great jw.org and have you checked it out.

• stirred but not shaken
    stirred but not shaken

Long time elder here with lots of merit badges. I agree with jwfacts as to the types you will run into. Huge family of JWs for us. My wife and I have been left out (not invited) to some recent family events, we're hurt but understand their reasoning..which is why I would advise not to get in their face about things. Try to remember how you might have handled it when you were in.

If no one has mustered up the courage to ask you about your present beliefs or what bothers you, events like weddings or other functions/events would not be a good place to start with explanations.

There's usually folks from several congs. attending those things, and they will feel awkward because you were once one of them (an exemplary one at that) and now you're an unbeliever or worse yet, have apostate leanings.

Remember, to JWs, Satan lurks under every rock and behind every tree. They're afraid to converse about your new situation, because Satan is sooo clever. Thank our "friends" in Brooklyn for that. Now that you have looked behind the curtain, their attitude will frustrate and infuriate you. Stay calm, and remember what it was like.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit