one last step..Is being mentally out the same as being emotionally out?

by MissFit 64 Replies latest jw friends

• MissFit
    MissFit

We talk here about the importance of being mentally and physically out to be really free.

What about being emotionally free?

What comes first?

I realized for me, I had to be emotionally awake first. I had been yo-yo-ing back and forth for years. Until I found out about Candice Conti and realized the child abuse cover up mentality was a policy not a fluke.

When I started here and read the experiences and life stories, I realized the happiest, most loving people on earth was a fairy tale.

When I was able to disconnect from that lie, I was able to start tackling other " Truths" and mentally leaving.

Which one was harder for you?

Which one came first?

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I am a logical person...so once I became mentally out, the emotions followed shortly after.

Its impossible to be emotional tied to something that your logical brain discards. It is also hard to be emotionally tied to something that has been a source of hurt and deception and that has resulted in so much damage in ones life!

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

I began pulling away when I became physically ill and mentally exhausted from the phony sideshow. My cognitive dissonance was in overdrive. I was a reg pio for several years and not leading a double life but I felt a growing unease and distaste for the meetings and the phony people. But like a good little dub, I convinced myself that I just needed to study more and pray more and that's why I didn't feel like I fit in, or like things weren't working out well.

So I did the full-blown look-up-all-the-scriptures-underline-notes-in-the-margin study and picked out three answers, which was increasingly difficult in the foreigh language congregation we attended. Determined to answer and be a part of the happiest-people-on-earth group, I got dressed and went to the meeting for the first time in several weeks. The strangest thing happened. Instead of feeling all happy and warm at the hall, I felt like every fiber of my being was telling me to get away. So I got up and left - don't remember if I even stayed for the talk - but that was the last meeting I attended. I went to the next memorial in another town with family just to make them happy but felt like I couldn't get out the door fast enough.

The Candace Conti revelation was also an important trigger for me, and I'd already been physically out for a year. My family experienced an incident of molestation decades ago, but reading about Candace and her lawsuit brought it all flooding back and I realized that ours was not an isolated case. My emotional responses were the fuel that led me to start digging and gave me the courage to come here to JWN, although I couldn't handle the intensity at first and it took another year before I felt comfortable commenting.

My cult indoctrination was very deep. I spent more than a full year getting rid of the intense anger, grief, even rage at times toward this lying, scheming organization that defrauded me and my family and kept us away from really living for decades. I did a lot of healing, and coming back to JWN coupled with lots of non-religious spiritual reading helped push me to a place of peace.

Ignoring the mental and emotional exhaustion brought on by living the bOrg life caused me severe physical illness that forced me to bed, so I was removed from the cult influence and my brain began healing. Although it was a continuous journey cycling through the emotions, I believe physical distance was a huge factor is speeding up my awakening.

I would have to say that the Mental process triggered the Emotional responses that led to getting out Physically, but the Emotional issues had to be worked through. Much like when you first studied and you learned layers upon layers of cult theology, you have to peel back those layers to get them all out of your mind. So I don't think it's like tearing off a costume and throwing it away for good, at least not when you've heavily invested in it emotionally.

I feel deeply for all those who know TTATT but cannot leave for family reasons. Just recognizing that things didn't quite add up made it tortuous for me, so kudos to all of you who are enduring.

• MissFit
    MissFit

So stuckinarut: are you saying you were already emotionally out ? Or did learning TTATT push you out emotionally also?

I am thinking of the ones here who still have loved ones in. It seems many times they try to wake them up mentally without success.

I am wondering if focusing on the emotional side would be more helpful.

As you said: it is hard to be emotionally tied to something that has been a source of hurt and deception and that has resulted in so much damage in ones life!

So I am wondering if being hurt by the org. and their policies make it easier to be receptive to the doctrinal TTATT.

Also if a person wants to keep their relationships intact and are fading they are still emotionally connected.

• MissFit
    MissFit

Cultbegone: Great post .Thanks for your insite and experience. I can relate alot to what you said. You are so right. The emotional chains can be an on going process to remove . I am glad you are in a better place now.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Direct apostasy never works. There has to be an external trigger that sets you off down this course.

• MissFit
    MissFit

Joe: I agree. But I think most JWs have internal triggers that they ignore because they want to cling to the" worldwide family in God's organization" myth.

But once you are out emotionally triggered you still need TTATT to cut the ties and to get you mentally and physically free.

Some are never physically out because they are tied emotionally to loved ones still in.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I'm cold and dead inside so once it became obvious that "the truth" was a lie I no longer had any connection or desire to remain in the cult. I was indoctrinated as a youth during the tail end of the period of pseudo-rational analysis of the scriptures (and at that time didn't have the critical thinking skills to recognize the rampant fallacy) so I always believed that my religion should be based on sound evidence. In the last 10 or so years I began to notice the rampant fallacy, but just calked it up to them simplifying things because it seemed that many in the congregation were of below average intelligence (or "humble" as it was once rationalized to me). During this period I was in denial and was using my own logical fallacy (appeal to consequence) to tell myself that it had to be true because if it wasn't it'd mean that the WTS had been lying to me and everyone I know for decades.

Once I finally got pushed far enough to do my own research and found concrete proof of their lies, it was all over. I never had any emotionally tramatic experience in the cult, it was all a rational decision for me - if they're right, then it's worth it to stay. Once I knew they were wrong it wasn't worth it any more.

Your point is definitely well taken, though. My wife's attachment to the cult is purely emotional. I've shown her a few things that affected me the most, but she just sorta brushes it off. It's not important to her to understand everything....it's just about doing "what's right" (what she's told by the WTS is right) and gabbing with her few friends after meetings. The sad thing, though, is that all her "friends" are really terrible people and she knows it. All but one has pretty obvious emotional or mental problems (bi-polar, hypochondria, etc) and the one that doesn't is possibly the most selfish person on the planet. But it's all she knows and she's driven by guilt to be at meetings and she needs the socializing that she gets there. What wakes her up (if anything) will be completely different than what did it for me.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I do not think they are the same.

I would say that I am mentally out -- that is, I fully know TTATT.

But I cannot say that I am "emotionally" out.

There are still too many things from JWdom that influence me/us. Family. Old thinking from former indoctrination. For example, I could never celebrate Christmas. I don't care if you do so, but I won't ever do so. Might I give some business contacts a tin of cookies or restaurant gift certificate? Yes. But, wish everyone a Merry Christmas and put up a tree? Ain't gonna happen.

I'm sure there are other examples I could think of if I dwelled on it.

Doc

• KateWild
    KateWild

I am mentally out and physically out. But your thread has got me thinking, I have been physically out for almost a year and I still think I am emotionally conected in some way. I can't quite put my finger on it but I am connected to loved ones and the thought that they are nice decent people. I have slowly moved on and don't keep in touch regularly.

I think I need to work on becoming emotionally free too, but I am not quite sure how to do it.

Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit