HELP! Elder bombarded me with scripture...& I don't know what to do.

by Smoky 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Hoffnung
    Hoffnung

1st of all, you have no obligation to him, he has no authority over you, so do not allow him any influence over your decisions. if you do not want to go to the meetings, or any other jw activities, just tell him so. 'sorry, i understand this is something big for you, but i have lost interest' or similar. i tried it, and it works.

2nd, every single point he might being out can be debunked, with the bible. even if you are not up to the task, he still has no real point. are we living in the time of the end¿ according to their own understanding, the time of the end is already going on for 140 years, and no sign of the end yet. do we have to go from door to door¿. taking a look in the kingdom interlinear learns us that 1, nor Jesus, nor his apostles, nor Paul ever went from door to door. 2 the only place where 'from house to house' is mentioned, literary says ' do NOT go from house to house', a command from ... jesus.

so there is no reason at all you should feel intimidated

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

Don't fight back unless you have the weapons in your head. And don't call yourself a "P****. You are not. You have successfully faded so keep your status quo. Follow what DOC said.

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

where were you that this man was able to talk to you this long?

I tend to let people talk, try to look like im busy,

then say 'well, i see things a bit differently , but thanks for your concern, im glad you still show

me consideration and ill think about what you said'.

and then move on....

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Best advice to get rid of them, say you're one of the anointed and that you have been given Eternal life as a gift for believing in Jesus christ, then if you have to, have him turn to 1 John 5, its a short chapter and it says that you have been given this as a promise and if they say otherwise then they are calling god a liar., its says so in the chapter

1 John 5 New International Version (NIV)

Faith in the Incarnate Son of God

5 Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves the father loves his child as well. 2 This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands. 3 In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, 4 for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. 5 Who is it that overcomes the world? Only the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.

6 This is the one who came by water and blood—Jesus Christ. He did not come by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit who testifies, because the Spirit is the truth. 7 For there are three that testify: 8 the [ a ] Spirit, the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement. 9 We accept human testimony, but God’s testimony is greater because it is the testimony of God, which he has given about his Son. 10 Whoever believes in the Son of God accepts this testimony. Whoever does not believe God has made him out to be a liar, because they have not believed the testimony God has given about his Son. 11 And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12 Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life.

13I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life. 14 This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. 15 And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him.

16 If you see any brother or sister commit a sin that does not lead to death, you should pray and God will give them life.

Then tell the elder you will pray for him so that he to, will have life through Jesus Christ!!!!

• Luo bou to
    Luo bou to

I had a similar experience re the end coming in 75 I simply told the CO that my grandmother was90 knows and accepts she will die soon and does not worry about it I feel the same about the big A it will only affect my life now if I worry about it He had no answer

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I don't understand. If you are an atheist, why would you want to refute things he raises from the Bible, which as an atheist carries no authority.

If you want to have a comeback, it is a futile mission, but realise that he has cherrypicked a few scriptures, out of context and misapplied. Here are some articles that show how.

"only those who invoke the name of Jehova will be saved"

Jehovah never appears in the New Testament. He is referring to Romans 10:13, which is a dishonest translation in the NWT. The name referred to is actually Jesus. jwfacts.com/watchtower/jehovah.php

....go preaching.

jwfacts.com/watchtower/preach.php

"even if you progess, keep doing this routine" ....go to meeting.
    "encourage each other, and keep hands, you will receive gift for your work" ....paradise for preaching work.
    "like the days of noah, people eating drinking, etc. people will not listen to god"....be in the arc of gods organization, or die.
    "keep doing work till the End"....cant stop going to meeting and preaching till the end.
    "look for god, and he will find you, leave god, and he will leave you forever"....

All of these apply equally to any Christian religion. The Watchtower is a doomsday religion, that has acted as a false prophet for over 100 years pronouncing specific dates for the end that never came true. See Deuteronomy 18:20-22 to find out how God feels about people making false predictions in his name. Therefore the Watchtower is not a religion worth considering as a place to gather for salvation, encouragement etc.

• KateWild
    KateWild

You have drawn your own conclusion after reading some posts and you have taken good advice. Indoctrinated elders are in a cult and it's hard to wake them up to a normal belief. Kate xx

• Fernando
    Fernando

If you ever really HAVE to go against your better judgment and the good advice given above, you'd be surprised just how blind and ignorant these so-called "elders" are when asked a few well chosen "simple" questions...

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

You may choose to accept that "discretion is the better part of valour" , and not get into a detailed discussion with this elder who is evidently very adept at using his NWT Bible to support his argument.

You need to be clear in your own mind though . One ploy of the WTS is to cherry pick selected verses and make an application that simply was not intended by the Bible writer. Ask yourself 1) If I read this chapter in full context, does it really relate to the point he is making? 2) Where in the Bible does it say that belief in the Watchtower Society is important? Does the New Testament not teach the belief in Jesus and faith in Jesus , without any denomination?

Best wishes

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

As a side note:

You've been successfully "faded" for over 1o years.

It is NOT unheard of for a body of zealous elders to "go after" someone who has been out for years if they find sufficient cause. Cause would be if your JW ex-wife wanted to remarry or if the Elder doesn't like you or your family member or if the zealous elder is super super righteous and feels the need to pursue some successful fader like you who has "slipped through the cracks".

Leave it alone.

As Outlaw would say (with pics), Go get KFC and a beer with a few realfriends.

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit