HELP! Elder bombarded me with scripture...& I don't know what to do.

by Smoky 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

If you like the position that you are in at the moment -- "inactive" vs "DFd" then STFU (shut the F*** Up) and tell him "I know, I know, I know you are right, thanks for your concern".

Then go laugh your ass off with someone else over a few beers.

Doc

The greatest revenge is living a happy and successful life.

• Smoky
    Smoky

www.youtube.com/embed/-dJolYw8tnk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

anyway, i just thought there was a way thru scripture to argue against.

That reasoning won't work as they have heard it all before and will probably have another scripture or interpretation to counter any arguments you bring up. Best to just say we will agree to disagree and go your separate ways.

• Smoky
    Smoky

thanks DOC for your being frank with me.

Yes, I will STFU....but its so tempting to argue.

"I know, I know, I know you are right, thanks for your concern"....that makes me feel like a punk...I think to myself: "fight back p*ssy!"

• jgnat
    jgnat

When you fight back, fight from a position of strength. The bible is not your strong suit. So don't go there.

For any scripture there is another to match it.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%2017:16-34

In this section of Acts, Paul says that God speaks to all people at all times through his creation. No preaching required. Of course, Paul is preaching in this instance....

As for people marrying, eating, and drinking, ask your elder friend if he has given up these things? No? The bible verse is not saying those things were bad, just that people are out and about doing ordinary things when disaster strikes. It is not an admonition to give up doing ordinary things!

A verse Blondie has mentioned often is Matthew 24:36. No-one knows the hour. So why fuss about it? The Witnesses obviously don't have the inside track.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

encourage each other, and keep hands, you will receive gift for your work" ....paradise for preaching work.

What that says is read and accept the WTS. doctrines loyally which are noted to be false, twisted and corrupt.

Jehovah will never accept false prophets, even commercialized ones running their own publishing house.

That goes for all religious charlatans.

Tell that to the elder and say....... " What are you trying to do, get me killed ? "

• Incognito
    Incognito

"I know, I know, I know you are right, thanks for your concern"....that makes me feel like a punk...I think to myself: "fight back p*ssy!"

I would caution against saying "I know you are right" as that takes away from any personal ideas or beliefs of your own. It also supports their usual opinion you are too weak or lazy to do what you agree is the proper thing to do (ie: as you are told at the meetings).

Although you may initially consider it weak to not argue an opposing point of view, upon consideration you may realize there is little if anything to be gained by doing so. Why waste your time attempting to reason with someone who comes equipped with a pre-conceived agenda and who really is not interested in hearing your opinions, ideas or excuses.

As an adult, ultimately you are responsible to yourself for what you believe or do not believe so you do not need to provide an explanation or excuse to this JW elder or any JW.

• tornapart
    tornapart

Tell them it's your life and you will do with it whatever you want. God gave you a free will and does not want you to be a robot (even if you no longer believe in God, he does). You don't wish to be rude but you are happy with your life as it is, thankyou very much.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

You CANNOT win, even if you win the argument.

If the guy is a prideful person (remember that they actually believe they are the Stars of Revelation and "Dukes") he may come after you. In his religious fervor to "save" you as a Shepherd of your soul, he may feel that "Jehoober " needs to punish you.

Its a cult. He worships the GB/ORG. If you feel that you must say anything, just ask," So if the big A comes tomorrow, would my Heavenly Father kill me??" You can go many directions from there, but you must be careful. Unless you know more about their own beliefs than they do, do not even attempt any funny business.

DD

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

Like others have advised, DO NOT get into a debate about this issue with an Elder. He is just a programmed JW robot spouting the typical guilt invoking nonsense. He has absolutely no power over you at all. Next time he tries to coax you into attending meetings, just reply by saying: 'Thank you for your concern but I'm perfectly happy with the situation as it is. I will let you know if anything changes.'. Then change the subject by wishing him a good day and say goodbye. If any further questions are asked, just say: 'I don't have anything to say about that.'. Keep us updated as to how things go the next time the Elder questions you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit