HELP! Elder bombarded me with scripture...& I don't know what to do.

by Smoky 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Smoky
    Smoky

Hi,
    I have been lurking on this site for many years. I rarely post anything, because my english isnt the best and not sure if anyone understands. I just recently had a run in with an Elder, have not seen him in a few years. (for the record Im not disfellowshipped or disassociated, just inactive for 10+yrs). So he started asking me when will I start going to meeting again. Im not afraid to talk to elders or hate them...most are sincere. But I thread litely because Im not ready to come out as an Atheist. my answer to his question is always vague..."you know one day". He began his preaching thing with me...and I had a hard time trying to make an arguement against the teaching according to their interpretation of the bible:

"only those who invoke the name of Jehova will be saved" ....go preaching.
    "even if you progess, keep doing this routine" ....go to meeting.
    "encourage each other, and keep hands, you will receive gift for your work" ....paradise for preaching work.
    "like the days of noah, people eating drinking, etc. people will not listen to god"....be in the arc of gods organization, or die.
    "keep doing work till the End"....cant stop going to meeting and preaching till the end.
    "look for god, and he will find you, leave god, and he will leave you forever"....

The point the Elder was trying to make, was for me to see that I need to be in gods favor. I need to be preaching and going to meeting learning "exact" knowledge of jehova TILL THE END. If not I will be in danger DYING.

Does anyone know how i can argue this teaching?

Thanks
    Smoky

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

You might get better answers from others here who've gone through this situation before, but personally when it comes time for that I'm not going to try to refute anything they say. You don't need to prove anything to them, and the only thing that will come of it is more preaching and possibly a JC. Instead, I would go with something like "Right now I'm leaving things in Jehovah's hands. I've prayed about my situation and I have confidence that Jehovah understands why I do what I do since he is the only one who can read my heart condition."

Thank them for their time and concern and assure them that you'll let them know as soon as there's anything that they can help you with. That puts the ball in your court, and you're probably not planning on hitting it back.

• sloppyjoe2
    sloppyjoe2

Your argument can't be to disprove his scripture. As an atheist you do not believe in the bible. The argument between you two can only be whether the bible is the word of God or it isn't. Otherwise, how are you going to prove something to someone using a book you yourself do not believe in? The bible can be interpreted and twisted thousands of different ways and every belief system has a way to explain their idea as the only right way. If you do not want to come out and say you are an atheist, there is no argument to be made.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Don't bother refuting/arguing with an elder. Just say "Thanks for your thoughts" and be done with them. They won't really hear anything except that you don't want to apply counsel.

OR be very needy. Tell him "I would come to the meetings but could you help me out? I need money for a suit. I need busfare."

• sporece
    sporece

You can't argue, you have no argument. He believes and you don't.

Don't say anything against the watchtower because he might be the type to push for DF.

Often when i'm talking to JW i just tell them i don't believe the bible anymore...that's it...conversation ends and there is no argument.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Remember these elders have no authority or power over you unless you give them that.

• steve2
    steve2

Why on God's earth are you still trying to present an argument to them that you want them to accept? Get on with your life without the need to argue with them.

Who ever said your goal is to win arguments with them?

BTW, you do know what to do: You've been doing it for 10+ years - keep doing that.

• Smoky
    Smoky

thanks for your input guys...much appreciated.

sloppy joe & OTWO...my sentiments exactly about being an Atheist and not beleiving in the bible. It was hard to restrain myself from telling them that exactly...i woudl only say that the bible was written for THOSE PEOPLE, OF THAT TIME. And that was my only argument.

anyway, i just thought there was a way thru scripture to argue against.

i think i wil go with OYJ reply suggestion: "Right now I'm leaving things in Jehovah's hands. I've prayed about my situation and I have confidence that Jehovah understands why I do what I do since he is the only one who can read my heart condition."

that should keep them at bay.

smoky

• trebor
    trebor

"...according to their interpretation of the bible"

That's where it begins and ends, my friend. The Bible is ambiguous enough, in a plethora of places, that you can grab (also known as cherry-picking) a verse or two, even entire passages and apply it in a variety of ways, if one desires.

The Watchtower has its interpretation (along with its own translation of the Bible) and the Elder believes it is "truth". Neither his belief nor does anyone else’s have any power over you, unless you allow it.

• Smoky

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit