December 1,2014 watchtower saying buying house is bad

by hoser 67 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

It should be noted the society has a very healthy property portfolio.

• 4thgen
    4thgen

iOubliette - Thank you for your opinions. I agree with you on:

"...the outcome" of this contrived situation was deliberately designed by the writer of this article to lead you to the foregone conclusion which they have already drawn for you. The important thing for us to learn here, is that WT writings are carefully crafted propaganda designed to reinforce their selfish goals and manipulate you into believing and thereby acting as they wish. It is important to develop the cognitive skill to recognize when you're being had."

It is nice that things worked out of you with your mortgage. Others are not so lucky. In my opinion, you are taking a narrow view of the real estate market, considering only your local area.

Additionally, your comments of 'You should keep in mind'. etc. is very condesending.

Most likely, the illustration was fabricted by the Watchtower.

I do not want to debate words here....I only want to help and I still believe that it's best to get educated. Being lucky in the market doesn't aways happen.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

NHAH, good points both.

WTBTS, "Do as we say, not at we do!"

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

4thgen, I didn't mean to be condescending. Point taken. Please accept my apologies.

We are both in agreement that education is vital, and not too surprisingly, something that the WTBTS does NOT want its followers to have. This includes being financially savvy.

I realize that many people did not do well in the housing market, particularly during the last economic downturn. However, that was largely because people were not financially educated an agreed to loans with terms that were unwise in a very speculative bubble. (Read: Adjustable Rate Mortgages).

4thgen: Being lucky in the market doesn't aways happen.

Approaching financial planning with the hope of "being lucky" is a recipe for disaster. Investing and gambling are two different activities. Investing has inherent risks. With careful planning and a long-term approach, many of these can be anticipated and mitigated.

4thgen: In my opinion, you are taking a narrow view of the real estate market, considering only your local area.

Actually, I'm taking the opposite view. My approach to both home-ownership and investing in real estate is long-term and concerns a wide variety of regional markets as well as international.

The fact is that the long-term trend in real estate is one of increasing value.

Housing Market 1963 - 2010

Again, being educated is the key. On this point we both agree!

• 4thgen
    4thgen

Oubliette - Ah, we have found common ground..... So since apparently we both something about real esate....why don't we get together and buy up some land in Warwick and give the WT a run for their money?

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

4thgen, I appreciate your ironic humor!

Unfortunately, I am not a fan of New York, upstate or otherwise.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Who wants to be a Millionaire?

Where i live the average house is .350,000. So in twenty years it will be worth a million.

Who wants to rent and in twenty years be broke?

Its a no brainer....

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

NHAH, thank you for so succinctly putting in a few words what I struggled to put in hundreds!

• 4thgen
    4thgen

NHAH, Agreed!

• Real estate* - Good.
    • JW.org - bad

*timed right in a good market

• Chris Tann
    Chris Tann

Yes, we know that buying or building a house is not wrong. As Jesus said, it is the " not taking any note" that is dangerous. This couple obviously did not considered the cost and it caused them harm. One can have a house without it being a burden and still be a faithful active Christian. Sure some may wrongfully and self righteously condemn you for buying a house, but they sure don't say anything when they want to have field service meetings in your spacious house every week.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit