The WT's biggest deception?

by BU2B 34 Replies latest jw friends

• BU2B
    BU2B

It just dawned on me that one of if not the most deceptive thing that the WT convinces the members of is that the truth does not stand up to investigation. They teach that lies trump truth.

The reality of course is something entirely different. Logic and common sense tell us that if something is true, it has no need to hide from debate, or critical investigation. Truth does and will stand up after you investigate both sides of a story. How do you know if you are being decieved if you only get information from one source, one that stands to gain at that! The WT has commented to this effect at times. The following is from the Truth book. It is only one example.

Since we do not want our worship to be in vain, it is important for each one of us to examine his religion.

5 We need to examine, not only what we personally believe, but also what is taught by any religious organization with which we may be associated. Are its teachings in full harmony with God's Word, or are they based on the traditions of men? If we are lovers of the truth, there is nothing to fear from such an examination.

If it is true that truth has nothing to fear from a critical examination, why then do JWs not believe this? They have been lied to and taught that the TRUTH the only truth WILL NOT stand up under scrutiny. Even talking to a former member or visiting their blogs is going to lead you out of the "truth".

They have convinced their members that lies trump truth and truth crumbles under critical investigation. They warn of apostate deceptions, when in fact, "apostates" generally do nothing other than expose the WT deceptions and lies. They are yelling "PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN" and "LOOK AT THE EMPERORS WONDERFUL ROBES" when in fact he is naked.

When a JW reasons that that if they have the truth and should be able to debate the liar apostates, and then attempt to, 9 out of 10 times they will leave the JWs at least mentally. Once you have seen that the wizard of Oz is just an old powerless man behind a curtain, you cannot unsee it.

The WT actually explains perfectly the true reason they do not want you looking at critical information.

"The religious leaders were not happy that the common people were being set free. They did not want to lose their position of authority and the hold they had on the people." (The Watchtower, June 15, 1962, page 357.)

In short the WT has convinced millions that truth cannot stand under the light of criticism or investigation. It must literally flee. JWs avoid ex-JWs or people critical of the organization like a vampire treats the cross or sunlight. Steve Hassan stresses that a member or potential member of a group, any group should SEEK OUT critical information and honestly evaluate its validity. JWs agree with this whe it comes to anyone else, but when its them, they deny the truthfulness of that. JWs! You cannot have it both ways! Either something is true or it isnt. Either truth has nothing to fear or it does. You cannot have it both ways. I realized this truth and its why I woke up to TTATT and now think for myself.

-Joel aka BU2B

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Yes, well said (though overly red ;). I never could understand why I was supposed to be afraid of apostates. If I had the truth, then that meant that either I could defend it against anything incorrect that they said, or else I needed to get better at understanding the truth, or else they would only make assertions that could not be proven, and I would simply ignore those. I couldn't understand why it would make sense to just flee from criticism.

That being said, I was comfy enough in my life as a JW that I chose not to closely examine my religion for many years, precisely because I suspected it would not hold up. There was a certain fear, not of it not being the truth, but of the changes in my life that I knew I'd have to make if it was not the truth.

• blondie
    blondie

I will answer the question I thought was being asked:

The WT's biggest deception?

to: non-jws, that the WTS is a slightly misguided small mainstream religion, nothing to fear

to: jws, that they are the only true religion, and all others will soon be destroyed all the while saying they are going to save people they already believe that the majority are doomed to eternal death.

Being in a family where one parent was non-jw and one was jw, I did not know what to hope for.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Being in a family where one parent was non-jw and one was jw, I did not know what to hope for.

Can definitely relate to this BLONDIE. Well expressed.

• designs
    designs

'There is no God but Allah' sorta like that...

• Island Man
    Island Man

An excellent post, BU2B!

Do you mind if I share the contents of your post in a Yahoo Answers question?

• BU2B
    BU2B

Not at all Island man! I appreciate it and take it as a compliment.

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

When the Devil tempted Jesus, did he flee? ... No ... Jesus "gave an answer to the Devil".

Aren't Christians supposed to follow the example of Christ?

Why are JWs told to flee apostates then?

Are apostates scarier than Satan the Devil himself? ...Apparently so.

Shouldn't the representatives of Jehovah and Jesus Christ on earth be more confident in their teachings?

The WT says they have no fear of man. They do not fear worldly rulers. They do not fear religous leaders. They do not fear the merchants and money changers. They do not fear the demons. They do not fear Satan himself...

But they are scared of an internet forum ???

The question "friends" is WHY?

-TE

P.S. Good O.P. BU2B

• Island Man
    Island Man

BU2B, here's a link to my new Yahoo Answers question sharing your observations.

• KateWild
    KateWild

I agree, I remember coming to a similar conclusion about asking questions. Chapter 1 of the Bible Teach book encourages students to ask questions, but low and behold if a JW questions doctrine they are an apostate. Total deception.

Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit