Watchtower Is Outraged! Look What Comes Up When You Type Jehovah's Witnesses on Google!

by BucketShopBill 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Divergent
    Divergent

Britney Spears? Lol

• blondie
    blondie

www.jw.org comes up first, then wikipedia, then jwn

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Searches on Google are often based on your search history and choices from those results, which go through Google's servers. I'm not sure if it's enough to log out of any Google-related account to get the "naive" search results.

• 4thgen
    4thgen

Now I am confused. Was the recent JW.org campaign to keep the site at the top of searches because of the volume of hits they hoped to get?

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Well, Google doesn't know how many people go to a certain address directly -- only if they choose the site from amongst Google's search results. So if people directly type in "jw.org", which is no doubt what the Society prefers, that shouldn't influence the results in Google. The number of links to a site will also influence its ranking, but a tract campaign is unlikely to change the number of links by very much without a specific effort to advertise on the Internet.

I don't know all the factors that Google considers in ranking search results, but I think they also look at the number of people who previously chose that result. So if everyone is clicking on the third result for a given search term, eventually it moves up to #2, then #1. As stated earlier, the order of results can also be drastically different from person to person due to their prior history of Google searches.

However, researching this a bit more, it looks like anyone who installs the Google toolbar will have all of their browser traffic sent to Google, for more exact information on general popularity of pages. So I guess that the campaign could raise jw.org in search results on the basis of the large number of people who probably have the Google toolbar installed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit