Today's WT study!. Watch out for the "wicked" in the cong!

by stuckinarut2 42 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ablebodiedman
    ablebodiedman

Today's WT study!. Watch out for the "wicked" in the cong!

Millions Now Living Will Never Die

They positively will not die

2 Corinthians 11:3

But I am afraid that somehow, as the serpent seduced Eve by its cunning, YOUR minds might be corrupted away from the sincerity and the chastity that are due the Christ.

So whose minds are corrupted? (aka "wicked")

abe

• Violia
    Violia

Wow, Designs, I seldom agree 100% with you, but it is

1980 all over again. look out the boogie man will get you.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

CoCo:

I made a comment on paragraph 4 (something I don't do very often any more) based on what I mentioned here. Someone immediately buried it with 'what the paragraph says.'

I'm pretty much in agreement with what another poster said about it being a waste of time commenting. Anything outside of exactly what the paragraph says is 'disrespectful of the slave.'

Bobcat

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

All authoritarian thought-control regimes (eg, Stalin's USSR, Nazi Germany, Pol Pots Khmer Rouge), both political and religious, encourage people within the community to dob suspected dissenters in, even one's closest family and friends.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

The Facebook group "Jehovah's Witness Kingdom Songs" which is an apostate group which ironically full of Nigerian JWs has been going nuts with this stuff. The active JWs have been quoting it at us apostates since yesterday. It's really sinking in for these guys. Watch to see how many more of you who are just inactive or fading be shunned.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

@Bobcat, what you said is exactly why I don't comment anymore.

I wanted to comment on the phrase "renounce unrighteousness" since the Greek word for what the NWT translates as "renounce" is, quite ironically, "Apostētō", which means "let depart", "abstain from", "draw away". This should actually translate to "let him depart from unrightousness" or "let him abstain from unrighteousness".

The word "renounce" is an interesting choice. The primary definition of renounce in English is: " formally declare one's abandonment of". Th

What Paul was actually saying here is: "Apostasize yourself from unrighteousness".

How do you like that? The word "apostacize" can have a GOOD meaning!

Check out the following link for synonyms for "apostacize" and look farther down at the related words. Yep, there's "renounce".

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/apostacize

• ADJUSTMENTS
    ADJUSTMENTS

I believe the last two WT studies in the 7/14 WT study articles were planned for this exact time and did not come about by happenstance... The JW CULT is preparing the rank and file for some faith altering new light to be announced fairly soon, and these scare tactics will do just the trick...

The articles are preparing the rank and file to become apostataphobic, they have the rank and file in such a frenzy, even have them questioning themselves and their own motives for being in the Borg!

With paragraphs like:

If you hear someone that has doubts or questions about the Borg avoid them like the plague, but don't judge them!!!

Or:

Even if you have your own doubts or questions keep them to yourself and ask yourself, why you are even a JW?

If after all that you decide to stay we just ask you to keep your mouth shut and LISTEN, OBEY AND BE BLESSED!!!

If cognitive dissonance hasn't kicked in by now for the rank and file I dobut it ever will...

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

leaving:

Thanks for that very interesting point. Here are other translations that, by and large, follow what you said.

The AMG Greek dictionary lists these verses with the same construction (aphistemi + apo + genitive noun): Acts 5:38; 12:10; 15:38; 19:9; 22:29; 2Co 12:8; 1 Ti 6:5. A note in another reference points out that the aorist form of aphistemi (in 2 Ti 2:19) calls for a definite break. This might be why the NWT uses "renounce," as it has a definitive character to it.

Bobcat

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Damn! I hate that I missed that WT Study!

It was our Circuit Assembly and we missed that too!

No guilt. No regret. Much better things to do.

Doc

• SAHS
    SAHS

“stuckinarut2”: “. . . saying to all witnesses "watch for bad associations in the cong" . . . Talk about paranoia and distrust amongst themselves!”

“NAVYTOWN”: “. . . that paranoid way of viewing others is still being promoted by the GB. Maybe this suspiciousness will cause more JWs to see the light and get out.”

“Quandry”: “. . . lets look with a suspicious eye at everyone around us.”

That sure sounds like authoritarian or totalitarian countries, such as North Korea, Cambodia, old Russia, WWII Germany under the Nazis, etc., where people are/were encouraged to spy on and turn in their neighbors or even their friends! Same sort of Orwellian mindset.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit