Reflections on 1 year WT Free-breaking the chains...

by MissFit 40 Replies latest jw experiences

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Congratulations Miss Fit on on one year of freedom. May every year from now on be better than the last.

Lisa

• humbled
    humbled

Watching how you've gone along I can see how there are commonalities between us as we come out from this tightly managed religious group.

I have had a little therapy but couldn't afford to continue. It is hard to sort it all out. But in general I am vastly relieved to be working my life out without the crushing load of the WT on my back.

I am glad you opened your story one year on, MissFit.

maeve

• ProfCNJ
    ProfCNJ

Thanks MsFit for sharing your experiences, particularly the shift in your understanding and perspective about your gradual liberation from programmed religious guilt and fear.

Imagine the years (22 years myself) of constant mind-conditioning, repetitive appeal to conscience to feel guilty for failing to ride the Organization's chariot, to measure up to everything the WT teaches. I realized that instead of being free, we became salves to a certain degree which do not bode well physically, mentally and psychologically.

For example, JW brothers didn't realize they regard the Organization more highly than our Lord Jesus Christ; that JW brothers have become overly dependent on the Organization in worshipping God, perhaps unintentionally forgetting that worship which Christ taught should be in spirit and in truth. And the truth is no other than Christ himself.

• smiddy
    smiddy

I think you have summed it up perfectly for many of us who have woken up to the controlling tacticts used by the jehovahs witness religion .

Depending on how long one has been subjected to their style of indoctrination , probably depends on how long one is able to break free from its influence.

And it is sites like this that are instrumental in making that transition that much easier.

smiddy

• MissFit
    MissFit

Thank you for the well wishes Lisa Rose. I have always enjoyed your posts. I have learned alot from them.

Humbled: I too have sensed a kinship with you. I have followed some of your journey and have been fascinated by your story. I have seen a shifting of your viewpoint since the first thread a I got to "meet" you on. ( the prayer thread .. concrete proof that prayers are answered. People who felt their prayers were answered were constantly asked for concrete proof). I enjoyed your posts on that thread.

Prof: this site has enabled me to look at the Organization in a different way.

I did not realize that we were being asked to substitute the Organization for jehovah and Jesus. But now I can tell that in the publications and talks they interchange God with the F&DS.

When I told my husband ( who is not a JW) That now the GB (8 men) were the ones that were in charge and were said to have the spirit direction, he said oh now JWs have 8 popes. Catholics only have one.

smiddy: I agree.This site showed me that I wasn't alone. There were so many people here that were posting my thoughts and experiences similar to mine.

Sometimes I had to check to make sure it wasn't my avatar just in case I was sleep posting.😞😉

• MissFit
    MissFit

I had lunch with my JW sister. I am so glad I found the TTAT. The difference in our outlook towards life was staggering. She is fighting some kind of mysterious illness her doctors cant figure out. She hasn't been to a meeting in a while because she was so ill. She is just now bouncing back.

I spent half of lunch time biting my tongue. Some of the statements that just trip out of her glibly just had me shaking my head and realizing that a year ago I probably would have been saying the same things.

What a difference a year makes.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

It gets to the point that listening to your JW relatives / friends talk gets to be a real pain in the ass....

Blah blah blah jehovah, blah blah kingdom, blah blah ministry, blah blah assembly, blah blah meeting, blah blah blah

• Quandry
    Quandry

Isn't it wonderful to be able to think for yourself instead of the WTS view "the research has been done for you?"

As a poster quoted (I don't know who to credit the original to) "Better to have questions that you can't answer than answers that you can't question."

• MissFit
    MissFit

Quandry: yes. It is wonderful to think for myself.

This site opened up a new world for me.

I can't describe the feeling I had when I realized for the first time the Bible Stories were not literal.

Noah's ark... I had accepted all the WT explanations without question.

When I started reading threads here about the flood, and started to do the math, I realized the

WT explanations did not make since.

I talked it over with my non JW daughter.

She verified what I was learning and gave me more facts to think about.

I was astounded. I looked at her and asked her how long had she figured this out. She said since high school. She told me she didnt tell me because she knew it would upset me.

I could not believe how gullible I was.

• MissFit
    MissFit

Hi everyone.

I am sitting here not sleeping.

I am still reflecting on this last year.

Around this time last year I was at a very dark place.

I scared myself. I was entertaining suicidal thoughts. Sure occasionally, I would think it wouldn't matter to anyone if I just disappeared one day. But then I started to seriously consider my death.

I remember feeling so bereft and hopeless. I started reaching out to my family as a way to say goodbye.

I didnt see the point of living any more. My family seemed fine without me.

I just started posting a couple of months on this site.

I was feeling so isolated but I felt a connection to many on this site.

I read of others experiencing some of the same feelings as I was.

In desperation, in the middle of my despair and fear, I reached out to this community.

I recieved such an out pouring of support and encouragement and useful advice.

I sit here tonite thinking about that time and feeling such a burst of gratitude to everyone here.

I really think you saved my life.

Thank you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit