Come on! Tell it like it is. People are LYING when they tell you, "I've read the Bible."

by Terry 68 Replies latest watchtower bible

• blondie
    blondie

*** w00 10/1 p. 12 par. 18 Bible Reading—Profitable and Pleasurable ***

Yes, Bible reading is both profitable and pleasurable. But is it enough? Christendom’s church members have been reading the Bible for centuries, “always learning and yet never able to come to an accurate knowledge of truth.” (2 Timothy 3:7)

--------------------

Yes, bible reading is not enough per the WTS.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

I've known so damned many lying-ass Jehovah's witnesses in my lifetime, I've become cynical about what anybody says when they make a personal claim.

My policy (it might sound unfair or ridiculous) is NOT TO BELIEVE a word I'm told.

Terry,

I will try to always remember the above words when reading any future posts of yours. Certainly, one cannot hold it against a person if the JW experience left them somewhat cynical in outlook!

I believe very much in letting others express their opinions and thoughts - and in the process, "cutting them a bit of slack", as the saying goes. However (and this is just me) I am very careful when it comes to questioning another person's integrity. As a consequence, I do (by my own admission) tend to be rather oversensitive when my own integrity gets called into question. My sincere apologies for having responded in that manner!

Bill.

PS: In me, you are dealing with a bookworm extraordinaire! Depending on circumstance, that can either be an asset or a curse.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The Bible is not a fraud. There are many genres of writing in the Bible. You can't go back to the first century and impose present day standards on a very different culture. Knowing the historical circumstances helps. Fraud has certain elements. I truly don't believe that Bible writers and the council that canonized the Bible were deceiving people. More and more I believe that the first readers did not take the books literally.

• Terry
    Terry

I believe very much in letting others express their opinions and thoughts - and in the process, "cutting them a bit of slack", as the saying goes. However (and this is just me) I am very careful when it comes to questioning another person's integrity.

I hear where you're coming from, Bill.

I know I'm rather annoying and I don't intend to be; I really don't. I've always had quirks.

The way I think is just not the same as NORMAL folks.

My definition of "integrity" btw is quirky too.

I see integrity as a three-fold state when what you believe, what you say and what you do exactly correspond.

All I can judge is the "say" on a Discussion group. So my cynicism kicks in on the "think" and "do" parts.

See how pedantic that is?

Instead of saying out loud "People are lying" I should probably just THINK it :)

But, rhetorically, this sort of extreme pumps up the response level, I see.

• Terry
    Terry

Blondie: “always learning and yet never able to come to an accurate knowledge of truth.”

I can't remember exactly when the Watchtower started this peculiar juxtaposition of words "accurate knowledge."

The precedent was set when they had to change their tune about "RELIGION IS A SNARE AND A RACKET."

The modifiers "True" and "False" were whipped out and grafted on so they could "become" a RELIGION and not

seem overtly hypocritical about it. That's when religion become "false religion".

2 Timothy 3:7Mounce Reverse-Interlinear New Testament (MOUNCE)

always pantote

learning manthanō

and kai

never mēdepote

being able dynamai

to come erchomai to eis

a knowledge epignōsis

(epignōsis) ἐπίγνωσις
    Definition: the coming at the knowledge of a thing, ascertainment, Rom. 3:20 ; a distance perception or impression, acknowledgment, insight, Col. 2:2

of the truth alētheia

--------------------------------------

There IS a Greek word for ACCURATE and it isn't the word in that scripture:

(epignōsis)= accurate
  • jgnat
    jgnat

“When someone shows you who they are believe them; the first time.”

Maya Angelou

• Terry
    Terry

I guess I did that with my JW friend. I believed him the 1st time.

The thing is, he wasn't lying. Which is to say: he didn't know what he was saying was wrong.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Terry you seem baffled why we care what you said well for me I think it was the last straw. I've seen people talk about 'piousneers' who lied about their hours and 'elderettes' who don't give a damn about anyone. As a regular pioneer who started doing 100 hours a month and never lied about my hours and an elder's wife who tried really hard to help people being told I lied about reading the Bible finished me off.

I read it cover to cover so as not to be a hypocrite when I knocked on doors trying to teach it. I'm not alone, many pioneers and elders/wives on this site have hinted how hard they worked. FFS why should we be ashamed of actually being genuine even if we were misguided!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

JWS are trained in the inaccurate knowledge of what the WTS. COMMERCIALLY espouses.

What better way to sell your product or yourself that getting people to go door to door and have them press the play button for

the prerecorded message designed by the WTS.

Who needs the inter-net or JW.Org when a human will do it for free !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit