Come on! Tell it like it is. People are LYING when they tell you, "I've read the Bible."

by Terry 68 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Terry
    Terry

Go ahead. Tell me.

"I've read the Bible cover to cover."

Sorry. I don't believe you.

It is damned near impossible!

Horribly boring, rambling, disconnected, and---REPETITIOUS!

I honestly think it could kill you if you read every word of it.

I'll tell you what you've read: YOU'VE READ OTHER PEOPLE'S OPINIONS about the Bible.

You've read commentaries.

You've read apologia.

You've read interpretations.

You've read theology, doctrine, hermeneutics.

You've read all sorts of eisegesis tailor-made to correspond to WHAT YOU WANT IT TO MEAN.

But, none of that is the same thing as what Martin Luther spoke about in the 16th century.

SOLA SCRIPTURA:

It was a foundational doctrinal principle of the Protestant Reformation held by the Reformers, who taught that authentication of Scripture is governed by the discernible excellence of the text as well as the personal witness of the Holy Spirit to the heart of each man.

What did C.T. Russell give to the world but his amateur opinions in the form of STUDIES in the SCRIPTURES!

Bullshit cover to cover.

Judge Rutherford gave us Rutherford's Rainbow series!

What a load of pure crap! Do Kingdom Halls still use these to teach "The Truth"?

Hell no.

ECCLESIASTES 12:12

And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.

________THERE ARE 41,000 CHRISTIAN DENOMINATIONS. WHY? Everybody reads different opinions!_____

How is it possible? How about this answer: "There is nothing demonstrably valid" inside that book!

From the website, BEHIND THE BOOKS:

How many new Christian books are there?

A few months ago an industry friend e-mailed me and asked if I knew how many new Christian books are published each year. I wasn't sure. I know that overall, in terms of total new English language books published in North America, the number has ballooned from about 55,000 a year when I started in publishing in the mid-90s to 178,000 (as of 2005) or perhaps even over 200,000 now. The growth is largely a result of print-on-demand technologies and self-publishing vehicles being much more available. And something like 70,000 new publishers have cropped up in the last few years.

I have also heard a figure of something like 8,000 or 9,000 new religion titles published each year, the vast majority of which are Christian, but I haven't been able to nail that down."

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I used to go inside a Christian book store. It only contained anabaptist books. I could have written most of them with little effort. There were no books suitable for a college or grad school course. I have read the NT and the "hotter" OT books. Leviticus always drove me crazy.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I am always amazed at just how little the average "Bible Student" (AKA JW) actually knows what's in the the Bible.

Im like "you remember the Bible don't you? It's the book you claim to be the authority on."

• Godsendconspirator
    Godsendconspirator

I remember when I first started studying I had to force myself to read those 5 chapters a day. It was easier when I had a new album that I wanted to listen to. I'd put it on and read. But the old testament pissed me off the most. I remember thinking about how every single chapter is the Isaelites being stupid or measurements. Information that was practically useless.

• runForever
    runForever

This is incredibly uninformed. I 've read the bible 4 or 5 times.

• jam
    jam

Isn't a requirement to become a Elder? It seems to me I recall

being told that, you must have read the complete Bible....

Some brothers told me they read the Bible two and three times.LOL

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

I've read the Bible cover to cover. I am NOT lying. I did it when I started waking up to TTATT. I did it because I wanted to understand for myself, not what WTBTS was telling me. And I did not use the NWT. I used a different translation, which made it much more tolerable. I rather enjoyed some of the historical accounts in Kings and Chronicles, and even Isaiah and Jeremiah in that translation. There is a world of difference in Bible reading, depending on the translation.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I heard of it being a requirement for all bethel newbies and missionaries.

Elders are probably encouraged to, but I don't think it is mandatory to qualify.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The point is most people have never read the bible completely word from word, for the reasons already stated, mostly because its a terribly dry read

and a grammatical nightmare.

You will hear people say yes I've read the bible but when queried on how much most will admit well not every word.

If memory serves me I think the WTS. encourages not to read it by itself. Gee I wonder why ?

Is it because the bible has within it captivating alluring power that so many men are driven to capture some of that power toward themselves.

When one considers that there are thousands of Christian based religions around the conclusion should be obvious.

• jam
    jam

sparrowdown: yes I was told that while serving in Central America...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit