Come on! Tell it like it is. People are LYING when they tell you, "I've read the Bible."

by Terry 68 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

I tried reading the NWT from Genesis straight through to Revelation many many times and one time I actually made it. Things got really tough when I got to Isaiah as I found all the prophets utterly arid. I never could get an iota of benefit from any of those books. Matthew to Revelation was somewhat easier. Reading from Acts onwards made me realise that I did not like the Apostle Paul very much at all. He always seemed to come across as a bully to me.

A year and a half ago I got an audio Bible read by Max Maclean and listened to him reading the entire Bible from Gen to Rev which took me 52 days. Even a fair bit of that was hard going at times and I think I did did it more out of a sense of obligation and guilt and as some kind of self-imposed penance and duty rather than a joy or pleasure.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

Genisis: Hmm, that was . . . interesting.

Exodous: Ehh.

Leviticus: Ugh.

Numbers: Soooo boring and monotenous!

Deurteronmy: Didn't I already read this passage like 7 times already?

Joshua: Genocidal Israelites! Exactly what kind of "moral" system do they think they have here?

Judges: WTF? Genocide again? How many nations can the Israilites slaughter? . . . And Jepthah did WHAT to his daughter???

Ruth: Marrying you in-laws because you have to keep property in the family? Alright, I've had enough! This has gotten rediculous.

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

I've 'listened' to it 6 times on audio but 5 times was the KJV. (I get bored at work) The NWT while having pleasent readers has horrible grammer... 'he proceeded to say'......'and God said Let light come to be...'

As for actually reading. 1 time in the NWT for bible readings over 5 years. Once in the KJV and once in the WEB for my project.

The KJV is useful for english idioms we often use that come from the bible.

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

The NWT audio version is just awful. Old men with that 1950's overly exaggeratedly formal and grandiose style that I find condescending and wearisome. Sounds pretentious and artificial to me. No one on earth speaks like that except maybe the GB when giving a talk. I downloaded the whole thing once but deleted it after listening to just one sentence.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Yeah every word, a few verses a day. Took me five years. I've also read Plato, ten Shakespeare plays, rather a lot of history, computer programming books... Bored now.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

I have read the thing cover to cover:

- Call me a liar if you like. However, if we ever meet up in person, I will smack you well and truly in the bloody mouth for having done so!

Being an avid reader, I had not too much difficulty reading it right through over the course of one summer holiday.(Hard going as it was, I have had to wade my way through harder reading matter, and for that matter, still am).

Not that the exercise ever did me one bit of good, mind you. Rather, it was something of a let down.

Bill.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

I read it completely twice and huge chunks of it several more times, so I reckon I have read it 5 times over. I did this within the last 5 years while i was waking up to TTATT and to double check and make sure of things and to give the bible every chance to prove itself.

The bible did prove itself, ... to be a complete fraud.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

How can someone prove that s/he read it? Do you give tests?

What difference does it make if one has read it? The real issue is whether one follows it.

Does one follow what the Bible teaches from cover to cover?

• Terry
    Terry

Call me a liar if you like. However, if we ever meet up in person, I will smack you well and truly in the bloody mouth for having done so!

I'm flattered!

For those who say they read the Bible (cover to cover) how many of you believe what you read?

Tell us how--after having done so--you can say it is "divine."

Right after 1975 I stopped going to meetings.

My JW wife prompted my five year old daughter to beg me to come back to the Kingdom Hall.

The only way I could do that was for our family to sit down and--WITHOUT WATCHTOWER INFLUENCE--read through the Bible.

My wife agreed.

That experience was so traumatic for me, my wife and my little kids it pretty much destroyed the entire illusion.

Within four years she became an alcoholic and I got DF'd!

Without some kind of OUTSIDE influence pretending to help you make sense of it . . . well, it is starkly bizarre reading.

The way we in the West tend to think of the radical Islamic terrorists is how I began to think of the Old Testament "faithful."

Ignorant, close-minded, absolute certainty is ugly.

I've never looked back.

• blondie
    blondie

Several times at jw parties, people were invited to write down the names of all 66 books of the bible, and in order to break a possible tie. Out of a group of 30, elders, their wives, MS, their wives, long time brothers and sisters as well, single pioneers....only 2 knew all 66 and only one in order (regular pioneer).

So if they have read the bible through how is it they did not know the names of the books, let alone the authors, how many OT (39) and NT (27). Years of the Scripture Inspired book talks down the tube.

I played one of those jw developed bible trivia board games and it was sad what people did not know that should have based on their longevity.

I had one elder say that if you read the magazines you had read the bible. My husband was the school overseer and prepared for the bible highlights every week because so many elders/MS forgot or did not show up. I researched each verse using the CD and I can tell you that many verses and groups of verses had never been used all the way back to 1950.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit