X-JWs Who are now bible Christians

by clash_city_rockers 169 Replies latest jw friends

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

Personally I find clash & hilary a bit too sarcastic for my tastes. Therefore, I pay no mind either of you. You both sound like little children arguing of whose sandbox to play in.

Clash, Paul stated that even if Christ is preached in contention he was supportive of it.

Hilary, Paul also said that if anyone, even an angel from heaven preaches another gospel then that person is anathema, or damned to the lowest hell.

Without some type of standard, Christian doctrine becomes a hodge-podge of whatever is convienent for the believer....hmmm sounds like modern evangelicalism.

Lastly, in my mind, and backed up by Dr. Robert Morey, there are only two doctrines that must be affirmed by a Christian.

Read Romans 10:9 & 10...For those with out a bible handy it says, "If you confess with your mouth Jesus as LORD, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead you shall be saved" (my paraphrase). According to Paul, the bare minimum for salvation is belief in the diety of Christ and the bodily resurrection of Him from the dead. All other beliefs are just window dressing.

Have fun and play nice

"That's me in the corner. That's me in the spotlight, losing my religion." REM

And thank God I lost my religion.

The Big Dawg

• Panda
    Panda

I have always enjoyed a good fairytale or myth so the Bible is fun to read.
    I believe in the Bible , but not in god.
    I must add that while energy exists (and at least that's a fact) god doesn't.

I was raised Catholic, went from church to church, became JW and went from door to door for 17 yrs. during which time I began attending college where I studied religion, studied the bible, studied history and anthropology and chemistry and math and all that other stuff to get a degree, went to grad school. Lived overseas and studied and worked. Found that the universe is an awesome place and that I feel no need to attribute it's or my existence to any image which another human has made up from scraps of ancient myths dressed up as supreme being(s)

I love people, my country, my family, my friends. I believe children should be loved and educated and protected from pedophiles and disease.
    Most importantly I believe that guns in holsters (like HopAlong Cassidy wore) are terrific fashion accessories.

• clash_city_rockers
    clash_city_rockers

Hey I'm an X-dub My 2 and 1/2 year sentense in the J-Dubs ended in 1991

Bob is cool and he is a gutzy guy I'm sure you'll like him

cheers,
    jr

BTW I'm a NoCal guy who lives just a few miles south east of Oakland down on 580.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Clash:
    1. Dogma
    2. Fellowship
    3. Regeneration
    4. Interpretation
    5. Evangelism

1. Dogma
    The difficulty with unbending dogma is it instantly identifiable with the Pharisee's of Jesus days.
    We were released from that, when we left the JW's.
    We came under a different yoke, a kindly one, that belongs to Christ.

2. Fellowship
    Being under the yoke with Christ as our head, we immediately become part of the body of Christ - the Universal church.
    I don't think that it is possible to equivalate that with joining a local congregation, however.
    That is a step that will no doubt be eventually taken, but as to how soon it would occur it is impossible to put a timescale on.

UnclePenn comments that it would likely be within a couple of years.
    I have to disagree with any attempt to put a timetable on it.
    For some it will be within the hour, for others it may be many years.
    Granted, the Christian is only damaging him/herself by holding off from this, but I don't believe that it can be forced into such a rigid statement.

For an example, might I point you to the example of the Apostle John, when exiled on Patmos.
    His opportunities for fellowship were likely to be greatly impeded.

This would be equally true for someone in the JW's.
    How should he know to leave, unless it is revealed to him/her?
    It was two months before that was revealed to me, and then a further four months before I was allowed to leave.
    The net result was for the best, although I was nearly climbing the walls before I finally left, as there was so little that I could conscienciously teach.

3. Regeneration
    I think I have discovered another flaw in your argument, but perhaps you could elaborate, before I jump on your case.
    In what way, and to what extent, do you believe we are transformed upon conversion?

There is something that you should really consider, that being the audience of the Apostle Paul's letters.
    He was writing to Christians, yet exhorting them to action.
    I believe that this ably demonstrates that, regardless of the regeneration, there is much work to further be accomplished in the life of a Christian.
    Part of this will undoubtedly be the transforming of the mind regarding association with other Christians.
    Why else would the writer of Hebrews remind them to not forsake gathering together, if it were such an automatic thing?

4. Interpretation
    You further accuse me of using deceptive language, before the session. On what evidence do you base that comment?
    A few words on a public forum?
    All words, written and verbal are able to be interpretted in a variety of fashions. That is one of the reason's that so many document are written precisely the way they are.
    Regardless of whether we concur 100% with another Christian's perspective, there are certain key issue that really count - i.e. faith in our Saviour Christ Jesus.

I would rather read a document that was inclusive, yet not heretical, than one that is exclusive and dogmatic.
    I am neither playing games, nor being overly humanistic. Rather, I am being pragmatic and humanitarian, in the context of scripture. I think you will find that Christ was so.

5. Evangelism
    With regards to evangelism you quoted Eph.4:12, but surely can't have missed verse 11 which shows that not all would be cut out for that work.

You accuse me of relying on "mystical pragmatist humanistic intuition" rather than studying the bible. Again you have little knowledge about me, upon which to base that judgement.
    I'm strongly refute your assertation that I am a humanist.
    I continually seek the mind of Christ on all things, through prayer and bible study.
    Nonetheless, I cannot disregard the experiential aspects of my faith.

It would appear that even after 2.5 years shackled to the borg you have little comprehension of the psychological damage it can wreak.
    Try walking a mile in someone else's shoes...

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Hillary you are so far gone that even the students at Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, CA would repudiate your thinking and rebuke you.

That's telling him! [8>]

--
    Bad times, hard times - this is what people keep saying; but let us live well, and times shall be good. We are the times: Such as we are, such are the times. - St. Augustine, 354-430

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

The Lord Jesus Christ set me free from the Watchtower Society in July 2001, and He gave me His grace and I was Born Again.

PRAISE JESUS CHRIST!

• clash_city_rockers
  • grace4u
    grace4u

Clash-

I too, am devoted to Christ. I do not follow any man, or religion, or organization, only Christ. After His faithfullness to me in my life, how can I not be? Through His spirit, only He directs me and guides me. I'm glad you posted this thread, because I was wondering if there were any bible believing Christians here!! A couple of books I'd like to recomend to anyone doubting faith in Christ or in the divinity of Christ, these two are excellent reads from an athiest who set out to disprove Christianity just a few years age:"The Case for Christ" and "The Case for Faith" both written by Lee Strobel.

Thanks to all who have given me GREAT advice on this board!!

With love to you all, grace4u

• Bona Dea
    Bona Dea

Little Toe writes:

I feel obliged to lay a command upon you: "Stop hurting my little sisters!"...Bona:
    Sorry to hear of your trials. Rom.15:33

Thank you for your understanding and kindness. An admirable and rare quality found in people (Christian or otherwise) nowadays.

Bona Dea and Plum are not your sisters in Christ if you truly hold on to the biblical doctrine of salvation as layed out by the Westminster Confession of Faith.

Bona, Andi, and Plum

Go to this website and see if you can embrace this churche's presentation of the Gospel of Christ. I can by God's grace and consider them like minded brotheren.

Clash, I would like to remind you:

Galatians 1:9

(NWT), "As we have said above, I also say again, Whoever it is that is declaring to you as good news something beyond what you accepted, let him be accursed."

Proverbs 30:5, 6

(NWT), " 5 Every saying of God is refined. He is a shield to those taking refuge in HIM. 6 Add NOTHING to his words, that he may NOT approve you, and that YOU may not have to be proved a liar."

Deuteronomy 4:2

(NWT), "You must not add to the word that I am commanding you, neither must you take away from it, so as to keep the commandments of Jehovah your God that I am commanding you."

Revelation 22:18

(NWT), "...If anyone makes addition to these things, God will ad to him the plagues that are written in this scroll"

How can you agree with this (with out crossing your fingers) and at the same be assured that Plum and Bona or even Andi (whom I think she is sadly confuesed)are your sisters in Christ. Have you ever read thier attacks on Christ and the Bible on other threads?

Clash,

I am in no way perfect. Nor will you ever hear me claiming to be so. Nor will you ever hear me, in all self-righteousness, rant and rave about how others aren't worthy to be called "sisters" or "brothers", nor will you ever hear me condemn/condone others for using their freedom and their conscience. I realize that I am imperfect and that, God alone will judge me..and you, and trust me when I say, he won't come begging for your advice, thank God!

Here is what I have written on other threads (including this one):

I AM a christian. Before and After (jwism). May 29,2002

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=28362&site=3&page=6

I think I am probably right about where you are, spiritually speaking. I have lost faith in supposed "men of God" (and that's not just within the WTBS), which has in effect bled over into my faith in the bible...and somewhat in God. I just got out of the borg about 7 mos ago, and even before then I had my doubts about the bible. I had many folks show me inconsistencies in the bible, that I tried for the longest to just ignore or to excuse by telling myself, "Well, that doesn't prove anything because God can do anything. It is beyond our human comprehension." Now, I am at the point where I do not believe the bible is infallible. I simply cannot. I have read too many contradictions, and things that just don't make sense. I believe that the bible has many stories that can be morally beneficial (but at the same time, it also has many that are brutally atrocious). But I can't let go of my belief in a higher power; a creator. I am simply not ready to do that, and I don't know if I ever will be. I consider myself a theistic agnostic. I also read a thread by someone about Deists...their beliefs sound a lot like the way I believe too. I'll see if I can find that Deist thread and post it for you. -Jul 19 2002

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=26124&site=3&page=3

I m a Deist (I believe in God, but not organized religion). Oct 14, 2002

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=38594&site=3&page=5

...I don't deny that I have "questioned" the bible. I won't deny that I am confused. I will readily admit that I don't know my head from a stump. Next month, I may be claiming to be an Atheist or a born-again...but I ask you, who are you to sit on a throne of judgement and declare me, not just unworthy of your acquaintance, but dictate to others on this forum that if they are adhering to the Westminster Confession of Faith or to "bible principles" even, that I shouldn't be worthy of their acquaintance either. Talk about kicking someone when they are down.

I know it is really easy to get on this computer and see a bunch of fonts and smilies and forget there are real people behind those words. I know you can't see my hands that are trembling as I type this, nor the tears that are streaming down my face...but I want you to know, that they are. I am a person, thank you. A person with feelings. A person who, like everyone here, is trying to find some answers. A person whose faith has been shaken and who has been knocked off of their foundation.

You have no idea the crap that I have gone through this year...so I'm going to tell you! In Dec of 2001, I was still a JW. Unbaptized, yes, but still a vehement believer in what they taught to be true. Upon finding out about their corruption, which lead to questioning their doctrine...and so forth...led me on a spiraling spiritual journey. I am scared, confused, and I feel all alone...and the last thing I need is someone like you, who thinks they have it all figured out, coming down on me with this holier-than-thou, self-righteous attitude, kicking the crap outta me when I am already low enough!!!!! I know you probably don't even care about what I am going through right now since you do not deem me worthy of your love, understanding, comfort...but I'm gonna tell you anyway. About 5 mos into this "spiritual spiral" of mine, my grandfather passed away. I remember sitting there at his funeral, crying my eyes out. I had (and still have) no idea where he is...if he's anywhere. And worse than that, I had to deal with the fact that it was very possible that this man who I loved dearly was just rotting in the ground. Do you have any idea how that feels????? Do you even care????

A month after his death, both of my grandmothers were admitted to the hospital within one week of each other. My mother's mother had suffered a stroke and my father's mother (wife of my grandfather who passed away) had a nervous breakdown. Fortunately, they are both home and doing better now, but those three months of dealing with death and dealing with the possiblity of losing another loved one was scary, to say the least.

In addition to that (as if that's not enough), let me brief you about the details of my present marriage (my husband is still attending meetings and is an unbaptized publisher). All during my spiritual crisis, dealing with the loss of a loved one and the health of my living grandmothers, I get the wonderful task of sitting back and listening to my husband attempt to drill WT nonsense into the minds of my little babies (who are 6 and 4). Now, my 6 year old says things like,"Jehovah is going to kill me if I'm not good". I have tried everything to get my husband to stop teaching our kids these things, but it is no good. I have showed him everything I have read, I have sent him here to this forum, I have prayed for him, nothing works. So out of sheer desperation, I left him. I left last month and realizing that my children (well, particularly my 4 year old) couldn't deal with the separation, I came back. And it is back to the same old stuff again.

So, there you have it. The last year of my life. I can honestly say, this has been the worst year of my life. And it is always wonderful, to come here, and be belittled and judged by a fellow human being who has never walked a mile in my shoes. I will not respond again to this thread, because it would be pointless and I have far more important things to deal with right now than some man who I don't even know, having the audacity to judge me. I will leave you with some words from your own book of beliefs. I wish you no ill will but pray that God will help you develop a milder, more comforting, more compassionate spirit.

Peace,

Bona Dea

Love:

Lev 19:18

Matt 5:43-48

Matt 22:37-39

John 15:12,13

Rom 13:9,10

1 Corinth 13:13

1 Corinth 16:14

Col 3:14

1 Pet 4:8

Comfort/Mercy:

Matt 5:7

Matt 9:13

Luke 6:36

2 Cor 1:3, 4

James 2:13

James 3:17

Judging:

Matt 7:1-4

Luke 6:37

Rom 2:1

Rom 14:13

I could attempt to sum up my feelings, my dilema, my confusion but I feel like someone has already said the things I feel and said it so much better than I would ever be able to say it.

In the wise words of Hilary_Step:

As XJW's we find ourselves moving from a world of absolutes to a realization that we now have to struggle, like mankind has had to for thousands of years with the same basic questions of human identity that actually no person has ever been able to answer satisfactorily. No longer do we live in the absolute world of right and wrong, Saint and sinner that the WTS built around us. It is very hard coming to terms with abstractions when you have lived in a world of steel and rock, philosophically speaking....

What has happened is that we have all become people again, plain and simple. Many have to re-discover their humanity, chart their own course, grapple with their own demons, rather than like children be kept in suspended hibernation emotionally, by spoon-fed philosophies.
  • gumby
    gumby

CCR,

Quote:...I figure that if true bible believing Christians pulled together for edification and fellowship on this board then the sky is the limit as far what the Lord will bless us in our efferts to bring Christ to this board.

I'll make a CORRECT guess. You guys all keep praying for the non believers. What will happen? This board will still have the same non-believers. Why?

It's already been done and it doesn't work.

BTW....what do you mean bring Christ to this board? Isn't he already here? He's everywhere....remember?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit