X-JWs Who are now bible Christians

by clash_city_rockers 169 Replies latest jw friends

• clash_city_rockers
    clash_city_rockers

Little Toe writes:

Waiting has contributed to a thread with the aforementioned title, giving sparce details of her religious background.
    I am in no position to question her profession of faith, beyond her willingness to contribute to this thread. Are you really able to confirm that she isn't a Christian?

Well I’ll let Waiting answer that with her own words

Now? NEVER will I join another church - I've concluded I don't make good religious church decisions. Otherwise, I prefer the comfort and freedom of being an agnostic - just accepting I don't know everything.

Little Toe writes:

If you want to condemn me for "compromised docrinal standards" then you'd best do two things:
    1. Find out what my standards are, because you haven't the foggiest idea what I believe in.
    2. Find out what my standards were.

Since you have given an oath to the Free Church then your doctrinal standards are supposed to be the statement of faith contained in the Westminster Standards. But as you seem to reveal that may not be the case. Lets go back to page 5 of this thread and see what you have written.
    Little makes this statement in regards to the WCF

Whilst I appreciate the Westminster Confession of Faith (also the Institutes, and Berkhoff's Systematic Theology) I hold it as a subordinate standard to the inspired word, as I imagine you do yourself.
    You will not bludgeon me with the Confession, nor any word of man.

Now when you say you “ appreciate the Westminster Confession of Faith “ now is that an affirmation that: (choose one)
    1. You do strictly subscribe to the Westminster Standards,
    2. You strongly hold to the Westminster standards but have a couple of exceptions.
    3. You Loosely Hold to the confession, but have other theological views that may conflict with the Westminster Standards.
    4. The Westminster is helpful and you do appreciate the standards but it is not your personal doctrinal standard.

My request is for Little to disclose what exactly what he holds to in relationship to the confession of the faith

Little Toe posted:

You quote Romans 8:33-34 "Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen?" and then proceed to sit in judgement.
    You judge, not only others, but also me. So, from what you know of me, do you presume to know more than the two kirk sessions that met with me earlier this year?
    (One for baptism and one for going forward to the Lord's table?)
    The church I attend is staunch, and in the heart of Presyterianism.
    Do you presume to know more than God, who called me?
    I was using decrement (you complaint was judgment) in regards of the likes of Bona, Plum, RR, just2laws and others. As far as your session goes have you disclosed any of your views that you have shared on this thread with the session. I would like to know what your session would think of some of the remarks on this thread and others by those whom you seem so eager to defend as your brothers and sisters in Christ. Would they make the same assessment as you? Second what would your elders think of your defense of these people and would they agree? From this point on I am going to forward this thread to my church (Providence Orthodox Presbyterian Chapel of Castro Valley, CA: A mission work of First Orthodox Presbyterian Church San Francisco, CA) I am going to get their feed back on this discussion.

Little Says:

Faith is, after all, a fruit of the Spirit and hence implies that the one professing faith has been born of the Spirit (1 Cor.12:3).
    Hearing the word does not always involve going to a church building, as I was convicted by reading the word in my own lounge.
    Not too much of a problem here but the point of James 1:18 is still demonstrated even in your own conversion. Yet the church is the primary means to deliver the saving message that regenerates man. The church is the only place that has the proclaimed word of God that is preaching is only found in the church. That is the church not just a building sends forth heralds that bring the gospel in Preaching in the Lord’s Day, it’s Christian education programs, it’s evangelism, it is the church that brings forth the Kerygma of God’s word through preaching primarily and other ordained means. The word can never be separated from the church for the church was born out of the word and subject to the word, just as you cannot separate a parent (word) and child (church) relationship. So when you read the word of God on your own you are whether you like it or not you are still associating yourself with God’s church whether in covenant relationship or not. For it is God’s word that created the church and it is God’s word that exclusively belongs to the church.

Little writes:

Yet you single-mindedly fail to quote Pauls words regarding the continued battle with falled flesh (Rom.7).
    I did point out that the Christian and only the Christian does have an on going battle with sin. You should go back and reread my previous post. Now as to the fact that I failed to post Romans 7 I truly apologies for that is a biblical truth that I totally rejoice in and it is a truth that all Christians should be grounded in. Romans 7 is a joyful relief from the legalism and false perfectionism of the WT. But my intention was to never to suppress a vital truth such as this for I owe much of my Christian joy to this passage and to charge that I would keep this passage on the down low is just silly and ludicrous.

For all Christian to take to heart you have been free now fight the good fight.
    Romans 7

1Do you not know, brothers--for I am speaking to men who know the law--that the law has authority over a man only as long as he lives? 2For example, by law a married woman is bound to her husband as long as he is alive, but if her husband dies, she is released from the law of marriage. 3So then, if she marries another man while her husband is still alive, she is called an adulteress. But if her husband dies, she is released from that law and is not an adulteress, even though she marries another man.
    4So, my brothers, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit to God. 5For when we were controlled by the sinful nature,[1] the sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in our bodies, so that we bore fruit for death. 6But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.

Struggling With Sin

7What shall we say, then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! Indeed I would not have known what sin was except through the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, "Do not covet."[2] 8But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of covetous desire. For apart from law, sin is dead. 9Once I was alive apart from law; but when the commandment came, sin sprang to life and I died. 10I found that the very commandment that was intended to bring life actually brought death.
    11For sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, deceived me, and through the commandment put me to death. 12So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good. 13Did that which is good, then, become death to me? By no means! But in order that sin might be recognized as sin, it produced death in me through what was good, so that through the commandment sin might become utterly sinful.
    14We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature.[3] For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. 20Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    21So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22For in my inner being I delight in God's law; 23but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. 24What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? 25Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!
    So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God's law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.

Little says,
    You then state that I psychobabble, because I disagree with your dogmatic statement that a Christian will immediately attend church. You seem to believe that the regeneration will make one immediately succumb to the mind of Christ in every aspect of life.
    He will begin this work in succumb to the mind of Christ in every aspect of life. Not perfectly though but he will begin. You have to take into account 2 Corinthians 5:16-17 you cannot deny this passage.

2 Cor 5:16-17

16So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer. 17Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!
    Little Toe goes on to say:
    Darn, I stayed in the JW's for six months. Does that mean I wasn't converted???
    No, not necessarily. You could still be converted but just disobedient. Religions like JW’s or Romanism is no place for the Christian. Those who are converted to Christ in the JW religion have a moral obligation and must leave the Watchtower immediately.

Little says:

You also seem to disagree with my restatement of your archaic faith affirmation,
    This is the same affirmation that is found in my church and other churches of like mind like the Presbyterian Church of America the Orthodox Presbyterian Church, Reformed Presbyterian Church, Reformed Church United States and probably even yours. I’m just being in line with the leadership of my church I think you should do the same. I suggest you should check out your Free Church book of order to see how “archaic” that faith affirmation really is.

Little Toe says:

The problem, as I see it, is that you don't evidence any real-world application of scripture and Theology, nor appear to grasp the key issues of modern-day evangelism. It appears that all your posts are taken out of books, as if that is the be-all and end-all.
    What do you mean when you say application of scripture and theology? Do you mean an approach of Pragmatism? Please explain. As far as “key issues of modern-day evangelism” go We have been instructed from the scriptures by the church as well as read fellow members of Christ’s church books and articles. How does one know the “key issues of modern-day evangelism? Do they know them intuitively? What’s wrong with Christian book? You are just learning from older and wiser Christians. Do you have a problem with that covenantal aspect of the church and our dependence of one another in learning and growing in the faith?

Little stated:

Whilst still a JW, more than a few years ago and before I became an Elder, a guy from the Free-Church made me stop and think.
    He asked me if I could truly be as bigoted as to think that I had all the answers and that only JW's would be judged aright?
    Anecdotal statements are not an effective means to communicate truthful and propisitional claims. just a thought.
    Little Toe said:
    You've railroaded your own thread into discussion of the role of the church in Christian life.
    This thread should really be moved to "Belief's". I suggest that you ask Simon to move it.
    There are many threads in the Friends folder that that evolve into different topics than the original. Why move this particular one? Is it because you want to suppress something? Why can you be more consistent and call for all threads that develop new topics in your eye to be moved to the appropriate Folder? Could it be that you are falling behind the eight ball in this conversation and your conscience is being convicted about capitulating to worldly standards and being called out in the matter?

Pragmatism is not the answer.

see you soon Lord willing,
    jr

This post is brought to you by books on biblical evangelism from John Piper and J.I. Packer

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Clash:
    First things first, as I stated many posts back, I feel that I am under no compulsion to answer all your questions, since you saw no need to answer mine.

Not only do you appear to be bludgeoning me and others, are you now implying a threat?
    Your comments, about refering this thread, do little to enhance your reputation as a public debater par excellance.
    Who is really falling behind the game here?

My reason for suggesting transfering this thread was to allow it to be found more easily. It fell far down the list of "Friends" topics many days ago.
    If it were in "Belief's" it would be more easily found.
    This wouldn't affect anyones bookmarks, nor its place in the "Active" list.
    I actually suggested this to Simon back in March:
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=23150&site=3

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

1. Church
    2. Conversion
    3. Affirmation of Faith
    4. Pragmatism

1. Church
    Much of the problem and misunderstanding here, I believe, is the dual use of the word "church".
    Are we talking church building including local congregation of members and adherants, or the Universal church (body of Christ)?

It becomes a natural thing for a Christian to seek out his brethren.
    My point of contention is (and always has been) that this will not always include a church building. Not all will accept the kind of congregation structure that we adhere to.

2. Conversion
    I wrote:
    "Darn, I stayed in the JW's for six months. Does that mean I wasn't converted???"
    You wrote: "No, not necessarily. You could still be converted but just disobedient. Religions like JW’s or Romanism is no place for the Christian. Those who are converted to Christ in the JW religion have a moral obligation and must leave the Watchtower immediately. "

Nice of you to condescend to agreeing that I may have been converted!
    I would suggest that a Christian will not necessarily "leave the Watchtower immediately".
    As we previously considered, when discussing the Trinity, there is a progressive enlightenment.
    Again you are being dogmatic, yet each ones path is different, as is each one's mode of conversion.
    It's not disobedience until you go against the express revelation of the Lord.

3. Affirmation of Faith
    My comments about your posted archaic affirmation of faith, were directed at the language used on this forum. I made an attempt to simplify it because as it stood, with no supporting explanation, few would agree to such direct oaths.

As for myself, I can interpret them in such a way as to find them agreeable, as I can with the WCF. I don't feel that I need to further elaborate, as my position regarding that document has been made manifestly clear.

4. Pragmatism
    I can't help but be pragmatic, rather than dogmatic.
    I can't help but use life's experience to relate my beliefs to the world about me.
    I can't help but have Christ-like compassion for others, rather than bludgeon them.
    I can't help but use my own words, instead of mimic the words of others.
    I believe that anecdotes are, by definition, a very effective means of communication.

You see, in my case it's cardial, not just cerebral.
    In my case my reliance in on the Lord, not men.

Evangelism is a call, not something that you can learn from a book.

I should also warn you that Simon might only tolerate so much of your book advertising (even if I do like some of your selection, and own a few).

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

I am an Ex-Dub, now Christian. Looking for Ex-Dubs, now Christian in the Northeast L.A./Glendale/Pasadena area.

"That's me in the corner. That's me in the spotlight, losing my religion." REM

And thank God I lost my religion.

The Big Dawg

• clash_city_rockers
    clash_city_rockers

Sup Dawg,

There are three churches in your area

1. Calvery Presbyterian (PCA) in Glendale on Glendale Blvd.
    2. Grace Community church (it is a bit legalistic and not an good representation of calvinistic dictrine though) On Rosco Blvd. in the Valley.
    3. Redeemer Presbyterian in Encino, CA it is off of Burbank BLVD.

Go to the directeries here

http://www.opc.org

http://www.gracechurch.org

http://www.faithdefenders.com

Bob Moray (of Faith Defenders) also pastors a church in your area

• hillary_step
    hillary_step
    There are three churches in your area.

Interpretation required, - "There are three churches ( well almost three...lol ) that Clash finds acceptable in your area, there are of course hundreds of others".

HS

• clash_city_rockers
    clash_city_rockers

In regards to church Little says:

Much of the problem and misunderstanding here, I believe, is the dual use of the word "church".
    Are we talking church building including local congregation of members and adherants, or the Universal church (body of Christ)?

Lets stick with the local congregation first and the universal second.

Little stated:

I would suggest that a Christian will not necessarily "leave the Watchtower immediately".
    As we previously considered, when discussing the Trinity, there is a progressive enlightenment.
    Again you are being dogmatic, yet each ones path is different, as is each one's mode of conversion.
    It's not disobedience until you go against the express revelation of the Lord.

Again you have not been listening to my post. This is what I said in page two of the thread when answering Penn
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=28362&site=3&page=2

What I was trying to communicate is that if you read me correctly is that if one REJECTS the trinity then he or she can not be counted as a Christian. When one is save he may not understand the trinity, but yet is humbled by the Lord as to be open to be taught by his word. This includes the doctrine of the trinity. This means when one is saved he will sooner or later embrace the doctrine of the trinity, but never reject it. I apologies if I didn’t make this point clear.
    What the scriptures teach is that when one is converted his heart is changed by God and he is a new person with a new identity. He has no business in the Watchtower. New converts have a moral obligation to leave the WT immediately, just as some guy who got saved and is living with his girlfriend and is not married to her has a moral obligation to leave that relationship and live a godly life. Two passages in the bible that you have to take in account for in regards to new Christians in fact all Christians for that matter.

Eph 4:25-32

25Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to his neighbor, for we are all members of one body. 26"In your anger do not sin"[4] : Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, 27and do not give the devil a foothold. 28He who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with his own hands, that he may have something to share with those in need.
    29Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. 30And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.
    If we are to walk away from falsehood and speak the truth (remember these are imperative passages) then the Watchtower is not for us. Also speaking the words of the WT is unwholesome talk.

Col. 31-17

1Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. 2Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. 3For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. 4When Christ, who is your[1] life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.
    5Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. 6Because of these, the wrath of God is coming.[2] 7You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. 8But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. 9Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices 10and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator. 11Here there is no Greek or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all.
    12Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
    15Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. 17And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Real quick vs. 1, 2 a Christian always has a Christo-centric focus in life. Verse 3 is an indicative this is who you are in Christ. This is true of you. You don’t have to earn that position that is why this is an indicative passage. 4-11 is imperative for those are already saved and secure in Christ. This is why it is an imperative for the Christian. Again with verse 12a indicative 12b on imperative. You can see the application is obvious. When one is saved you know he free from the bondage of sin, therefore free to live a godly life. Now to those who have come to Christ and are still in the WT live as God wants you to live and leave the Watchtower and other sinful lives.

Little who seems to equivocate on historic doctrinal terms posts:

My comments about your posted archaic affirmation of faith, were directed at the language used on this forum. I made an attempt to simplify it because as it stood, with no supporting explanation, few would agree to such direct oaths.
    As for myself, I can interpret them in such a way as to find them agreeable, as I can with the WCF. I don't feel that I need to further elaborate, as my position regarding that document has been made manifestly clear.
    This is the same silliness that went behind all the liberalism that destroyed the main line church. Equivocating on the confession as to mean something other than what it means. Go do a historic survey on the Auburn Affirmation of 1923 in the Presbyterian Church U.S. and they (the liberals who denied orthodox reformed doctrine in favor for a more humanistic man centered approach) played the same games as you do. When I’m talking about the doctrines of the Westminster confession I mean them as the authors (puritan Westminster divines) meant them. No reinterpretation allowed here. Does the session know of such deceptive language that you use in regards to your stance on the Confession?

Little Toe says:

I can't help but be pragmatic, rather than dogmatic…. You see, in my case it's cardial, not just cerebral.
    In my case my reliance in on the Lord, not men.
    Evangelism is a call, not something that you can learn from a book.
    You have little regard for the regulative principle for SCRIPURE NOT PRAGMATISM is the guide for evangelism. Contrary to your mystical intuitive claim, evangelism is something you can learn from a book. Primarily the bible and the book of Acts and other books in the bible. You are also instructed on evangelism by others in the church and if they use means of God gifted teachers who write books then so be it. All this is in the context of the church described in Eph 4.
    Eph. 4:12
    12to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up

Little to trust the Lord as you say you do means to abandon your mystical pragmatist humanistic intuition and study the bible
    Ps 19: 7-8
    7The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul;
    The testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple;
    8The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart;
    The commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes;
    blessings,
    jr
  • clash_city_rockers
    clash_city_rockers

Hillary you are so far gone that even the students at Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, CA would repudiate your thinking and rebuke you. You are definatly not in the mainstream nor are you even in the left but the redical liberal left.

Dawg, pay Hillary no mind he is just a constant nay sayer against bible believing christians and sound orthodox bible beliving doctrine.

peace,
    jr

• hillary_step
    hillary_step
    Dawg, pay Hillary no mind he is just a constant nay sayer against bible believing christians and sound orthodox bible beliving doctrine.

Interpretation required : "Dawg, pay Hillary no mind he thinks that I am a dogmatic, half-educated but very cuddly crack-pot, who makes the common mistake of elevating doctrine above Christian love"....lol

Best to you Clash, you know I love you really - HS

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

Tried Glendale Pres. Good but dry in worship.

Grace Community. I prefer a more Calvinistic bent on my teaching. I disliked his book The Gospel According to Jesus.

Encino is too far from me.

Going to Dr. Bob's church Sunday. I attended his monday night classes in Orange Co.

Actually I'm looking for ex-Dubs to chat with, make friendship etc. in the Glendale/Pasadena/Northeast L.A> area:)

"That's me in the corner. That's me in the spotlight, losing my religion." REM

And thank God I lost my religion.

The Big Dawg

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit