Formal Introduction - Hi!!!

by Gustv Cintrn 32 Replies latest jw friends

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

the religion will need to change tack and become just a religion, not a doomsday cult.

And yet, JW is a cult, not a religion.

As an ordinary religion they cannot attract those who JW always appealed to - the disenfranchised whose only hope was an inside track with God. Without the cult-y aspects - d-t-d, blood, apocalypse, anti-holidays, apolitical, anti-education - then why be a JW? Why not just be a Protestant and be done with it? That has always been the danger of JWs becoming just a mainstream, vanilla religion. What would be the point?

Without their counter-culture persona, what are they? The most incredibly boring people on earth.

• kaik
    kaik

WT is cult and there is nothing to change it. Borg can from time to time relax attitudes to only harden them later. I remember these double talks in the 1990's when they say that with constant work and no fun, mind go crazy. This was word that my CO said in 1992. Whatever WT had to say today, it will be irrelevant in future as the light changes and so are doctrines. 1914 is moving into distant history and Borg will made out new year to base their false prophecy to lure younger suckers.

• Gustv Cintrn
    Gustv Cintrn

JWs today are nothing like the Org of the 70s and previous years. A nice moral compass and great for wholesome social interaction; not ALL good, but overall good, and that is just swell for many of us 'modern' insiders.

GC

• Heaven
    Heaven

Any organization that forbids its members from taking life saving medical treatments is a cult.

• jgnat
    jgnat

So how's it going with your field service hours? Do you feel comfortable converting others to your beliefs? How about reforming the shunning doctrine, cutting off those who leave from everyone, including parents and children?

• Ignoranceisbliss
    Ignoranceisbliss

It seems that the Borg can be ok if everything goes smoothly. Can be good friends and social network. If someone in your family needs blood or gets dfed then it's awful. That's a big risk to take for anyone with kids. I agree with Paul. I think that they are going to have to become more main stream in the future.

Of course it's not the "truth". But neither is any other religion either.

• Monsieur
    Monsieur

Hello Gustv,

Same 'like minded' folks here. The org does provide plenty of friends and opportunities for social events. a circuit overseer once said at a meeting that the 'teaching provided at the meetings is always all the same'. It is the relationships that must be kept strong he reasoned.

In other words, keep the friendships and relationships you've developed, but dont be too overly concerned with doctrines and teachings. These ARE going to continue to change, and as best as we can tell, there is no imminent 'end' (not how the WT teaches it least).

Religion has its place, and so does the WT. The issues with blood, education, heaven and so forth ARE going to change too in the future. Religion, including this one, must evolve if it wants to survivie.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

What I mean by 'like-minded JWs' are the ones that treat the Org as a whole with respect, definitely, but with a few reservations; like a food buffet of sorts, where one may enjoy most dishes but not every single one individually.

Ah............religion ala carte.

That's what my wife claims she has done for years.

Take what you like and leave the rest.

Yep, many are obviously "taking" the social friendships and the "community" of the Cong and leaving behind all the BS doctrine.

Doc

• fiddler
    fiddler

I suspect that my JW daughter feels somewhat the way you do and probably doesn't take everything the GB says as absolute. However, she rabidly sticks to the shunning of her family. I don't care if she wants to stay a JW for her friends. I just want my daughter to call me up every once and awhile and talk to me, bring my grandson over for just a half hour even to go to the park down the street or get an ice cream cone....little things that are denied solely because I'm labeled an apostate.

How do you deal with the advise to treat disfellowshipped ones? Do you talk to those who have moved on and don't believe anymore? Do you shun family members?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Gustv Cintrn - "I will continue to shun child molesters even when they get reinstated!"

Interesting, considering they rarely get disfellowshipped in the first place.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit