A new member

by LP97 36 Replies latest jw friends

• LP97
    LP97

Greetings all. I'm a 17 year old from Scotland. Can I just say this site is absolutely brilliant. Finally found people with open minds and free thought that doesn't just consist of "well the WT told me this so it must be right".

My story is that I'm just like any other child of a JW...brought up into a life of indoctrination where "the world's" thinking is automatically wrong.
    That is until I was 14 - a light turned on in my head. I started questioning what I had been taught. It started off with doubting creationism and that the scriptures are truly inspired, but over the last few years, I've found myself realising that there is even deeper issues...when I heard about "the dangers of independent thinking" during a talk/item I then realised this whole thing was a sham.

I've recently found this site and other good ones like jwfacts that expose this horrible, money-sucking cult for what it is - a facade designed to line the pockets of the GB through the wishful thinking that Armageddon will soon come and then everything will be OK. I'm glad I didn't fall for it.

As for my situation itself, I've discussed my doubts a number of times with my parents - responses usually consist of bad logic or "I'll give you some publications on the issue that is sure to change your mind". I can remember the very first sentence my dad said the first time I talked to him was "You can't leave, you're not 18". Well, I almost am now. And when my birthday rolls around in May, I can't wait to stick my finger up at this corrupt organisation and leave it all behind for a better life.

Thankfully, my parents are not hardcore, hard-line JWs who insist that you must pioneer rather than getting higher education as it's the last days and all that. I've been open with my parents that I want to go to university and thankfully they have been receptive to this idea - so my concentration is simply on my schoolwork so that I am able to go to Glasgow University, a very prestigious university. I'll be able to work with computers like I've always wanted to rather than cleaning windows and pioneering. I'm thankful my parents have given me that, at least.

I'm looking forward to reading and contributing to this site more - we need more people to wake up from this sham!

• jam
    jam

Young man, You will be OK. For such a young age you are on

the ball. Great your parents are not hardcore.

Welcome young lad......

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Don't let the Cathcart mafia get you.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Congrats on waking up so young. I wish I'd been able to do that myself...probably would've if I hadn't met my wife.

Are you baptized? Hopefully not, since it'll make things a ton easier for you and your parents. It makes me so happy knowing that yet another person has saved themselves from this cult! Thanks for sharing your story!

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

A few things.

1) Welcome. You seem very mature for your age.

2) Glad your parents don't seem like the shunning kind. Give them a break, they probably are raising you the only way they know how. if you treat them kindly and with respect, you may even win them over sometime.

3) I've been to Scotland and in particular Glasgow. I love it.

4) Nothing wrong with washing windows if you do it well, with pride and dignity. So don't beat up on the janitors and window washers. I made about 45K a year one time part time cleaning windows when i was younger. But I'm glad you get to pursue your secular carreer with your prents help.

Good on ya.

• never a jw
    never a jw

Welcome,

Great to hear from young people like you leaving the WT. The world needs your talent to be put to good use. Let the old and hopelessly gullible find refuge in a fantasy. The rest of us have science, technology and real world challenges to deal with, while the religious leeches take a free ride. They condemn us, but promptly take advantage of the rights, protections and benefits of the worldly system. Hypocrites!!

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Welcome, you got it all figured out. Be kind to your parents though, they had good motives but were manipulated into a cult. Not everyone has the critical thinking skills to see through the BS, as you did. Maybe you can help them out, maybe not, but they at least are letting you go to university, so that is something. They probably know you won't stay in but have to save face in the congregation by making you go until you are 18.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Welcome LP97....Keep posting

• LP97
    LP97

Thanks for the replies everyone.

OneEyedJoe, I am not baptized, not even a unbaptized publisher in fact, which is a very good thing for when I do leave!

problemaddict, I'm trying to appreciate my parents for what they are - they are very reasonable JWs compared to other parents I have seen. The amount of "unwholesome" entertainment I've been allowed to watch/play would probably shock a lot of JW kids! I also have no issue with window washers/janitors - just using as it as an example as it's often a job of pioneers who left school without pursuing any further education. I don't want to go into my old age regretting the fact I never used my talents to the full and instead pursued a career I didn't want so I could preach lies and mislead people.

LisaRose, I think they are trying to save face too - our discussions never ended properly, so while I may be hiding what I truly feel for now I think they know in the back of their mind that when the time comes, I won't decide to be a part of their cult.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Welcome LP97, I'm glad that your parents can still think for themselves.

Have you read information from cult-exit counselors like Steve Hassan's books (i.e., "Combatting Cult Mind Control", "Releasing the Bonds: Empowering People to Think for Themselves", and (his latest book) "Freedom of Mind: Helping Loved Ones Leave Controlling People, Cults and Beliefs"), visited his website www.freedomofmind.com, and/or watch his FREE videos on his website? Learning about Steve Hassan's BITE model and his methods to help people to critically think for themselves, may help you to communicate better with your parents.

Instead of discussing your doubts with your parents, have you tried to ask them simple questions when they say thought-stopping platitudes and attempt to justify their opinions using something they learned from the WTBTS? It is better to help them to critically think for themselves rather than do the thinking for them. Have you tried getting your parents involved in some time-consuming, non-WTBTS hobby or activity that they love and would help them to meet more non-JWs?

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit