Telephone Conversations Today with 2 Elders Re: Shunning - Or Not?

by abbasgreta 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• abbasgreta
    abbasgreta

My alcoholic and aged JW mother is now extremely ill and is being cared for in every respect by my non-jw brother. 3 sisters visited him yesterday and were adamant

that I (disassociated and shunned by her for nearly 3 years) was able to 'visit her any time' and that ' there was nothing to stop me seeing her' as long as I

didn't discuss spiritual things with her. I told him this had to be wilful deceit on their behalfs to a. put the org in a good light (they were witnessing to him) and

b. to put me in a bad light, implying I was CHOOSING not to help. I decided to call an elder to get the low-down on this situation as my brother is

really struggling to cope.

I asked him if he would be 'willing to talk to me about my mother's frail condition' and he replied, "If I need to and can't avoid it". (Why, thank you.)

He maintained the three sisters WERE wrong, confirmed a comment of mine about not even e-mailing disfellowshipped family and said this was still the society's position

regarding me. THEN came a bombshell. "However, if your mother is suffering in her care, OUT OF HUMANITARIAN GROUNDS, you would be able to take her to

your home and care for her". I replied, "So when the congregation for whatever reason does not/cannot help with her care, it's suddenly OK for me, a disassociated person and shunned by

everyone including her to then have her come live with me?" He said' "This is a dire family circumstance". I replied, "This is nothing but double standards and hypocrisy".

I believe the comment didn't register with him and we finished the conversation sort of amicably.

Then I got a phone call from the former PO. Obviously this first elder had hot-wired him that I had phoned.

I am still reeling from the things he said. I will try and condense the inconsistencies in his argument and downright cruel comments.

" If she is willing, you can go over, after all THIS IS A PRIVATE FAMILY MATTER". What can you say to such hypocrisy, in all honesty?

" HOW WOULD YOU FEEL IF YOU DIDN'T VISIT YOUR MOTHER AND SHE DIED?" I was speechless, I was so outraged. The total irrationality of this remark!

" The treatment of disfellowshipped ones is black and white". I replied, "Except when the congregation wants to pass the 'care' buck it would seem, then it is deemed

suddenly perfectly acceptable for me to spend 24 hours a day looking after her. Sounds like double standards and hypocrisy to me". (Glad I got it in again!)

I finished by saying if my mum desires me to come over and waives her shunning of me (albeit temporarily), none of this organisation spiel would matter to me anyway and I would get in my

car NOW to go and help her and that if my fellow-non-jw brother, independent of my mother's needs, required my assistance, nothing and no-one would prevent me from going to her house

and helping him.

He said that 'was fine'.

I cannot think of a way to summarise these two conversations, honestly. Still floored.

• sir82
    sir82

What a piece of work.

"Streams of water in a waterless region"? Not so much.

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Your outrage is totally understandable - this great principled stance of shunning is actually totally flexible at the whim of the elders. The most outrageous things is that he doesn't see the hypocrisy of his stance.

• bigmac
    bigmac

a bit like my situation.

my jw dad used to be an elder--but has never shunned me---( i resigned 40+ years ago )

he is now 93--and in a care home. he now gets NO visits from any jw's--the last one was a frail elderly sister he had known from 40 years ago. but she has now died.

NO elders go near him. my jw daughter has NEVER visited him--yet lives half a mile away.

i visit him every other day.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

let's see,

a. no blood transfusion, even in a dire medical situation. Considered and automatic DA "choice" of the person.

b. no association with a DA/DF person UNLESS in a dire medical situation, then it's ok, and no automatic DA "choice" of the person.

The absurdity of hipocracy and obvious self serving rules of the WT that escapes many members of the JW astounds me.

• sparky1
    sparky1

Show them who is a better Christian or loving Humanist and do what you know to be the right thing. Do you really care about their stupid rules anyway? Real principled love is never constrained by rules and regulations.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

How would you feel if she died and you didn't go to see her? Probably a lot worse than she'd feel if you died while she was still shunning you.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Just wow. Feel the love from that group! So sorry your family has to go through this crap.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

This religion really sucks, their ability to turn off their brains and to shun family as if they never exististed is mind blowing.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

abbasgreta - "I replied, 'This is nothing but double standards and hypocrisy'. I believe the comment didn't register with him and we finished the conversation sort of amicably."

Maybe he privately agreed with you. He wouldn't be the first.

x

Double standards and hypocrisy are pretty much inevitable when you keep making more and more rules trying to cover every conceivable situation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit