Telephone Conversations Today with 2 Elders Re: Shunning - Or Not?

by abbasgreta 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• naazira
    naazira

Elders are always trying to lighten the load off of the congregation, by dropping those physically and mentally "weak".

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

I am going through this myself...and I do have to say, the double standard is mind blowing! Not one of my JW relatives nor my mother's JW friends or fellow JW's would even acknowledge my presence in the past, but now that Mom needs care, they fall all over themselves to pass the financial and care burden to me. All of a sudden, I am getting phone calls and warm, friendly greetings when I see to her needs, and one of them comes by for a brief visit it's all smiles. I would not shrug my responsibility to my mother, and to her credit, she never shunned me...but I am floored at the abrupt 180 these "friends" do when they see an opportunity to shift any congregational responsibility to a "filthy DF'ed one"...hypocrisy at its finest!

• Blackbird Fly
    Blackbird Fly

its SUCH a cult.

• abbasgreta
    abbasgreta

Update: Spoke to my mother on the phone and asked whether she was willing to 'waive' the shunning so I could help. She was very moved and agreed.

I was there within 30 minutes. She is weak and very thin from not eating properly, started to sob, stood up as best she could, took me in her arms and kept saying

'Oh my daughter'. It is obvious that the forced separation from me and her two grandchildren is that what is actually killing her.

I spent 8 hours with her, she actually said she cannot be hardhearted and (her illness may be a convenient stepping stone for her) our relationship

is completely back on track! She ate a couple of meals with me, we chatted and reminisced - my brother could not believe the difference in her.

I'm going back for the day on Friday, taking my daughters with me, and hubby is fixing her tv/freeview (needs new cable - so she can get German

programmes). I gently mentioned little snippets about the wt - I really fought against saying too much - that I had moved on faith-wise etc

and everything stayed calm and, well, loving. Let her illness be an excuse - she doesn't care, I don't care. She has her family back and I have my

mum back. So up-yours watchtower! (Couldn't help that.)

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

abbas-How very moving! I'm so glad you have you mum back and that your family is reunited again. Wonderful news!

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I have read experiences of disfellowshiped ones who the first time they found out that a close love one had died was when they read about it in the paper. So the elder really doesn't understand his own BS when he talks about someone who never saw a dieing family member.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit