How do you think we'll be remembered?

by rebel8 19 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel8
    rebel8

Some day far in the future, will we be looked upon as suffragettes who abolished cults with tenacity, courage and outspokenness?

Will future generations shudder at the backwardness of cultures that permitted cults to flourish, and not comprehend how this could have happened?

Will they be grateful for being spared death and suffering at the hands of cults because of what we are doing to expose them and reduce their growth?

Will we be forgotten entirely, having made a huge dent in the reduction of cults?

Or will things be the same as they are today?

• Strangelove
    Strangelove

Man, I've given this a lot of thought. Problem being, no one living now can accuretly say for sure.

Cliche to say, "Only Time will Tell."

If I were to guess, with some mild optimissm, and some evidence, I think, Considering how new JDub's are in the landscape of Religon, they will be the ones to be forgotten. A large number already frown upon them, Us, The Medical and Science Comunitys. (A Majority, not the entire Community) For their denial of Blood, Evolution and Critical Thinking. I wonder if this will make Apostates a mere footnote though. Like when you read about JDubs in a future text book, they will also mention the vocal protests to them.

If there is any fairness in the Universe, any at all, Logic, Then I think Apostates will be looked back upon in a positive light. Perhaps likened to Witch Burnings. Still, I often forget how little impact on the grand scheme of things JW's have had. Oh, don't get me wrong, they've destroyed many on a huge scale in such crude ways. But anyone not associated with the Organization has so little info into what they are. And honestly, had I not been raised in it, who would want to, like really want to study them from an outsiders perspective. It's an amazingly boring, backward's religon. I think it'll be studied in some University a thosand years from now on how not to make a religon.

Bottom Line, *Shrugs* Can they blame us for being so vocal? (Yes, but I hope they don't)

• Fernando
    Fernando

Probably the Type-1 civilisation that will develop in the next 100 years according to Physicists will be too enlightened to be as indifferent as we are to the suffering, challenges, dangers and sacrifices faced by persons such as Martin Luther (1517) in delivering and securing the many freedoms we today take for granted.

• a watcher
    a watcher

Those who oppose Jehovah, if they are remembered at all, will be remembered with disgust.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I really don't know,but these groups,Witnesses included,are insignificant in the grand scheme of things. So,maybe a paragraph in a textbook on 20th Century sects and religions.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Will future generations shudder at the backwardness of cultures that permitted cults to flourish, and not comprehend how this could have happened?

Historians are trained to set events in their historical context and taught to refrain from seeing them though contemporary eyes. Russell was born in 1852 and seven years later Darwin published Origin of Species. Karl Marx was publishing his works at the same time. It was the end of the industrial revolution and as the world became more secularised and industrialised those who were afraid of change rushed headlong into the new religions and cults.

In the last 150 years or so we have seen the space race, the development of weapons of mass destruction, huge steps forward in technology and medicine and the world shrinking because of ICT and air travel.

Cults may be seen in the future as the backlash because of our getting ahead of ourselves in knowledge and causing pollution, nuclear waste, global warming, depletion of fossil fuels and destroying the ozone layer. When we are afraid we rush to primitive beliefs for safety.

Will we be remembered? We might be a line in the paragraph about the people who left and were shunned by the cults. What the history books won't say is that those people went off and made a life for themselves, with autonomy and ethical living outside of a structured religion. Perhaps a tutor will look up at her students and say, after growing up in a cult what brave souls they were!

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

History books usually don't make that much effort to convey just how much suffering and discomfort people lived with in ancient times, so likewise it will probably gloss over today's cults. This era will be judged harshly for other things, but probably not that.

• naazira
    naazira

Maybe someone will make a book out of all of our forum posts and experiences. It will be in the archives for generations to come. Each generation will have rebel free thinkers, and they will stumble upon their like minded predecessors.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Jehovah's Witnesses do nothing memorable. It is a fringe religion. Altho i object to the high control, other cults are sexier. Jim Jones will receive mention. Charles Manson will be remembered. The Witnesses will only be recalled as a dinky religion. Pope Francis will get all the press. There are few history books now concerning the Witnesses.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

A Watcher, I hope you are including the GB in your holier than thou statement. If not, then they are not opposing Big J, YOU ARE. So which is it?

1) GB oppose Jehobo and you are justified in ignoring their specific council to visit non-JW sites.

2) They are not opposing Jeehoober, but you are, making your comment extremely hypocritical and ignorant.

I eagerly await your well rehearsed response. ( notice I did not say "answer")

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit