You ever notice how personalities change when CO comes around?

by dugout 31 Replies latest jw friends

• NoMoreHustle
    NoMoreHustle

I used to be offnded when they didn't choose me on Saturday service. Now I don't give a rats ass! I have been in for 20 years now. So at about 2 visits per year that puts it at about 40 something visits. I can count on 1 hand how many times I worked with him. I was not a "popular or spiritual minded brother" People would be falling alll-over themselves to impress

?'s like: Who is gonna volunteer for lunch?

Who's bible study are they gonna go on?

Who is giving student talks during visit?

NOW I SAY WHO THE HELL CARES!!

• A.proclaimer
    A.proclaimer

My old congregation long ago started to suffer on Sunday afternoon field service. Hardly anyone came, maybe 3, 5 people in the back room, usually the family of the brother incharge of taking the group out. When the CO came around, that room was packed like never before. The door would even be left open. Once he left it was back to normal.

• jhine
    jhine

As an outsider I noticed a different kind of hypocracy . Most JWs told me that there is no one who is "in charge " in the sense of a vicar or bishop in other faiths , everyone is equal . However having got to know some JWs on a slightly more personal basis and hearing them talk about CO visits it struck me how much reverence these people get . JWs falling over themselves to put them up in their houses and give them specially planned meals , not the fish fingers that would perhaps normally be eaten on a Wed for example .

One lady I know has a husband who is no longer a JW and who smokes and drinks a fair bit . He is , it seems, a good cook but she would not have a CO at her house for a meal because the CO would see her husband smoking and I presume would be offended and she would feel embarrassed . So she feels ashamed of her hubby in the company of a CO . Why ? her day to day JW companions know him well and go her house and he will greet them and make cups of tea etc and that is fine , so why does she feel the need to hide him away from the CO if he is just like all the other JWs ?

It seems to me that these COs actually get more reverence than the Pope .

Jan

• losingit
    losingit

You're right jhine it's all bs that all jws are equal. I remember hearing that too while I was studying but the truth revealed itself after I got baptized. There were some COs that I liked but honestly there were more that irked me.

Interesting story proclaimer. I think Id be PISSED if I were that family. I would loudly complain, no doubt about it! Funny, I think I was always an apostate-- an opposer to the bs in the cong.

• Daisychaindream
    Daisychaindream

In ours they always used t give the up and coming brothers the talks. It was weeks later we'd get the announcemenet they'd been made a mini servant or given a new assignment. How transparent

one COW really was, she gossied about my relationship with a brother when i confided in her i couldn't see marrying him (I wanted to shop around before I bought of course, I didn't tell her that) and she told his parents I wasn't good association. Joke.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

On a typical Saturday, there might be 30 or 40 people out in service.

Wow, what a "spiritual" congregation. In my cong Saturdays if you add all the groups up are maybe 20-25. CO forget it, as others aleady posted it goes way up. Bunch of kiss asses and its only going to get worse now that the CO has even more power.

• Ding
    Ding

In a legalistic system, it's all about appearances...

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

That's how I remember it. Constant reminders from the podium of the CO's visit like we were all children, the house with rubbish strewn all over the floor, and the stern parent is on the way home. I started to tune it out. What was this man going to do to me? I was already giving them a good portion of my hours every week. If he wanted more then he's an ungrateful little shit.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Definitely.

They put less sand in the Vaseline during that week and everyone appears happier.

Rub a Dub

• SAHS
    SAHS

“losingit”: “I remember hearing that too while I was studying but the truth revealed itself after I got baptized.”

Once people actually take that Watchtower plunge, then they begin to learn the real “truth,” with all its petty idiosyncrasies and dogmatic ridiculousness – which obviously really does come to the fore during the CO’s visit. And of course more and more people end up learning the real truth about the “truth,” but unfortunately for many it’s then too late – they’re already stuck, and their family is held hostage.

Yes, indeed, truth – the real truth – reveals itself after you get baptized into that “spirit-directed [corporate] organization.” Too bad everyone doesn’t get the opportunity to check out all the hidden facts of that “truth,” including the real hierarchical, pope-like structure which basically mirrors that of the Roman Catholic Church, before they take that plunge!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit