The Time Is Coming For Progressive Governments To Make Laws Against Oppressive Cults To Protect It's Citizens, Making Lawsuits More Plentiful Against Them

by frankiespeakin 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Similar issues are raised when a state bar decides to make all admitted lawyers perform x number of hours of public interest law. It sounded like a good idea to me, esp. when you work with low-income people. The prof asked us if we really wanted ultra conservative lawyers to take time off from making money to advocate for their wacko causes. No, they don't need any requirement. Columbia Law made every new law student work for one years after graduation representing poor people.

I doubt if Nixon was the first to use the tax code to punish detractors. Some Obama appointees were doing the same. Taxpayers could use a break. There would have to be no personal judgments in revoking tax exempt status. I wonder if citizens argued against tax exempt status for churches when the issue first arose. One thing that is important to remember is that churches were the only deliverer of social services until FDR's New Deal.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Band - Do you think requiring financial transparency would meet Constitutional muster? I would like to think so, but I don't know all the nuances of the 1st Amendment. I don't think it would be unduly burdensome to require non-profits (including, but not limited to churches) to publish their financial statements, and if gross receipts are above a certain amount the statements would have to be audited. At least people would have a better understanding of where their money is going.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

What about the double handed coercion envovled in the Watchtower's robbing all the congregations of their bank accounts by a strong arm tactic passing a governing Body inspired resolution to hand over the loot or else? Sure they have crossed the line in this area. Should not confidential letters be so incriminating in a court of law? Drumming in the minds of all Jehovah witnesses to listen and obey the Governing Body and be obediant with out questioning should be the damming evidence.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit