Why Do Witnesses Promote A Unhealthy Lifestyle, My COBE weighs 340lbs (5ft 7in).

by BucketShopBill 58 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Too much spiritual food.

Rub a Dub

• BucketShopBill
    BucketShopBill

Guess who's been telling lies about BucketShopBill? My Fat COBE is spreading his lies again, that Fat Fhuk won't keep his mouth shut! I am starting to think he's lost his mind, why bug me if I am avoiding him?

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

He knows you are on to him and is making a preemptive strike. That would be my guess.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

My weight has been ballooning since i was baptised. Since we got away from the jw I'm improving a little at a time.

They can't think of anything to do together EXCEPT eat. Once time my idea for a get together was shouted down and ridiculed no end: To meet AFTER supper early one evening and read some of our favorite authors aloud to each other, taking turns. Like Mark Twain and Dave Barry, and laugh and have a good time.

Oh HELL no, get together and read books for fun??? Boy was i stupid!

Marina

• dynamiterose77
    dynamiterose77

I had a complicated relationship with food myself... opposite of over eatting. It's complicated because I know it didn't stem from one thing. My mom grew up exceedingly poor, and though she didn't realize it I think that when we asked for a snack and she'd always say "Those are for lunches" or "Thats dinner" "I was saving that"... kind of made food off limits. At the same time she had body image issues and was always dieting (not eating) so... for a long time it was just what I saw. Then somewhere along the line it became a way to attain a type of perfection... I was convinced that god hated me because I did everything wrong, even though everything I was doing wrong was out of my control... at least I could have food under control. I somewhat remember wondering if I could survive on water and raw veggies like shadrach meshach and abednego... Then as time went on, not eating became my reaction to any stress.

Even after I left... when things got bad with my ex I stopped eating... and started adding drinking alone into the mix.

All of that nonsense, I'm pretty sure, wrecked my system... I have a hard time losing weight now that I actually have to.

Anyway... the JW stuff definitely played a part in my depression/stress and that figured into my eating habits for sure.

I also had a huge sad moment when someone in the thread mentioned illness and pioneers... I knew several that died of cancer... One of them, like was stated, wouldn't slow down and go to the doctor even though she was clearly sick. Instead she started drinking mushroom tea when her hair started falling out and she swore by it. She was diagnosed with bone cancer, finally, and died only a few days later. Several others wouldn't go have things checked until it was too late too.

With mental illness, I think it is true that many JWs just ignore it, which causes things to go rampant. Depression particularly... "What do you mean you're sad? PARADISE!!!! BIBLE!!!"

No... sorry... I'm sad because I'm sad. It is a valid emotion. Making me feel bad about it just gives me more issues.

• Justnowout
    Justnowout

An interesting question. To be fair, anything said is purly anictodial unless someone has weighed a sizable sample of congregations and compared the mean result to similar cross sections of the surrounding areas....

but yes i think being overweight is a dubbie problem. The question though is do they "encourage it"..... ?

the short answer is No. The long answer yes.

There is nothing in print that says its ok to be fat. In fact there are referances that encourage one to respect tge life god has given blah blah blah....

But the long answer yes part, imho, is what has already been said here, that the lifestyle the org promotes most definatly encourages obesiety and i certainly see plenty of it. The constant hustle, the stress, the lack of time too actually take care of onesself in the face of the kingdoms interests..... And yes definatly the concept that the new world will fix it all so screw it and eat yourself happy.

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

I like this thread. It gives me hope. Someday the WS and the elders will say :Do this..// and the rest will say: NOOOO

Somedays they will stand up and if all they see are old fools so be it... let them suffer in the fight...@

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Leaving aside the specific JW lifestyle, there is a correlation between lack of education and obesity....

• dynamiterose77
    dynamiterose77

This is true. There does tend to be a lack of education among JWs. Low income and depression as well...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit