pros and cons of anti depessants?

by Crazyguy 63 Replies latest jw friends

• Fernando
    Fernando

cchr.org is considered by some to be a front for Scientology.

From http://www.szasz.com/enemies.html :

The following statement is intended as response to requests for clarification regarding Dr. Szasz's co-founding of the Citizens Commission for Human Rights (CCHR). Thomas Szasz is not now nor has he ever been a Scientologist or a member of the Church of Scientology.

Dr. Szasz co-founded CCHR in the same spirit as he had co-founded -- with sociologist Erving Goffman and law professor George Alexander -- The American Association for the Abolition for Involuntary Mental Hospitalization (AAAIMH; see http://www.szasz.com/abolitionist.html)

Scientologists have joined Szasz's battle against institutional psychiatry. Dr. Szasz welcomes the support of Jews, Christians, Muslims, and any other religious or atheist group committed to the struggle against the Therapeutic State. Sharing this battle does not mean that Dr. Szasz supports the unrelated principles and causes of any religious or non-religious organization. This is explicit and implicit in Dr. Szasz's work. Everyone and anyone is welcome to join in the struggle for individual liberty and personal responsibility -- especially as these values are threatened by psychiatric ideas and interventions.

Jeffrey A. Schaler, Ph.D.
    Owner and producer of www.szasz.com
    [email protected]
    February 11, 2003

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I am surprised that Dr. Szaz is still alive. When I was a college student, I heard about his work and positions from an ACLU lawyers. It moved me to read some of his works. I was not persuaded by Dr. Szaz. On the other hand, the potential for abuse in involuntary treatment is enormous. The Soviet Union was a great example. My senior thesis was related to this work. We need people like Szaz in the system. I've seen too many dangerously ill mental patients on tghe street with no community supports. Doctors get caught up in their agenda. Perhaps a good tentative ground is someplace in the middle. The threat to basic civil rights is so grave that tension must always exist.

There is a lot of middle ground between no treatment and locking someone up with less rights than if they were convicted.

It has been strange lately reading about the subject after so many years.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Hey Band on the Run!

I guess the website makes it seem as if he is still around. That's what I love about the internet. Great ideas can live on past the individual until people and societies are more ready for them. So those of us who feel we have got good ideas we want to leave behind better get a move on before our time on this planet is up.

According to Wikipedia Thomas Szasz died September 8, 2012 (aged 92).

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member
    Marlon Wayans: Robin Williams’ Suicide Likely Caused by Antidepressants
    "I don't think it's depression. I think it's chemical..."

“I think there’s something in these medicines that people are taking for depression that’s making them depressed and making them commit suicide,” Wayans said. “I don’t think it’s depression. I think it’s chemical… He was such a joyful dude.”

Wayans’ comments appear to confirm that Williams did indeed use antidepressants, a topic Williams himself causally joked about during at least one recent interview.

“He’s so mellow,” Williams told Entertainment Tonight, describing producer David Kelley. “Talking to him is like taking a Prozac because you feel, you just feel good.”

While drugs like Prozac may cause temporary relief for some, countless studies have found an undeniable link to suicidal thoughts, a side-effect even mentioned on the drug’s insert.

http://www.infowars.com/marlon-wayans-robin-williams-suicide-likely-caused-by-antidepressants/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit