pros and cons of anti depessants?

by Crazyguy 63 Replies latest jw friends

• Fernando
  • matt2414
    matt2414

I was initially prescribed Prozac, but it's effects were not pleasant. At first, I became suicidal, which I wasn't before. So the psychiatrist upped my dosage. Then, as mentioned in previous comments, I turned into a zombie. People would be laughing around me and I would just sit there with my eyes glazed over. I would drive places and not remember how I got there or where I parked my car. I was sleepy all the time. Once I drove to the store to get groceries and then rested my head on the steering wheel after I got there because I was so tired. Next thing I know, I woke up after midnight, it was dark outside, the store was closed and my car was the only one left in the parking lot. On top of all this, the sexual side effects were intolerable.

A close friend of mine had been on Prozac but said it turned him into a zombie, so he quit cold turkey. I considered doing that, but a breakup with my boyfriend and my mother's death drove me to another major depressive episode, or "nervous breakdown" as they used to be called. A friend got me to a doctor who took me off Prozac and put me on Wellbutrin. It worked great! No zombie feelings and my sexual desire and stamina were back. Not only that, Wellbutrin is often prescribed to curb hunger, so there was no weight gain.

After a couple of years on that, the depression was greatly diminished -- I don't know if it ever goes away 100% -- but I still had very dark sadness over any death-related events, entertainment or news. A new psychiatrist did a more thorough examination and found I had both depression and post traumatic stress disorder because of my work and recent personal experiences with the death of several close friends and family members. So I was put on Pristiq to treat both conditions. The meds seemed to work better for a couple of years, but then my doctor moved away and I had a hard time finding a new one who would prescribe me more meds without a lot of examinations. So I gradually weened myself off of the drugs and I've been drug-free for about three years now.

I can feel the depression there at the door, so to speak, but I try hard not to let it in my life. I try to get exercise regularly and I take vitamin B (Super B complex) daily to help regulate my mental health. So far, so good. It also helps to talk to others you're close to so problems don't build up. This seems to work for me, but I know I'll probably have to go back on meds if depression returns for more than a couple of weeks. But I'm good for now.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Fernando I loved the vids thanks. What an interesting guy Peter Breggin is and the Open Dialogue methods begun in Finland and now in the UK apparently. Actually talking to people with severe mental health problems instead of stuffing them with meds, there's a novel idea. Psychosis and schizophrenia need not be a life sentence anymore.

• petitebrunette
    petitebrunette

My husband went through a very bad time this spring. He was depressed, suicidal, and unable to work for about 2 months. A book called The Mood Cure helped immensely! There is a test that helps you determine if you're just blue, have bad depression, or maybe a seasonal sort of thing. It explains the need for healthy fats in our diet to help produce serotonin. Also, there are many amino acids that help your body produce serotonin, dopamine, etc. without the side affects that medicines will give you. Sorry, it's been a while since I read this, so I forget the particulars. You take the needed amino acids, and when your body has enough, your don't take them unless another stressful period in your life makes you need them again.

My husband also deals with alcohol addiction, and it explains how they help with that. He was under such intense stress from work, that his body finally gave out. A better diet rich with healthy fats, and the supplements helped him get better. He also exercised and went to 3 to 4 AA meetings a day. His adrenals were tapped out from dealing with the stress, he developed hypoglycemia. That is ok now. You can read about the book on Amazon, it really is fantastic. He did try Wellbutrin, which made it worse.

Just my 2 cents.

• kokyong.soon3
    kokyong.soon3

hi craztguy

i am a bipolar

the medicine you take is usually prescibed in quantity of 1-3tablets.1 being the least and 3 the maximum. so the least you can take is 1 tablet. But if you skip the medicine ,the medicine will not work.

the next thing to aware is that after taking the medicine you have to make an effort to sleep well,because the medicine may disturb your sleep.

if you are taking the medicine during the day,then it could be prescribed morning afternoon and night.Note that at any one time when you feel nausea stop taking the medicine only to resume when you are feeling well again

• Fernando
    Fernando

An interesting book by Psychiatrist Thomas Szasz has been brought to my attention via PM:

http://www.bookdepository.com/Antipsychiatry-Thomas-Szasz/9780815609438

This exchange of letters between Karl Menninger (of the famous Menninger Institute in Topeka Kansas) and Thomas Szasz may also be of interest:

http://www.szasz.com/menninger.html

• Fernando
    Fernando

This great hope filled article by Psychiatrist Courtenay M Harding, titled "Beautiful minds can be recovered" may also be of interest:

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/10/opinion/beautiful-minds-can-be-reclaimed.html

http://mifellowship.org/sites/default/files/Wellways/Pdfs/Beautiful%20Minds%202013.pdf

If the links don't work they can be found by Googling:

beautiful minds courtenay harding

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

From everything I hear, Germany does much better at treating depression than the USA does.

• Stealth
    Stealth

Dump the wife and get on with your life. Then you won't need the meds. Your not getting any younger.

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

the site cchr.org [citizens commision on human rights] explains how damaging those anti depressants are to the body and mind.

they ruin lots of peoples lives, there is no such thng as a chemical inbalance, we dont have chemicals.

we have hormonal imbalances which are heped with herbs or foods or vitamins.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit